HBD...sounds inSo after years of playing teresting Topic

So after years of playing GD, I dipped my toe into the HBD for a second time (first time was during my drinking years and I kinda blacked out for the season...just like Calvin Griffin in the 70's with the Twins).

Anyways - our league, The Sandlot, has had an active board/owners with some very good teams - but enough competition that new teams emerge each season in the playoffs. Our commish, cusdak, has done a great job in keeping the enthusiasm up between seasons and we rarely go too long between season. However, this past season's end saw 11 owners discontinue for a variety of reasons - most likely that it's summertime with more time devoted to the outside. Our loss is your gain - as I am offering the next 5 new owners to join our league a "season match" - which means - you enroll in the Sandlot for one season and I will contact WIS admin and pay for your second season in Sandlot. Pretty sweet.

Reach out to Cusdak for the code and he'll make sure I get the heads-up.

Looking forward to seeing you at The Sandlot.

sjurat (trent)
5/30/2018 9:13 AM
Hmm - I have played 1.25 seasons of HBD - so PM Cusdak if interested?
5/30/2018 9:20 AM
Posted by clememp on 5/30/2018 9:20:00 AM (view original):
Hmm - I have played 1.25 seasons of HBD - so PM Cusdak if interested?
Yes - and you sir will "win" a bonus season in The Sandlot...
5/30/2018 9:39 AM
Hmm couldn't send sitemail and don't see the Sandlot listed on the Private Leagues ...
5/30/2018 9:41 AM
The Sandlot is listed in the Public Leagues right now. And I think you can trust sjurat's word. He is a good owner who has been in Sandlot for something like 10 seasons.
5/30/2018 9:45 AM
Glad to see you've enjoyed HBD Sjurat. It has pretty much, singlehandedly kept me into WIS. While I'm not interested in Sandlot thanks for sharing!
5/30/2018 4:54 PM
Going to be backing out some of my GD teams so I will give it a try. Can anyone provide insight on the time commitment required for HBD?
5/30/2018 6:38 PM
Posted by jaylien1 on 5/30/2018 6:38:00 PM (view original):
Going to be backing out some of my GD teams so I will give it a try. Can anyone provide insight on the time commitment required for HBD?
In my memory a LOT more than GD. If you love it then it's worth it. I'm a casual gamer and found it much too involved for my taste.
5/30/2018 8:33 PM
Posted by mojolad on 5/30/2018 8:33:00 PM (view original):
In my memory a LOT more than GD. If you love it then it's worth it. I'm a casual gamer and found it much too involved for my taste.
I concur. I hosed up an entire roster by missing a deadline to protect Rule 5 players and my roster got decimated. I had a plan and was two seasons into it and I think it would have been at least 7 more before I could even think of being competitive after that miss.

I don't think I was redeemed with a similar offer to join The Sandbox. I may have missed something or misunderstood something, but I didn't follow-up and it didn't seem to happen. I'm not suggesting it's not sincere, just make sure you follow-up.
5/30/2018 9:18 PM
HBD:
Day 1: Set your budget. Maybe 2 hours of work at the most to go through your roster to look at your current payroll, check your arbitration eligible players to see how much more you will need to spend to keep the players you want, check your coaches, decide how much you want to spend on your scouting.
Day 2: Resign your free agents. This time is usually spent resigning the minor league free agents that you want to keep, and to decide if you want to sign any of your arbitration eligible players to long term contracts instead. 30 minutes.
Day 3: Run your arbitration eligible players through arbitration. 10 minutes.
Days 4 though 10(?): sign your new coaches and go out and try to compete for the good free agents. The cycles run every 4 hours, so you have to keep you eyes open through this period if you want to be active in the free agent market. And during this time you want to organize all of your minor leagues to make sure you have enough players at each level, and have the players at their proper levels.
Spring training: 18 games long. Games happen 3 times a day. Just a quick monitor between each game is all this takes.
Regular season: Set your roster, line-up, and pitching staff. Games happen 3 times a day, usually a quick monitor between each game at the most.

