I think I already know the answer Topic

But... is there ANY scenario where an extremely low WE would be worth recruiting?
5/17/2018 11:46 AM
Depends how you define "extremely low". I've done well with guys as low as 18 - with a lot of early playing time, they can still achieve most (though usually not all) of their potential by their senior year. But I don't take anyone below that.
5/17/2018 11:49 AM
Yeah my arbitrary cut off is about 20, I've done fairly well in the past with someone as low as 15 by giving him lots of PT. I just didn't know if there were any WE wizards out there that had a way to work with single digit WE.
5/17/2018 11:53 AM
Posted by billscnb on 5/17/2018 11:46:00 AM (view original):
But... is there ANY scenario where an extremely low WE would be worth recruiting?
Only time I would take a guy with a work ethic below 10 is if he had extremely good ratings and has little room for growth, those are the players that sometimes get overlooked.
5/17/2018 12:15 PM
Yes of course there are scenarios.

If you're at D3, wouldnt you take a guy with 1 WE if he was 80s in his cores?
5/17/2018 12:30 PM
If you have any hard cutoff of what WE you will EVER take then you're making a mistake IMO.
5/17/2018 12:33 PM
Posted by Benis on 5/17/2018 12:33:00 PM (view original):
If you have any hard cutoff of what WE you will EVER take then you're making a mistake IMO.
In theory, I agree with that. But I spent a few recruiting seasons in D2 (as an A+ team) looking for exactly the kind of guys we're talking about: <10 WE, incredible cores already. And (a) there were very few of them who were really fine to play as-is, and (b) D1 teams went after them too. I don't think there's a market inefficiency there.

So yeah, I agree you shouldn't go into recruiting with an arbitrary cut-off, but I think people are disappointed when they expect a treasure trove of low-WE gems.
5/17/2018 12:41 PM
This guy started at 10 WE.

https://ibb.co/nzZCJ

Gained 102 over 4 years...
5/17/2018 12:46 PM
Posted by bhansalid00 on 5/17/2018 12:41:00 PM (view original):
Posted by Benis on 5/17/2018 12:33:00 PM (view original):
In theory, I agree with that. But I spent a few recruiting seasons in D2 (as an A+ team) looking for exactly the kind of guys we're talking about: <10 WE, incredible cores already. And (a) there were very few of them who were really fine to play as-is, and (b) D1 teams went after them too. I don't think there's a market inefficiency there.

So yeah, I agree you shouldn't go into recruiting with an arbitrary cut-off, but I think people are disappointed when they expect a treasure trove of low-WE gems.
Yeah I wouldn't say you should go into recruiting with the objective of finding a low WE guy who happens to have great starting ratings and is ignored by others. But I wouldn't automatically set your recruiting filter at >20 WE and never even look at those players below a certain level.

Just like I don't go out to bars intentionally looking for a hog molly.... but at 2am, desperate times man...

5/17/2018 1:15 PM
This guy

Started with 5 WE. Avg 14ppg and 7.1 rpg for his career and was drafted in 2nd round.
5/17/2018 1:16 PM
To sum up, never go looking for a guy with a below-20 WE. But you can recruit them if their ratings are good enough to immediately start for you (Benis's guy was a center with freshman ratings of 84 ATH, 92 REB, 90 DE, 95 BLK and 79 LP, which is good enough to start for almost any team in the country) and you are OK with those ratings never improving (Benis's guy improved, but he was good enough to play all 4 years at his freshman ratings).

Never take a low WE guy to play a fringe role on your roster. You are better off taking a walk-on.
5/17/2018 2:10 PM
i took a guy with 1 WE bc he was more than good enough to start on day 1. even though he declined every year, he was still good enough to be a backup his sr year.
5/17/2018 2:32 PM
Posted by grimacedance on 5/17/2018 2:10:00 PM (view original):
To sum up, never go looking for a guy with a below-20 WE. But you can recruit them if their ratings are good enough to immediately start for you (Benis's guy was a center with freshman ratings of 84 ATH, 92 REB, 90 DE, 95 BLK and 79 LP, which is good enough to start for almost any team in the country) and you are OK with those ratings never improving (Benis's guy improved, but he was good enough to play all 4 years at his freshman ratings).

Never take a low WE guy to play a fringe role on your roster. You are better off taking a walk-on.
Here's another guy I've had with low WE. This guy is MUCH worse than Steffey but I lost a battle and was a little desperate. He was a Juco too so I knew I'd only have him for 2 seasons.

He gave me a decent defensive SG to plug in on my press team that had very little depth. And he was a starter on a FF team so he got the job done well enough.

But yeah, he wasn't my first choice but I definitely had a better team by grabbing him.
5/17/2018 2:39 PM
Posted by billscnb on 5/17/2018 11:46:00 AM (view original):
Yes.
5/17/2018 3:22 PM
I have recruited guys down to a 2 WE, but only when his ratings at the time of Signing were able to help me at that rate, during all four years of his scholarship.
5/18/2018 1:29 PM
12 Next ▸
I think I already know the answer Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.