Strategy for Bloated Payroll Topic

The previous owner of a team I took over signed a bunch of past prime players to long term deals. Any suggestions on strategies of how to work around these contracts? I have considered waiving the better players and trading them has proved difficult. Otherwise I am looking to bide my time and focus on rebuilding the farm system. I waited out the FA market for bargains and tried picking up talent via the Rule V Draft. Any creative ideas on how to maximize the rest of the payroll would be appreciated.
5/14/2018 6:01 PM
Waive them. Don't try to get anything but salary relief.

Offer them in trades along with your best prospects. IMO, it's easier to great a good team faster with no prospects and a lot of budget than with some good prospects and a lot of money tied up in contracts.

5/15/2018 7:54 AM
See 2016 New York Yankees. I am in my first season. Had the same issue. Bite the bullet and wait it out. I demoted the overpaid players that aren't productive, traded them by including prospects for anything in return. I found players in the minors that should have had an opportunity in the majors. Player Profile: Cutter Turner - Hardball Dynasty Baseball | WhatIfSports Player Profile: Nicholas Gallagher - Hardball Dynasty Baseball | WhatIfSports Player Profile: Olmedo Guzman - Hardball Dynasty Baseball | WhatIfSports
5/15/2018 8:04 AM
I'm not one to give away prospects for cap relief, so my recommendation to you would be to make player search your best friend. There are tons of teams in every league with a wide variety of position players and pitchers that are undervalued. I was in this boat a few seasons ago with my Houston squad, but I traded like a madman with people who were all but giving their "AAAA" players away. After a season or two of productivity out of them, you can either include them in bigger trades or keep them as cheap role players when you've got the cap to go wild in free agency.

Try to start with a few attributes you might value highly that other people may not. For instance, I'm fine with a pitcher that has mediocre splits if he has above average control and GB/FB. I'm fine with almost any type of hitter who is a plus-defender with high batting eye. There are steals to be made; it just might take some work to find them.
5/15/2018 2:27 PM
Thanks for the recommendations.
5/15/2018 6:07 PM
Mbriese takes the approach I take.
5/17/2018 5:01 PM
Strategy for Bloated Payroll Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.