(Shrugging) Guess people have to get every edge they can...

Whether that advantage results from an external community that meets to discus the game in private, or an app that organizes information that's already available to everyone anyway. Just seems kind of inconsistent to criticize one and engage in the other.
5/20/2018 1:52 PM (edited)
Posted by rh32 on 5/19/2018 10:11:00 AM (view original):
The fact that there is an app that facilitates discussion about the game outside of this forum (slack app?) is way more disturbing. Is that what Tigerpark used?

Also, I do a lot of my recruiting from my phone. Does that make people who use computers cheaters because I use technology that makes recruiting more difficult? (it's a rhetorical question and the answer is no)
What if you talked in Real Life with another coach. Same difference with 'Slack' it is a modern version of a 'message board' ... which this is.
5/21/2018 7:23 AM
Posted by bagchucker on 5/19/2018 3:54:00 AM (view original):
Posted by bhazlewood on 5/18/2018 7:45:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bagchucker on 5/18/2018 7:07:00 PM (view original):
seeing a breakout of the teams that are on a player, not just the world multiples

please explain

ability to download in multiple threads

please explain

GPA and formation maybe i get. smart guys i can filter for or something
When a recruit is considering multiple schools, it will be listed as "multiple". With the donor feature unlocked, it will list the schools (i.e. the program shows "Harvard" "Yale" "Princeton" instead of "Multiple".)

Threads - ah let's see... trying to keep this from being too technical.. threads are basically the computer executing an instruction - in this case, the instruction to go download some data. By utilizing multiple threads, the computer can execute multiple instructions simultaneously - so multiple downloads all happening at the same time means you get the data faster. Let's assume that the program issues an instruction to "download all of the QB's at D1AA" - with single thread processing, the next position won't start downloading until the the first one is finished. With multi-threads, it would download all of the QB's while it is downloading all of the RB's and all of the WR's and all of the TE's and... well, you get the idea. I hope that explains it.
appreciate

breakout: the sim right now shows three. your example shows three. please explain
i'd like an answer here
5/21/2018 9:48 PM
Posted by clememp on 5/21/2018 7:23:00 AM (view original):
The fact that there is an app that facilitates discussion about the game outside of this forum (slack app?) is way more disturbing. Is that what Tigerpark used?

Also, I do a lot of my recruiting from my phone. Does that make people who use computers cheaters because I use technology that makes recruiting more difficult? (it's a rhetorical question and the answer is no)
What if you talked in Real Life with another coach. Same difference with 'Slack' it is a modern version of a 'message board' ... which this is.
That's why all of this about the yatzr tool is such a non-issue. People like tigerpark talked to people they knew in real life and colluded. That's cheating. Now there is an entire external message board where people could potentially collaborate, collude, share information nobody else has. And apparently using technology to share information with other players about the game is cool in chrondon's book, but using technology to aggregate information that anyone playing the game can get anyway is not cool with chrondon. It just seems inconsistent to criticize one and engage in the other.
5/21/2018 10:52 PM
When a recruit is considering multiple schools, it will be listed as "multiple". With the donor feature unlocked, it will list the schools (i.e. the program shows "Harvard" "Yale" "Princeton" instead of "Multiple".)

when i watch recruiting i see me another school and another school OR i see me and another school OR i see me OR i see multiple

how many do you see by number or name when you plunk down your sawbuck
5/21/2018 11:25 PM (edited)
Posted by bagchucker on 5/21/2018 9:50:00 PM (view original):
seeing a breakout of the teams that are on a player, not just the world multiples

please explain

please explain

Threads - ah let's see... trying to keep this from being too technical.. threads are basically the computer executing an instruction - in this case, the instruction to go download some data. By utilizing multiple threads, the computer can execute multiple instructions simultaneously - so multiple downloads all happening at the same time means you get the data faster. Let's assume that the program issues an instruction to "download all of the QB's at D1AA" - with single thread processing, the next position won't start downloading until the the first one is finished. With multi-threads, it would download all of the QB's while it is downloading all of the RB's and all of the WR's and all of the TE's and... well, you get the idea. I hope that explains it.
appreciate

breakout: the sim right now shows three. your example shows three. please explain
i'd like an answer here
What don't you understand? That I used the number "3" to represent multiple (e.g. greater than 1) ? It is a common scenario (3 Sims on a recruit) which is why it was cited in the example. Or does the concept of "three" somehow befuddle you?

If you look at the recruit list on WIS web page, if the recruit is considering more than one school, it will show the word "multiple" in the column labelled "considering". The yatzr tool also uses the word "multiple" if more the recruit is considering more than one school. If the "donor functions" are unlocked (donor functions = parts of the tool that are available to to people who have donated money to yatzr - don't want you to need that defined too.) then instead of the word "multiple" you would see the names of the schools.
5/22/2018 10:46 AM
Posted by bhazlewood on 5/22/2018 10:46:00 AM (view original):

please explain

please explain

appreciate

i'd like an answer here
What don't you understand? That I used the number "3" to represent multiple (e.g. greater than 1) ? It is a common scenario (3 Sims on a recruit) which is why it was cited in the example. Or does the concept of "three" somehow befuddle you?

