DH52 LXI Evals Topic

Posted by Midge on 5/24/2018 8:52:00 PM (view original):
So the city of Sacrament elected a child molester to be their mayor. I really don't want to turn this into a political discussion, but what does that say about the people of Sacramento?
they thought they were electing KJ to be point guard of the Kings.
5/24/2018 9:07 PM (edited)
well, they're no Alabama...
5/24/2018 8:59 PM
Posted by Midge on 5/24/2018 8:40:00 PM (view original):
samuelyork93- Jason KIdd, Hakeem Olajuwon, Serge Ibaka, Alvin Robertson, Vince Carter: It's kind of hard to say too much about this team at this point. Are Jason, Alvin and Vince all going to play guard or is one of them going to be the SF? Are you going to play Ibaka at PF or SF? It seems odd that the great Hakeem Olajuwon can consistently be drafted in the 2nd round, but that's the way it is. The players you have so far play good defense, but need more rebounding. I need to see how you finish your roster before I have a good feeling of how your team will be.
I added Tarpley and Bynum hopefully fixing my rebounding problem :) and Ibaka will be playing SF.
5/24/2018 8:59 PM
ysw128- Hassan Whiteside, Giannis Antetokounmpo, Maurice Cheeks, Tom Boerwinkle: I know this is only four players, so I will have to do a better job on this team later. In WIS basketball, Whiteside is a heck of a player. Great defense, great rebounding and very good shooting. His major drawbacks are his bad passing and his lack of minutes. I'm kind of surprised that Giannis lasted this long, hasn't he been going earlier? If you can play him at SF he is a good shooter, good passer, good rebounder, good defender.....a really nice guy to have on your team. He doesn't shoot 3s well, but Babe Ruth wasn't much of a base stealer. Cheeks is a very good defender at two positions. He is a low usage, but decent shooter. He is a good, not great passer. Unfortunately, he doesn't shoot 3s and his rebounding is weak. Tom Boerwinkle will give you lots of rebounds and lots of assists. That's pretty much it. His mediocre defense is stuck at center, unless you want to pay a penalty. This team is in dire need of 3 point shooting. This team still needs two starters. I liked the first two picks a lot more than I liked the 3rd and 4th round picks. To be continued...

UPDATE: Giannis is obviously very good, but it would be nice if he either learned to shoot 3 pointers or cut back on the volume. Whiteside is a better WIS player than NBA player. He can be a beast here, but his reputation is more of a head case over there. Unfortunately, I think you chose the wrong beast. I would prefer having the Whiteside with the 60% shooting and the 100 defense. Cheeks was an odd #3 pick, since he normally could be taken much later. He is another good and bad player. His shooting percentage is good, but he doesn't shoot a lot and he doesn't shoot 3 pointers. His defense is excellent, but his rebounding is weak. I also think the 4th round was too high for Boerwinkle, whose average defense is locked into the center position and can't play even 30 minutes per game. Raja Bell is another good and bad player. He is good on defense and the much needed 3 pointers, but he brings very little else. I always liked Paul Westphal as a player (he called the best time out of all time!), but his high mid-range shooting will probably hurt his shooting percentage in this league and his rebounding is very weak. You have terrific rebounding from three bigs, but their defense is less than good and the weak rebounding from the backcourt negates some of that advantage. I don't see this team as a threat to win the league.
6/29/2018 4:25 PM (edited)
Wow, that didn't take long. (Cough, cough.) Like I said when I started, I plan on updating these as we move on.
5/24/2018 9:09 PM
Posted by Midge on 5/24/2018 8:27:00 PM (view original):
tarheel1991- James Harden, Ben Wallace, Sidney Moncreif, Paul George, Dale Davis: I really want Harden to be a great WIS player, but there are two things which hurt him here. One, of course, is the turnovers. The other thing that hurts him is the free throws. As a Rocket, he lives at the FT line and it's great. Here, unfortunately, he doesn't get to the line as often as he should, which greatly diminishes his value. Ben Wallace is obviously a great defender and rebounder, but it seems to me that in a $52 million league you need more offense in an early 2nd round pick. I like Sidney Moncrief and I wonder why he doesn't get picked more, but it seems to me he would have been there later. Maybe I'm wrong. I think of Paul George as Scottie Pippen lite. He seems to be the same type of player, but not as good. I'm not really thrilled if Paul George is my #2 scoring option. Dale Davis is a decent option as a 5th round power forward. This team needs more of a scoring punch from beyond the arc. Sure, they will shoot a lot of 3s, but they will also miss a lot of 3s. Now that I've said that I see this team shooting 55% from the 3 point line against my team.
Thanks. Agree that Harden may be a bit of a reach, and that his turnovers might kill me, but he's a usage monster who's reasonably efficient and brings a ton of assists. Filling that PG spot early feels like a big luxury to me; it allowed me to focus on more all-around players later.

I disagree somewhat on Wallace and George. You don't need to draft offense early; offense will always be available late if you can afford to take a hit elsewhere. If you can get a 100 defender and great rebounder who won't hurt you elsewhere in the 2nd, that's very valuable.

As for George - what's the problem with him as a #2 scoring option? 29% usage, 53% efg, 90% ft, 200 threes?
5/24/2018 10:05 PM (edited)
As for George - what's the problem with him as a #2 scoring option? 29% usage, 53% efg, 90% ft, 200 threes?

