Can this player get away with being a starting SS? Topic

Player Profile: Santo Moreno - Hardball Dynasty Baseball | WhatIfSports

Many of you know how to look at my entire team - and if you do that, I would love different opinions on what my starting lineup should be?
5/11/2018 9:16 AM
He will have a tough time out there for the most part. He played a few games at SS in AAA and had a fielding pct of .940 with 10 errors that season then had 31 the next playing a full season at SS
5/11/2018 1:07 PM
SS no, 3B is the place for him.
5/11/2018 2:31 PM
I wouldn't be so quick about saying no. It's all about will the offense he produces justify the errors/- plays that he will have. He would be a stud 2B/3B, but you have to figure out if he is going to be a better fit than the "true" shortstops that you have in AAA/FA. People are always too quick to say "never" in these forums.
5/11/2018 3:39 PM
No two ways to win. Pluses versus minuses. What other players are available, and what are their pluses and minuses?

He will be a below average fielder for the SS position. The game will punish him for it. He may be bad; depending on variables and results he could possibly be terrible. He might (probably?) at the same time be the best hitting SS in the league.

The question isn't whether Moreno can get away with being a starting SS, it's whether the owner is willing to get away with him being a starting SS.
5/11/2018 4:23 PM
I say do it! He won't get that that many - plays. He'll have a lot of errors but all SS do in this game that are under like 90 glove
5/11/2018 5:57 PM
Looking at your whole team, you have a stellar defense. It is a strong team, and a lot of the pitching is also solid. I think you have too many pitchers and not enough strong RPs (playing in Syracuse 12 pitchers should be plenty).

I might trade Slaughter and/or Knight. Once a roster spot is opened call up Belfiore from AAA as a defensive backup SS.

I also think I'd play Santos at SS over Moreno. His range is a little weaker, but otherwise he is better defensively.

If it were my team I'd play them as follows:

Ozuna @ 1B
Noesi @ 2B -- Best glove who doesn't have the AS/AA for SS should play 2B
Moreno @ 3B
Santos @ SS
Davis in LF
Altuve in CF
Bogusevic in RF -- Range is not as important in RF as LF.
Perez @ DH

5/11/2018 10:10 PM (edited)
Thanks for all the replies. I'm still unsure. Might roll as is. Any further thoughts?
5/13/2018 7:50 AM
He never would for me but everyone has there own ways.
5/14/2018 3:48 PM
Here's a comparison. You can see he plays far better at 3B than SS, but Ive had a difficult time getting a SS that wasnt a complete noodle-bat. For me, its working ok and he's producing at the plate, but in a perfect world these types of players are 3B.

https://www.whatifsports.com/hbd/Pages/Popups/PlayerStats.aspx?pid=7785059
5/16/2018 1:02 PM
Player Profile: Jairo Asencio - Hardball Dynasty Baseball | WhatIfSports

This player is similar as well. My team won over 100 games and the #1 seed with him at SS. He will move to 2nd this next season, but he didn't kill me at SS either.
5/16/2018 4:05 PM
I don't think his offense outweighs the poor defense. Not only will he make a ton of errors and minus plays at SS, but you're also giving up the 12-15 plus plays he would probably have at 3B.
5/16/2018 4:15 PM
I recently signed my old SS Freeman Harding because nobody paid the outrageous request he had for Free Agency. So I wound up getting him back for half. Seriously have some soul searching to do. Because if you look at my team mbriese, I have another good bat/defensive player at 3rd. So inevitably, someone is going to be left out of my lineup. Maybe I need to part with someone to get some relief help.
5/17/2018 10:04 AM
If you don't plan on adding a good defensive SS, I'd at least play Russ Davis at SS over Moreno. Let Moreno play LF/RF, Keep Santos at 3B, move Noesi to 2B, Commack in LF/RF. I'd also start initiating trade discussions with people that need a 3B; I prioritize defense but would much rather sacrifice 10 points in each defense category in LF and RF (especially RF) for a bigger bat.
5/17/2018 12:20 PM
Can this player get away with being a starting SS? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.