DEAL 10 COMMENTARY THREAD Topic

This is the place to go if you want to pimp your team, dis someone else's team (tactfully and not mean spirited) or just talk about the draft in general. As always, please do NOT mention any NON drafted players.
5/10/2018 4:50 PM
My draft winners and losers so far:

Round one

Best pick/biggest steal: King Kelly to ledfoot at pick 23 and Pedro Martinez to SouthHeat at pick 24

Kelly hits .390 at catcher with a lot of pop and Pedro usually has the best WHIP/ERA in this league. Both should be 10-15 picks

Biggest questin mark: Russ Ford at pick 21 by roadhouse.

Ford is usually taken in the late 2nd round/early 3rd and usually disappoints his owner at that position. Other emntionables include Billy Hamilton going at pick 14 and Mordecai Brown pick 15. Both are usually early to mid 2nd rounders.

ROUND TWO

Best pick/Biggest steal: Stan "The Man" Musial at pick 42 to homiealiens.

Musual is often a late first/early 2nd guy who does it all...power, OPS, SLG, fielding. To get him this late in the 2nd is a major coup! Honorable mentions to Jimmie Foxx, who is usually a 1st rounder, Sandy Koufax, and Hughie Jennings.

Biggest question mark: Luis Tiant at pick 40 to CoachWard2.

Tiant has great stats but they usually don't seem to translate to this league. He is usually a 4th or 5th round pick and usually disappoints. Dishonorable mention to Don Sutton, who usually does well in this league but probably could have been had a few rounds later. Also Roger Connor, who hits for average, has spped but no power. Usually gets drafted far lower that round 2.

ROUND THREE

best pick/Biggest steal: George Brett at pick 54 to jbar.

Brett is usually an early 2nd round pick. Not sure we have seen him fall this far before. Honorable mention to Jeff Bagwell at pick 68 and Hack Wilson at pick 71

Biggest question mark: Ed Reulbach at pick 66 to jetscanes.

Reulbach is a nice pitcher who does ok in this league, but could have been had in round six or seven. Dishonorable mentions to Fred Toney and Vida Blue, who both could have gone a little later.

ROUND FOUR

best pick/Biggest steal: Larry Walker at pick 90 to homiealiens and Ducky Medwick at pick 96 tp cal

Walker hits .700+ slg IRL and has the versatility to play 1b or OF. Medwick always does well in this league and won the RBI title in season nine by THIRTY. Both are absolute STEALS at this point of the draft!

Biggest question mark: Carl Hubbell at pick 80 to bubba

Hubbell is one of the games greats BUT usually sucks in this league, and is usually drafted in round 10-15. Of course bubba doesn't know that since this is his first year in the DEAL. Dishonorable mentions to Eddie Plank at pick 85 and Johan Santana at pick 88, as both usually get picked much lower.

ROUND FIVE

Best pick/Biggest steal: Jesse Burkett at pick 112 to Rattlers and Babe Herman at pick 116 to greatbrain.

A legit .400 hitter this late? STEAL! and a .490 hitter with a RL .700+ SLG %? STEAL! Honorable mentions to Craig Kimbrel at pick 102, Norm Cash at 103 and Fred Clarke at 110.

Biggest question mark: Mort Cooper at pick 114 to jetscanes

Cooper has had great seasons in the DEAL and terrible seasons as well. Often depends on the ballpark chosen. Either way, Mort usually is available in round 8-12 or so, so this is far too early. Of rourse, jets gets pass since this is his first season in the DEAL too. Dishonorable mentions to Bill Bernhard at pick 104. and Lave Cross at pick 111. Both are solid players but there were so many more better players on the board at the time.

