1977-1981 Divisional Draft, FULL Topic

This draft will produce some interesting rosters. Each division will have different dynamics, some will be pitching-heavy and some will be hitting-heavy. Position scarcity will be the most interesting part. . . .you must decide which positions require an early pick and which positions have enough high-end talent to go around.

Here's how it will work. . . . after we reach 16 entries, each owner will be placed randomly into one of the four real life MLB divisions from 77-81. (AL West, AL East, NL West, NL East). Yes, the AL divisions will each have 7 franchises to pull from and the NL divisions will only have 6 (but do Seattle and Toronto really count during this timeframe??) :)

Each 4-owner division group will then conduct a snake-style draft of players from 1977-1981 who played in that division.
Only one instance of a player is allowed per division. You don't have to declare what version you are using at the time of the draft, you can wait and decide that while building your roster. If a player played in multiple divisions from 1977-1981 (e.g. Nolan Ryan) he would be eligible to be drafted in each of those divisional drafts (full or partial seasons only, unless a combined season is all in the same division).

The draft will be 26 rounds. . . . you will draft 25 players and 1 ballpark, you can select the park at any time, if you want to take it in the 1st round that is fine, or you can wait until the 26th, or any pick in between. Draft order will be randomly determined. You must select your ballpark from the provided list, we are only offering one park per franchise.

Details:

Using Alternate WIS Format E (16 teams, 4 divisions)
NO to Clones, WW, AAA, and Trades
NO
Salary Cap
YES to DH (in both leagues)
YES to injuries
**NO Combined Seasons (Full or Partial only). . .** ONE exception: if a player's entire season was played for more than one team in the same division, you can then use that combined season)

Team Name: whatever stadium you selected, work that franchise into your name somehow.

You must roster at least 1 player from each of the 5 seasons (1977-1981)
You must roster at least 1 player from each of the 6 or 7 teams in your division.

Drafts will be off the clock.

Let me know if you have any questions!!
5/25/2018 2:41 PM (edited)
Available ballparks:

NL East
Olympic Stadium (Expos)
Shea Stadium (Mets)
Veterans Stadium (Phillies)
Three Rivers Stadium (Pirates)
Busch Stadium (Cardinals)
Wrigley Field (Cubs)

NL West
Atlanta Fulton County Stadium (Braves)
Riverfront Stadium (Reds)
Astrodome (Astros)
Dodger Stadium (Dodgers)
San Diego Stadium (Padres)
Candlestick Park (Giants)

AL East
Memorial Stadium (Orioles)
Fenway Park (Red Sox)
Cleveland Stadium (Indians)
Tiger Stadium (Tigers)
Yankee Stadium (II) (Yankees)

County Stadium (Brewers)
Exhibition Stadium (Blue Jays)

AL West
Anaheim Stadium (Angels)
Comiskey Park (I) (White Sox)
Royals Stadium (Royals)

Arlington Stadium (Rangers)
Metropolitan Stadium (Twins)
Oakland Coliseum (A’s)
Kingdome (Mariners)
5/25/2018 2:16 PM (edited)
Owners Committed

1 - NebHusker
2 - mikemundt
3 - schwarze
4 - redcped
5 - pick1or2
6 - pmwksw
7 - Chisock
8 - tigerrott
9 - slainte
10 - sjh0825
11 - gds46016
12 - matthew3
13 - mllama54
14 - ledfoot
15 - jbussey
16 - rattlers

Sitemail: NebHusker;mikemundt;schwarze;redcped;pick1or2;pmwksw;Chisock;tigerrott;slainte;sjh0825;gds46016;matthew3;mllama54;ledfoot;jbussey;rattlers
5/26/2018 7:08 PM (edited)
I'm in!
5/25/2018 2:11 PM
I'm in.
5/25/2018 2:18 PM
Can we change the ballpark rule? Why not make the ballpark part of the draft? Adds more strategy. Frankly, I don't NEED to know what park I am while I am drafting.
5/25/2018 2:19 PM
Posted by schwarze on 5/25/2018 2:19:00 PM (view original):
Can we change the ballpark rule? Why not make the ballpark part of the draft? Adds more strategy. Frankly, I don't NEED to know what park I am while I am drafting.
We can do that. . . . I'm like you about ballparks but there are some who REALLY put a lot of stock in it. I guess those folks can just draft one early! It will add a little strategy, if you have your eye on a certain park how long to wait before grabbing it. Rules amended.
5/25/2018 2:38 PM
I'm in. Always enjoy these drafts!
5/25/2018 2:52 PM
I'll join
5/25/2018 3:55 PM
I’ll play
5/25/2018 3:57 PM
Hypothetical question. If two people want to trade divisions (after the lottery), is that allowed?
5/25/2018 4:59 PM
I'll join.
5/25/2018 5:20 PM
Posted by schwarze on 5/25/2018 4:59:00 PM (view original):
Hypothetical question. If two people want to trade divisions (after the lottery), is that allowed?
I'm gonna say no on this one. Part of the charm of random assignments is everyone has to deal with what they draw. Might get lucky and get what we wanted, but also might have to step outside our comfort zone.
5/25/2018 5:45 PM
in
5/25/2018 6:51 PM
Sign me up again, please.
5/25/2018 7:45 PM
12 Next ▸
1977-1981 Divisional Draft, FULL Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.