If you look at the recruit list on WIS web page, if the recruit is considering more than one school, it will show the word "multiple" in the column labelled "considering". The yatzr tool also uses the word "multiple" if more the recruit is considering more than one school. If the "donor functions" are unlocked (donor functions = parts of the tool that are available to to people who have donated money to yatzr - don't want you to need that defined too.) then instead of the word "multiple" you would see the names of the schools.
But then again, everything could change depending on what the definition of "is" is. ;) hahahha
5/22/2018 11:37 AM
Posted by rh32 on 5/21/2018 10:52:00 PM (view original):

That's why all of this about the yatzr tool is such a non-issue. People like tigerpark talked to people they knew in real life and colluded. That's cheating. Now there is an entire external message board where people could potentially collaborate, collude, share information nobody else has. And apparently using technology to share information with other players about the game is cool in chrondon's book, but using technology to aggregate information that anyone playing the game can get anyway is not cool with chrondon. It just seems inconsistent to criticize one and engage in the other.
So you want an online game where people do not communicate with one another?
5/22/2018 2:23 PM

please explain

please explain

appreciate

i'd like an answer here

how many names

how long is the list
5/22/2018 2:49 PM
Posted by bagchucker on 5/22/2018 2:49:00 PM (view original):

please explain

please explain

appreciate

i'd like an answer here

how many names

how long is the list
Not sure if you are messing around trying to confuse the issue. I'm not sure if I should even try to explain something that shouldn't really need explaining ..but I'm bored, so here goes.

Example.

WIS recruiting tool. Recruit is listed as 'multiple'. So you click on the player and find 2 human teams and 3 sims are listed. Human teams are Ohio State and Michigan. Sims are Illinois, Wisconsin and Buffalo

Yatzr tool shows 5 teams listed. 2 human teams and 3 sims. Human teams are Ohio State and Michigan. Sims are Illinois, Wisconsin and Buffalo

***** Whatever the WIS recruiting tool shows is exactly what yatzr shows. No less, no more. ******

If WIS shows 2 teams on a recruit, yatzr will show the same 2 teams on the recruit
If WIS shows 3 teams on a recruit, yatzr will show the same 2 teams on the recruit
etc
etc
etc
5/22/2018 3:01 PM
I just read this thread and my head hurts. If anyone has a problem with yatzr (or whatever tool will be available 5 days after that stops working), they should either stop playing GD or keep it to themselves. These guys remind me of old people in the early 1900's who demanded cars get off the road because they were scaring the horses. Technology changes, use it or don't. These "old school" arguments are insane. Do you do your taxes on an abacus? No, because better tools are now available. These guys probably have record players "because they sound better than digital." Cry me a river.
5/22/2018 4:49 PM (edited)
Record players do sound better than digital.....you cant hear the needle on digital....lol...
5/22/2018 8:39 PM
Well, at least we've identified the 'panty boys' here at GD...
5/22/2018 8:46 PM
Posted by genuvar on 5/22/2018 2:23:00 PM (view original):
Posted by rh32 on 5/21/2018 10:52:00 PM (view original):

So you want an online game where people do not communicate with one another?
Quite the opposite. My only point is the advantage that comes from forming an external community is potentially larger than using something like the yatzr tool. I never said don’t form an external community. My only point is that the whole discussion about the yatzr tool being bad is moot. A whole community that exists outside of these forums is a potentially bigger advantage, so why outrage from chrondon over the yatzr tool?
5/23/2018 8:22 AM
Anything that you can do on the Slack app you can do on WIS. We have sitemail. We have forums. There is a Facebook page. The potential to cheat is already here.

A good portion of you guys use it the app. It saves you a lot of time. The game is an old relic that can be updated using this app. Its easier to recruit with the app. The UI is better with the app. We need the app for GUESS ratings. It makes the game more playable. I can see every other teams yellows and greens and open shollys. I can easily see what team is recruiting who. I can easily see the "backups" when they become available.

I agree with all of that. That app is great. But that does not mean that I did not notice that having it was a huge advantage over those that dont have it and dont know it exists.

Coaches were playing unfairly in order to gain an advantage in a competitive game. (I wish there was a word for that...)

You all might say that Im an idiot or a moron but you guys know that this game would be better if the website already provided all this stuff to the user for free. We should all have the data. New people should have the data. All of those features should have been added to the game a long time ago.
5/23/2018 2:45 PM
◂ Prev 1...4|5|6|7|8 Next ▸

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.