Isolated D2 Locations? Topic

That's kinda how i looked at things shoe. One thing I try to pay attention to..... now that I'm up to 8 seasons in D2 crum (my longest tenured team since I've been back), I recognize all the D2 coaches at the top, from competing with them.

When i see a successful team become vacant, or if they have a new coach, I check to see where the previous coach went. If they moved up to D1 and the school is in my location, it helps with awareness, knowing that I've got more competition for D1 project/ D2 elite recruits
5/17/2018 10:32 AM
Posted by topdogggbm on 5/17/2018 4:35:00 AM (view original):
Maybe i recruit different (or recruit wrong), but at D2, none of this isolation stuff matters. Now, i understand the benefit to it in theory. But for me, I hop around with recruits non stop. Especially with poaching. It's not surprising for me to have 12 guys from 12 different states.

It reminds me of Mike Tyson's famous quote.... "Everybody has a game plan 'til they get hit in the mouth"

I can scout and prepare for days. And aim for local guys in an attempt to get the best and closest talent. And two cycles into recruiting, here comes D1 humans, or multiple A+ D2 prestige humans fighting for the same guys (whether the coaches are local or not).

For me, recruiting NEVER goes to plan. If I have 4 openings, I may have 20 targets that stand out above the rest. And when it's over, I'll sign 4 and possibly none are from my original targets. And often they are better players. Guys that are being overlooked.

When you're in an isolated location, sure, there may be less to choose from and less competition. But I've never had a recruiting session yet where I set out for "these 4 guys" and end up signing "these 4 guys".

(I've never played in Hawaii. So I'm sure that's a lot different. But a place like Grand Canyon for example, there's PLENTY of states nearby to get players that are equal or better than the locals. And the budget allows that)

I would also think by now, this has a reverse effect. "Well there's only 1 D2 school in Arizona, let's see what that state has to offer this season since i won't have to battle very many schools"..... says 20 coaches from California.

Am i wrong here?
Yes, you are partially wrong here. Assuming Chapelhillne's list of Most Championships in 3.0 (by school) is accurate, the "20 schools in California" have a combined 11 DII National titles. Grand Canyon has 5, Puerto Rico (San Juan) has 3 and Montana State-Billings has 2. That comes out to 10 for those three isolated/partially isolated DII schools.

Isolation, in the right location, does matter.
5/18/2018 8:29 PM (edited)
Valid points. But clearly that could involve many other factors. First one that comes to mind.... who are these coaches?

You put Only or Afry in California, and me at Grand Canyon, and those stats won't look like that at all.

but there is somewhat of a pattern there. And that can't be dismissed. I'll give you that
5/18/2018 5:35 PM
Posted by topdogggbm on 5/18/2018 5:36:00 PM (view original):
Valid points. But clearly that could involve many other factors. First one that comes to mind.... who are these coaches?

You put Only or Afry in California, and me at Grand Canyon, and those stats won't look like that at all.

but there is somewhat of a pattern there. And that can't be dismissed. I'll give you that
Don't sell yourself short, lol. Your basic premise is true. If the best HD coach (debatable) lands at the best isolated HD location (DIII Palm Beach Atlantic and that's not debatable,) have mercy for everyone else in that division.
5/18/2018 8:34 PM
I know.... my first title is on the horizon!
5/18/2018 9:28 PM
Posted by bbunch on 5/16/2018 5:16:00 PM (view original):
I love coaching Hawaii Pacific in Rupp - built that team up pretty quickly. Hawaii has a very top-notch coach in D1 though, so it's hard to get Hawaiian players that are steals, but we can recruit any leftovers that a in the b doesn't want and we are likely to get them.
Gonna make me blush with that description.
5/21/2018 9:47 AM
◂ Prev 12
Isolated D2 Locations? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.