thats internment junior Topic

About all I watch on TV these days is sporting events or movies. There's not a continuing series I care enough about to make time to watch. I'd rather read a book. Although my son has gotten me in to watching Arrested Development if I'm around when he is watching it. Its not something I'll go out of my way to watch though.
5/26/2018 9:06 PM
I used to watch Cheers, Friends, Mash, Frazier , Mad About You fairly regularly. I sometimes will watch Big Bang Theory too. Just nothing I will be upset about if I miss. I especially hate all those dumbass reality shows.
5/27/2018 12:18 AM
I don't watch many TV shows anymore. I was tragically indiscriminate in my childhood, however, as I imagine many of us were. If it was on in the 1970s, I watched it. And that included all the 1950s/60s shows in reruns. It's embarrassing, in retrospect, how much crap I sat through.

In the 1980s and 90s I watched Cheers, Seinfeld, Frasier, The Larry Sanders Show, The Simpsons, Letterman. About 10 years after it was cancelled I got caught up on Homicide: Life on the Street on DVD (great show, so underrated).

From this century it's Sopranos, Mad Men, True Detective (first season only) and not much else. If I do ever watch a TV show again, it'll be via DVD. One show I've had my eye on is the British series Black Mirror, which sounds like an updated version of The Twilight Zone. If my local library ever gets those DVDs in, I'll give it a try. About all I watch on actual TV is baseball, news, nature shows, and the occasional episode of SNL.

Speaking of library DVDs, I just borrowed the 1967 Russian film adaption of War and Peace. Over 7 hours long! It'll take me a few nights to get through it...
5/27/2018 1:10 AM
forgot about Seinfeld...used to watch that too.
5/27/2018 12:54 PM
Can we post movie reviews here as well? If so, I recently watched Hal Ashby's 1976 Bound for Glory. I've enjoyed a lot of Ashby's films (Harold & Maude, The Last Detail, Being There, the Stones' concert film Let's Spend the Night Together) and I like Woody Guthrie, ostensibly the subject of this film, but boy, this one stunk. Extremely slow and nowhere near enough music in it. I read some reviews after I watched it and was shocked to learn this was a "fictional biography" -- i.e. nearly everything in the movie was made up. What the hell? And if you're going to make up stuff about a real life person who led an eventful life, why would you make up stuff that's duller than the reality? A baffling choice. David Carradine was okay in the lead role, although he didn't remind me at all of Woody Guthrie (he reminded me more of Caine from the Kung Fu series). Melinda Dillon was decent as his wife, and to her credit didn't remind me at all of the mom from A Christmas Story.
5/27/2018 4:43 PM
One series I forgot to mention above was The Office (the British version; I never got into the American one). Brilliant show and at something like 12 episodes just the right length. I tried watching the next series Ricky Gervais created, Extras, but it didn't grab me the same way and after maybe an episode and a half I gave up on it.
5/27/2018 10:56 PM
I saw that one. Great opening premise but I think it got bogged down in the feel-good/romance stuff. Similar in that regard to Absolutely Anything starring Simon Pegg. Too many comedies start out with a smart edge and then wind up squishy and sentimental.

dino, I'm not a Bond fan but your list inspired me to work on a ranking of Coen brothers films. Give me a day or so...
5/27/2018 11:43 PM
I saw Deadpool 2 tonight. I liked it but thought the first one was better.
5/28/2018 1:15 AM
Favorite Coen Brothers Movies

1. The Big Lebowski
2. O Brother, Where Art Thou?
3. Raising Arizona

4. Barton Fink
5. Blood Simple
6. Fargo

7. A Serious Man
8. Miller's Crossing
9. Inside Llewyn Davis

10. Burn After Reading
11. Intolerable Cruelty
12. Huddsucker Proxy
13. Hail, Caesar!
14. The Man Who Wasn't There

15. The Ladykillers
16. True Grit
17. No Country for Old Men

1-3 all-time classic
4-6 excellent
7-9 very good
10-14 good
15-17 okay

Not a dud in the bunch, and every one of them worthy of repeat viewings, the first nine especially.

#15-17 I believe are the only films on the list that were adapted from other sources. In my opinion the Coens are so inventive and playful in their original scripts that something is invariably lost when they adapt someone else's idea instead of starting from scratch.
5/28/2018 9:36 AM
Posted by crazystengel on 5/28/2018 9:36:00 AM (view original):
Favorite Coen Brothers Movies

1. The Big Lebowski
2. O Brother, Where Art Thou?
3. Raising Arizona

4. Barton Fink
5. Blood Simple
6. Fargo

7. A Serious Man
8. Miller's Crossing
9. Inside Llewyn Davis

10. Burn After Reading
11. Intolerable Cruelty
12. Huddsucker Proxy
13. Hail, Caesar!
14. The Man Who Wasn't There

15. The Ladykillers
16. True Grit
17. No Country for Old Men

1-3 all-time classic
4-6 excellent
7-9 very good
10-14 good
15-17 okay

Not a dud in the bunch, and every one of them worthy of repeat viewings, the first nine especially.

#15-17 I believe are the only films on the list that were adapted from other sources. In my opinion the Coens are so inventive and playful in their original scripts that something is invariably lost when they adapt someone else's idea instead of starting from scratch.
I preferred Blood Simple and Fargo to all of your top 3. Of course the top 3 were all great too.
5/28/2018 1:55 PM
I finished watching War and Peace (1968 Russian version) last night. Absolutely brilliant, and beautiful to look at (so many shots are framed like great paintings). There are plenty of American and British screen adaptions of Tolstoy's novel, but you really have to go to the Russians for this one. An American War and Peace is about as proper as a Polish Huckleberry Finn or an Egyptian Great Gatsby.

Here's Roger Ebert's review, which I think is very fair.

Also, read the book first! You'll appreciate the movie a lot more that way.

5/30/2018 12:45 PM (edited)
ahhhh, to be a general

i hope this isnt you cliffs noting the 2k page thriller you said you read
5/31/2018 12:24 AM
crap, i read the review

i doubt that man lauded a movie more

5/31/2018 12:36 AM
Miller's Crossing is one of the most underrated movies of all time.
5/31/2018 12:45 AM
academy award best foreign language film

my gf will find it for me and watch it with me based on that
5/31/2018 12:46 AM
123 Next ▸
thats internment junior Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.