ROUND SIX

Best pick/Biggest steal: Al Rosen at pick 140 to Got_Worms

Rosen is the highest priced third baseman and I think he often gets overlooked. Although I have never used him in this league, he has a ton of pop with the bat and is a GREAT fielder and hits for a decent average. Honorable mentions to Hank Greenberg at pick 127 (I had him last season and was very happy with his production), Mariano Rivera at pick 132, Sammy Sosa at pick 137, Ken Williams at pick 134 (underrated) and Richie Ashburn at pick 138 (mainly because I really wanted him)

Biggest question mark: Jesse Tannehill at pick 124 or Bill Sweeney at pick 136. Tannehill is a nice late round gamble but in round SIX??? I think roadie coulda got him in round 13. And Sweeney has only been drafted in this league ONE time and that was in the very late rounds. Dishonorable mention to Charlie Buffinton, who is about the 4th or 5th best pitcher of the 400-500 IP pitchers and the other fourr are still out there at this point.

ROUND SEVEN

Best pick/Biggest steal: Wade Davis at pick 158 to ej.

This is getting rougher now, as many in this round were picked in about the right spot. Davis is my choice because I like him and his numbers better than a handful of relievers that have already been drafted before him. Honorable mentions Benny Kauff at pick 146 and Joe Mauer at pick 160

Biggest question mark: Corey Kluber at pick 151

His numbers IRL are outstanding but for some reason, he was shelled much of last season. Was that a complete fluke or will he disappoint again big time?

ROUND EIGHT

Best pick/Biggest steal: Freddy Lindstrom at pick 179 to ej

Possibly the best all around third baseman in the sim, just behind Brett. Hits for big time average and the power numbers are sneakily there too. Pretty good fielder too for the position. Very close honorable mention to Bill Dickey at pick 190.

Biggest question mark: George Stone at pick 178

Nice player but probably could have gotten him in round 10 or 11. There were just so many better OF choices IMO including 1 or 2 later in this round alone. Dishonorable mentions to Ichiro at pick 172 (nice player but coulda gotten him a few rounds later) and Denny Lyons at pick 189 (not a good fielder and as a DH, I feel there were MANY better choices)

ROUND NINE

Best pick/Biggest steal: I hate to say it but Alex Rodriguez at pick 195 to je3rd

A-Rod's best season in Seattle is one of the best at SS in the game. Lots of gap power, .351 avg, good speed and above avg fielding. Honorable mentions to Mel Ott at pick 197, Lance Berkman and Fred Lynn at picks 209 and 210 and Takashi Saito at 212 (numbers roughly equal with the previous half dozen relievers chosen.

Biggest question mark: Sam Crawford at pick 201. Crawford gets drafted in perhaps half of the previous DEAL leagues and usually in the later rounds. Lots and lots of better choices at this point but Coach obviously saw something he liked. Dishonorable mentions to Marco Scutaro at pick 202. I know he has great numbers for a backup IF but round NINE??? Then again, it's kelly, who has won the DEAL three times now while I have yet to sniff a championship series. Vean Gregg always does well in this league, it seems--except for last season for me of course...but still isn't round nine a bit too early for him?

5/13/2018 9:55 PM (edited)
I know the general theme in these leagues is dead ball era pitchers and hitters. I love lefty power/walk guys (Bonds, McCovey, Bryce Harper) and I'll pick a stadium and try to make them thrive, well maybe at home. It's tough to wait 24 picks for the next round. I'm playing in some divisional drafts with just 4 teams drafting. Those are a lot better for my OCD of not wanting to wait so long. It's been a fun draft so far.
''
5/10/2018 5:50 PM (edited)
I'm trying a strategy of low strikeout, high average hitters with an emphasis on walks and doubles. Need to pick the right stadium!
5/10/2018 6:11 PM
Take it, it's a fair DEAL!
Chase Field

C) Darrell Porter
1B) Albert Pujols
2B) Eddie Collins
3B) Al Rosen
SS) Bill Dahlen
OF) Joe DiMaggio
OF) Mel Ott
OF) Earle Combs
DH) Pete Browning
Bench) Rudy York
Bench) Shane Spencer
Bench) Elmer Valo
Bench) Eddie Stanky
Bench) Jay Bell

SP) Walter Johnson
SP) Jack Chesbro
SP) Joe McGinnity
RP) Cisco Carlos
RP) John Smoltz
RP) Nick Maddox
RP) Tug McGraw
RP) Harry Coveleski
RP) Roy Mitchell
RP) Earl Moore
RP) Aaron Loup
5/26/2018 12:43 PM (edited)
Okay I'll Put mine!