Yeah, I just looked at him again and you're probably right. He's better than I thought. I just have these visions in my head of Playoff P flaming out against Utah.
5/24/2018 10:22 PM
Posted by Midge on 5/24/2018 5:49:00 PM (view original):
milest- Moses Malone, David Robinson, Brent Barry, Kirk Hinrich: WHAT WERE YOU THINKING? TRADING AWAY A BUNCH OF MAGIC BEANS JUST SO YOU COULD HAVE ANOTHER GIANT? Hey wait a second, this looks pretty good. Seriously, I like what you and cjok1051 did and it will be interesting to see which team is better. It's a good plan, just draft a couple of Hall of Fame centers and surround them with a bunch of white guys with names like Brent and Kirk. What's not to like?
LOL!
5/24/2018 10:40 PM
Posted by Midge on 5/24/2018 10:22:00 PM (view original):

Yeah, I just looked at him again and you're probably right. He's better than I thought. I just have these visions in my head of Playoff P flaming out against Utah.
When I won a couple seasons ago he was my #1 scorer.
5/24/2018 10:53 PM
Posted by Midge on 5/24/2018 8:09:00 PM (view original):
longtallbrad- Dwyane Wade, Kevin Garnett, Buck Williams Tree Rollins, Larry Sanders: Dwyane Wade is another plus/minus player. Good scorer! Doesn't shoot 3s well. Great defense! Doesn't know how to spell Dwayne. (Okay, I know that wasn't his fault.) Lots of assists! Lots of turnovers! Hooray! Kevin Garnett is another guy that I really like, but I'm not sure you can win with him as your first pick. Of course, Brad took him in the 2nd round. Great pick! I like his defense, his rebounding, his passing, his versatility and he can score! It looks like he will be played at SF, which makes him a beast. You should have bucket fulls of defense and rebounding. You don't have a point guard yet, but with Wade and Garnett it isn't imperative that your point guard is a great passer. Your eFG% isn't great, but i think your team will be fine. (Should that be buckets full of defense and rebounding?)
Agreed, the efg for this bunch isn't impressive since most of the scoring comes from two guys who will miss as many shots as they make. The rest of the starting lineup - Buck, Tree, and Norm - should lift the team average a bit. I don't have high hopes for this team since they will rack up fouls and lose the ball a lot, and won't shoot or make many 3s. Plus, the only other time I tried building around Wade in this league the outcome was miserable. Still, it will be fun to watch Wade and Garnett fill up box scores, and the team may defend well enough to wobble into the playoffs. We'll see.
5/25/2018 9:02 AM
thats some killer defense there ltb....i had a wade/kg/tree team in the past that did very well...one of my favorite teams ever...i had noah instead of buck and oliver miller instead of sanders...unlike you tho i went all in on defense in the backcourt with mcmillan and an undrafted guard with 93 d....i think my lack of shooting kept me from a title but you can definitely win with defense in this league...ill be interested to see how your squad does
5/25/2018 6:41 PM
Posted by dh555 on 5/25/2018 6:41:00 PM (view original):
thats some killer defense there ltb....i had a wade/kg/tree team in the past that did very well...one of my favorite teams ever...i had noah instead of buck and oliver miller instead of sanders...unlike you tho i went all in on defense in the backcourt with mcmillan and an undrafted guard with 93 d....i think my lack of shooting kept me from a title but you can definitely win with defense in this league...ill be interested to see how your squad does
I almost always go D & rebound heavy in this league & typically do well... my current team is not that, necessarily. The Ryan Anderson pick is definitely not what I would 'normally' do in this league.. i would typically go for at least a 70 defender with at least 20% Dreb to fill those mins.. I clearly chose efg% with decent usage and a ton of 3s to make life easier for my big men. I do start a decent D, but not great... same for my boards...
5/25/2018 9:15 PM
Yes, Drexler is the back up SG at 10 MPG. He also backs up Mason for 6 MPG. Ward starts at PG and then Conley provides bench scoring 21 MPG at PG and then 6 MPG at SG. Mason and Ray provide defensive rebounding and assists. Duncan provides 100 defense for 40 mpg, Don't know if this squad has enough scoring punch but we will find out.
5/25/2018 10:29 PM
Posted by Midge on 5/24/2018 4:40:00 PM (view original):
thomcat- Michael Jordan, Julius Erving, Bill Russell, Mark Price, Chris Webber: It seems to me that you have a lot of usage on your team. There is only one basketball. Jordan is obviously one of the best players ever, but how long has it been since he won this league? Seriously, does anyone know? Bill Russell is also one of the best players ever, but unfortunately, WIS Russell does not compare to real life Russell. I saw him in person once. He was throwing out the first pitch at a Seattle Mariners game. Go figure. I look at your team and see too many chiefs and not enough Indians. (Should I say too many chiefs and not enough Native Americans? That doesn't sound quite right.) This is the kind of team that I look at and say euynaheuma and then they beat my team by 38 points.
Added Mark Jackson and Anderson Varejao. Yep, too much usage. Webber put me over the top but could not pass on him. Decided to settle with Mark Jackson's D and saturate the usage with assists (137.9% from among the 7) and hope for the best.
5/25/2018 10:42 PM
Posted by dh555 on 5/25/2018 6:41:00 PM (view original):
Yeah, I didn't see an option I liked for rounding out the starting backcourt with strong D. I was eyeing McMillan but he didn't last long enough to make it to my squad. But Nixon at least isn't a total matador and I was drawn by his shiny efg. Hopefully this group will at least do better than my last Wade team..
5/26/2018 12:11 AM
◂ Prev 12345 Next ▸
DH52 LXI Evals Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.