One 3.0 recruiting benefit Topic

One thing I will say that I like about 3.0 recruiting as opposed to how it was in 2.0 is that if you only have one opening, you still have a good chance of landing a top player. Was able to get the #6 player in the country at U. Conn. Went all in on him with 40AP per cycle, and could spend the same amount as other teams. In 2.0, a team with multiple openings could have outspent us by a lot. This is more realistic in that respect.
5/14/2018 5:24 PM
That's true. I've lost battles that I was winning in the past because I chased a "late" signee and could only offer 40 APs per cycle after all of my early guys signed, but that's the only time I've really felt restricted by having 40 APs with one opening.
5/14/2018 5:30 PM
Chapel--looks like you didn't have anyone else pursuing him though. 40AP doesn't get you in the discussion if other teams are involved. A B- pumping 80AP per cycle could have bumped you down to moderate unless you had a crazy preference advantage.
5/15/2018 1:56 PM
Posted by snafu4u on 5/15/2018 1:56:00 PM (view original):
Chapel--looks like you didn't have anyone else pursuing him though. 40AP doesn't get you in the discussion if other teams are involved. A B- pumping 80AP per cycle could have bumped you down to moderate unless you had a crazy preference advantage.
But that is still a major difference than 2.0. In 2.0, only having one opening meant that you always had to worry about being outspent with someone dropping 30 HVs and 5 CVs in a cycle and running away with the player because you didn't have the $$$$$ to compete.

The introduction of APs + the limits on spending + the weights given to preferences mean that a team with one opening has a fair shot at landing a good player in a contested battle. As you point out, it's not a guarantee -- if a team wants to throw 80 AP at the player every single cycle, max out promises and max out visits, yeah, they'll probably knock you down -- but it's a much fairer fight.
5/15/2018 3:44 PM
I'm probably all alone on this one...

But I don't see how this is necessarily a good thing for the game. Sure, it worked out great for you Chapel so of course you love it. And you're obviously one of the best coaches on here but what exactly did you do in this scenario? Just click the button to set it to 40 and then click the HV button 20 times and click the CV button once? How is that a fun, exciting and strategic system?

I don't see why having caps on HVs is a good thing. They should set budget with the bulk coming from a lump sum and a small % based upon open openings and remove the HV cap. It limits choices and decision making in the current set up.

In your scenario all you had to do was say - yup, I can afford to go all in and preferences look good so I'll do that and sit back and wait for the dice roll. But what about the other teams? They can look at you and know exactly how much money you have to spend and know exactly how much effort you can put in and exactly how much effort they can put in and what both of your preferences are.

Instead of thinking "hmm, should I try to outspend him here and risk losing out on my 2nd and 3rd player" he's thinking "Okay I have enough money to match his effort exactly and still have enough to spend 20 HVs 1 CV on player 2 with enough leftover to send 5 more HVs to player 3". It's basically just a set the max amount and kick back and wait for the roll.
5/15/2018 8:53 PM (edited)
And by setting the budget mostly from a lump sum so budgets are close, you won't have people peeing their panties when they see someone with more openings than them. But they will know that if they overextend themselves then they risk losing other players.

The reason Seble set the HV limit was because he was worried that people would spend too much of their budget on one player and then not be able to recruit others... That's a bad reason for doing it in my book. Decrease strategy and decision making so people don't get upset.

And why is AP capped per turn but not overall? It's backwards IMO. HVs should be capped per turn (to reduce poaching) and APs should be limited overall (or not at all, whatever).
5/15/2018 8:55 PM (edited)
Another benefit of setting budget as set baseline amount is that you won't have the popular strategy of intentionally taking walkons to rollover recruiting cash.

You'd actually need to make a decision on whether you want to take a walkon or take a more developmental type player since it doesn't really give you much of an advantage to take multiple walk ons.

Again - more viable and legitimate decisions equals a better and more strategic game.
5/15/2018 6:58 PM
Wow, I agree with most of what Benis stated. That alone makes my opinion suspect.
5/15/2018 8:42 PM
Posted by Benis on 5/15/2018 6:51:00 PM (view original):

But I don't see how this is necessarily a good thing for the game. Sure, it worked out great you Chapel so of course you love it. And you're obviously one of the best coaches on here but what exactly did you do in this scenario? Just click the button to set it to 40 and then click the HV button 20 times and click the CV button once? How is that a fun, exciting and strategic system?

I don't see why having caps on HVs is a good thing. They should set budget with the bulk coming from a lump sum and a small % based upon open openings and remove the HV cap. It limits choices and decision making in the current set up.

In your scenario all you had to do was say - yup, I can afford to go all in and preferences look good so I'll do that and sit back and wait for the dice roll. But what about the other teams? They can look at you and know exactly how much money you have to spend and know exactly how much effort you can put in and exactly how much effort they can put in and what both of your preferences are.

Instead of thinking "hmm, should I try to outspend him here and risk losing out on my 2nd and 3rd player" he's thinking "Okay I have enough money to match his effort exactly and still have enough to spend 20 HVs 1 CV on player 2 with enough leftover to send 5 more HVs to player 3". It's basically just a set the max amount and kick back and wait for the roll.

I tend to agree. Sometimes, it's just hit it up and wait for the roll. It's most of the recruits in D1
5/15/2018 8:43 PM
Posted by zorzii on 5/15/2018 8:43:00 PM (view original):
Posted by Benis on 5/15/2018 6:51:00 PM (view original):

But I don't see how this is necessarily a good thing for the game. Sure, it worked out great you Chapel so of course you love it. And you're obviously one of the best coaches on here but what exactly did you do in this scenario? Just click the button to set it to 40 and then click the HV button 20 times and click the CV button once? How is that a fun, exciting and strategic system?

I tend to agree. Sometimes, it's just hit it up and wait for the roll. It's most of the recruits in D1
That's exactly what it is. Lower divisions require great strategic decisions. DI is just put your money down and wait for the river card.
5/15/2018 8:50 PM
Posted by gomiami1972 on 5/15/2018 8:42:00 PM (view original):
Wow, I agree with most of what Benis stated. That alone makes my opinion suspect.
C'mon in baby the water's fine
5/15/2018 8:52 PM
And I guess I also don't get why you say your example is more realistic. A top 10 player only having 1 scholarship offer isn't very realistic.
5/15/2018 9:05 PM
I do find it strange that nobody challenged. Literally the first thing I do is see how many scholarships a competitor may have (relative to my own team.) One scholarship is still a flashing beacon (IMHO) to take that coach to task...I don't care what the school's prestige is.
5/15/2018 9:15 PM
Posted by gomiami1972 on 5/15/2018 9:15:00 PM (view original):
I do find it strange that nobody challenged. Literally the first thing I do is see how many scholarships a competitor may have (relative to my own team.) One scholarship is still a flashing beacon (IMHO) to take that coach to task...I don't care what the school's prestige is.
8 grand is enough to go all in if he's less than 200 miles (something like that).
5/15/2018 9:21 PM
Posted by Benis on 5/15/2018 9:21:00 PM (view original):
Posted by gomiami1972 on 5/15/2018 9:15:00 PM (view original):
8 grand is enough to go all in if he's less than 200 miles (something like that).
5K should be enough. Still, somebody else in the Northeast with 4+ schollies should have seen the vulnerability and made a run...unless a lot of DI coaches are simply avoiding EE types .
5/15/2018 9:29 PM
12345 Next ▸
One 3.0 recruiting benefit Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.