Stadium TBD
C
1B Lance Berkman
2B
3B
SS Robin Yount
OF Carl Yastremski
OF Willie Wilson
OF Bernie Williams
DH Ed Delahanty
P Ed Morris
P Cy Young
P Carl Hubbell
P Tom Seaver
P Rollie Fingers
P Dazzy Vance
5/16/2018 2:01 PM (edited)
Great post amerk.

I know this thread is all for entertainment purposes.

And isn't this what WIS is all about? Fun and entertainment.

So I want to visit the Pedro Martinez, Greg Maddux in the first round debate.

I'm sure you guys know this is a small ball league. Which makes Pedro, and Maddux great picks. They give up HR's. No big deal in this league.

BUT and this is a great BUT, Pedro and Maddux are limited pitchers. They are both low 200 IP pitchers.

I debate either one of them are first round picks.

Just my opinion, but neither belong in the first round.

5/13/2018 8:08 PM
Their low ERA and especially WHIP #'s make them VERY valuable. You know that with a decent pitchers park they are both gonna give you 6 or 7 innings each start and they will almost all be QUALITY starts. With most deadball or other 250+ IP starters, in at least one out of three starts, they are going to get LIT UP. The exceptions to this IMO are Walsh, Johnson, Joss, Matheson, Alexander and maybe Silver King in Petco. I have owned Mordecai and Cicotte and they get lit once every three or four starts. To me, it's all about QUALITY starts and I'd rather have Pedro or Maddux get 24 out of 27 starts than one of the other innings eaters get 24 out of 38 or 42 or whatever. But thas just me and maybe why I haven't won this thing yet.
5/13/2018 9:11 PM
ROUND SEVEN

Best pick/Biggest steal: Wade Davis at pick 158 to ej.

I drafted a 41 game winner in round #7!!!
5/14/2018 1:36 AM
ROUND EIGHT

Best pick/Biggest steal: Freddy Lindstrom at pick 179 to ej

Possibly the best all around third baseman in the sim, just behind Brett. Hits for big time average and the power numbers are sneakily there too. Pretty good fielder too for the position. Very close honorable mention to Bill Dickey at pick 190.

Darrin Erstad was a really good pick in this round also. I wanted him badly!
5/14/2018 2:11 AM
1B: Joey Votto
2B: Cupid Childs
3B: Frank Baker
SS: Hughie Jennings
OF: Hank Aaron
OF: Larry Doby
DH: Gary Sheffield

SP: Russ Ford
SP: Dutch Leonard
SP: Chief Bender
SP: Jesse Tannehill

RP: Dan Quisenberry

What do you think?
5/17/2018 5:14 PM (edited)
Better add some quality relief pitchers PDQ roadie...if there are any left at this point lol. Quis is the kinda guy who can get HAMMERED in this league with that high "opponents average against" of his (.229 I think)
5/15/2018 2:13 AM
Where is our Round #10 and #11 analysis???
5/16/2018 3:27 PM
This is gonna be interesting and fun and perhaps record setting for me this season:
1.49 .192 0.84
ERA OAV WHIP

For my team in Petco Park so far with maybe two pitchers left to get. I think I've had lower team OAV and WHIP before but never THIS low of a team ERA; If I don't lead the league in runs allowed, I will be absolutely SHOCKED!
5/22/2018 8:18 PM

amerk,

At Petco, I'm sure you will lead the league in fewest Runs allowed. Good luck with that :) .

But I've never looked at ERA in any way, although OAV# , and Whip# is very important. With HR# being a distant 3rd.
5/23/2018 2:15 PM
12 Next ▸
DEAL 10 COMMENTARY THREAD Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.