Through all of this time after budgets are set, you can trade players with other owners, if you are so inclined. This is a major part of the game for many owners.

The HBD season last 3 months, but most of the work is in the first 2 weeks. Overall, I really don't think the amount of time you spend in 3 months of an HBD season is any more than the time you would spend in 2.5 seasons in GD. The biggest problem in HBD right now is the time you have to spend between seasons, because you can't start the season until all teams are filled with human owners. This is a big problem with many leagues.
5/30/2018 9:48 PM (edited)
Posted by bjschumacher on 5/30/2018 9:48:00 PM (view original):
HBD:
Day 1: Set your budget. Maybe 2 hours of work at the most to go through your roster to look at your current payroll, check your arbitration eligible players to see how much more you will need to spend to keep the players you want, check your coaches, decide how much you want to spend on your scouting.
Day 2: Resign your free agents. This time is usually spent resigning the minor league free agents that you want to keep, and to decide if you want to sign any of your arbitration eligible players to long term contracts instead. 30 minutes.
Day 3: Run your arbitration eligible players through arbitration. 10 minutes.
Days 4 though 10(?): sign your new coaches and go out and try to compete for the good free agents. The cycles run every 4 hours, so you have to keep you eyes open through this period if you want to be active in the free agent market. And during this time you want to organize all of your minor leagues to make sure you have enough players at each level, and have the players at their proper levels.
Spring training: 18 games long. Games happen 3 times a day. Just a quick monitor between each game is all this takes.
Regular season: Set your roster, line-up, and pitching staff. Games happen 3 times a day, usually a quick monitor between each game at the most.

Through all of this time after budgets are set, you can trade players with other owners, if you are so inclined. This is a major part of the game for many owners.

The HBD season last 3 months, but most of the work is in the first 2 weeks. Overall, I really don't think the amount of time you spend in 3 months of an HBD season is any more than the time you would spend in 2.5 seasons in GD. The biggest problem in HBD right now is the time you have to spend between seasons, because you can't start the season until all teams are filled with human owners. This is a big problem with many leagues.
Thank you for the info! What about the rule 5 deadline mentioned by chewbaluba, I notice you don't mention it at all?

?This may be more than I bargained for depending on when the season can actually get going, but I'll give it a try.
5/30/2018 11:22 PM
Posted by chewbaluba on 5/30/2018 9:18:00 PM (view original):
Posted by mojolad on 5/30/2018 8:33:00 PM (view original):
I concur. I hosed up an entire roster by missing a deadline to protect Rule 5 players and my roster got decimated. I had a plan and was two seasons into it and I think it would have been at least 7 more before I could even think of being competitive after that miss.

I don't think I was redeemed with a similar offer to join The Sandbox. I may have missed something or misunderstood something, but I didn't follow-up and it didn't seem to happen. I'm not suggesting it's not sincere, just make sure you follow-up.
Chewy --- I sent the info into WIS - then again under the old management. I am planning on doing all 5 at one time - either direct into the acct holder or send a gift cert to the individual acct. If you want to rejoin - you can be the 6th.

So far we have - the new owners which get the 2nd season credit are:
1) Zeg723
2) Nitros
3) mjs22
4) Jayalien1
5) OPEN
6) chewbalba (tentative...if rejoins)

Which means we are only 5 owners away from a fun filled summer (I spending 3 weeks in the Czech Republic for my sons' hockey camp in July and need some filler).

sjurat

5/30/2018 11:34 PM
I can say sjurat follows through. Received my GC today.
6/1/2018 3:20 PM
Received GC today as well. Nice!

nitros
6/1/2018 3:45 PM
Me too. Ready to take on sandlot again.
6/2/2018 5:50 AM
HBD...sounds inSo after years of playing teresting Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.