A couple of questions on defense Topic

1. Other than not catching many baserunners, how much does a D-/D-/D- catcher REALLY hurt? I'm in a progressive and I have 1983 Keith Moreland. My other catching options are the weak-hitting Dann Bilardello and an AAA C. If I play Moreland at C, that's another bat I can get into my lineup as I have outfield bats to spare. So far, Moreland has caught 7 games resting Bilardello and the AAA guy, and his pitcher ERA in those 7 games is a mere 2.41. I have good pitching...will Moreland ruin it?

2. How poorly can I expect a D/A 2B to play at SS? For 1984, I will have three 2Bs and no SS. Thinking about throwing Juan Samuel or Alan Wiggins over to short.

Thanks
5/24/2018 10:07 PM
As for the D- catcher, expect 2-3 pass balls per game. I once used a Cap anson eligible catcher season, think he had D Fielding, he had over 100 passed balls that season, I expect it to be worse for him
5/24/2018 10:10 PM
1. He will probably give up a LOT of passed balls.

2. Someone can give the more technical version, but the TLDR is that it won't be great.
5/24/2018 10:11 PM
so far 1 passed ball in those 7 games. I can definitely live with that.

By "it won't be great," are we talking like 50 errors with decent range? Because I can maybe live with that too. I'm unlikely to find a good SS in the draft, and at least those guys can hit. I've been using Todd "Can't Hit My Way Out of a Wet Paper Bag" Cruz at short for the past two years, which was the opposite problem.
5/24/2018 10:15 PM
1. D- rating covers a wide range. Some of them are just plain bad, others are really really bad. You can't tell from the rating alone.The biggest problem with D- Catchers is some of them give up too many Passed Balls. But not all of them do.

2. A lot of Errors. If that's your only reasonable option in a them or progressive it won't be so bad it's unplayable..
5/26/2018 2:37 PM
Posted by rbow923 on 5/26/2018 2:37:00 PM (view original):
1. D- rating covers a wide range. Some of them are just plain bad, others are really really bad. You can't tell from the rating alone.The biggest problem with D- Catchers is some of them give up too many Passed Balls. But not all of them do.

2. A lot of Errors. If that's your only reasonable option in a them or progressive it won't be so bad it's unplayable..
Thanks. Would I be better off putting Manny Trillo at short? He's an A-/C- 2B with B+/D+ as a secondary rating at third.
5/26/2018 7:44 PM
I recently made a huge goof in a progressive. I went into a season with '98 Mike Stanley (A/C- 1st base) that I thought had a secondary rating at catcher. He didn't. In 148 games behind the plate he committed 21 errors, allowed 144SB and caught 2 steal attempts. The glaring weakness was the whopping 369 passed balls. It was with a horrendous pitching staff, which just made things much worse...don't try this at home...
5/26/2018 8:03 PM
Posted by DoctorKz on 5/26/2018 8:03:00 PM (view original):
I recently made a huge goof in a progressive. I went into a season with '98 Mike Stanley (A/C- 1st base) that I thought had a secondary rating at catcher. He didn't. In 148 games behind the plate he committed 21 errors, allowed 144SB and caught 2 steal attempts. The glaring weakness was the whopping 369 passed balls. It was with a horrendous pitching staff, which just made things much worse...don't try this at home...
Poor Mike Stanley... he didn't deserve that.
5/26/2018 9:20 PM
He needed a change of scenery, so at season's end I cut him...
5/26/2018 9:28 PM
Posted by sinatra on 5/26/2018 7:44:00 PM (view original):
Posted by rbow923 on 5/26/2018 2:37:00 PM (view original):

Thanks. Would I be better off putting Manny Trillo at short? He's an A-/C- 2B with B+/D+ as a secondary rating at third.
Try both of them out for 30 games or so and look at the results. Keeping in mind that short term stats can be erratic. I'm guessing the higher rated Fielder will do better than the higher Range but I don't really know for sure. Or just go with the better hitter.
5/29/2018 1:01 AM
Yeah, I'd much rather play a good field, bad range 2B at SS, compared to a good range, bad field guy. I'd think Trillo will be better than Samuel.
5/29/2018 12:04 PM
I recently played the 1975 Dave Chalk who is a C+ range A fielding 3b for 637 innings at SS, in that time he had 7 minus plays and 14 errors FWIW
5/29/2018 1:42 PM
A couple of questions on defense Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.