Where are all the NEW coaches ? Topic

Not sure how ? But something should be done to bring in new blood- and hence new revenue for the owner.
Advertizing in right places ? But something......
5/30/2018 8:39 PM
Free beer and food is always good.
5/30/2018 9:56 PM
I could send an autographed glamor shot of me and my dog Toby to new coaches who sign up for the 10 season pack!
5/30/2018 10:08 PM
I just came back after a 40 season hiatus. I think its worth considering how much old blood can be new blood really. So many people have been a part of this game in the past and can be a part of it in the future if we just reach out and show its worth coming back to.
5/31/2018 8:59 AM
Posted by 2000champou on 5/30/2018 10:08:00 PM (view original):
I could send an autographed glamor shot of me and my dog Toby to new coaches who sign up for the 10 season pack!
with a photobomb from mojo, you could double production of those glamour shots!
5/31/2018 9:11 AM
Mojo = +
5/31/2018 12:45 PM
thats a handsome man on the right

you add in the ug on the left and you get

5/31/2018 2:01 PM
Re GD: "The Old Grey Mare Aint What She Used To Be".
5/31/2018 3:14 PM
Personally, I don't see much value for the average player at 10$ a pop for a season.

New player comes in, loses a lot, and then when prompted to re-up for another 10$, they say no thanks.

SportsHub would have to do the money analysis to see what the sweet spot would be to bring in more blood.

I don't see this game gaining much more population though with no changes.
5/31/2018 5:23 PM
When I first started playing about 8 years ago (wow.....) I had the idea in my head that I could set up some gameplans in my head that "made football sense" and compete right away. I was wrong. I picked a team and it was a mediocre SIM. First time recruiting sucked, I could not figure it out. Seemed like offering a scholarship was a good way to entice a recruit.....nope..... First 3 or 4 seasons were repeats of the first season and recruiting cycle. The game really does not reflect "intuitive football thought process" at first glance (when you get into the details it makes more sense..but still not like picking up a team in real life).

Then..somewhat at "random" an exchange of a sitemail sort of clued me in to recruiting. Then things started to turn around. I also started looking at other coaches and what formations and basic play settings they were using (reviewing PBP details and their rosters). But it took me 4 seasons to begin that "turn around." I only stuck with it because I hate to fail and the game did not seem overly complicated to play (this was right after V2.0 came out).

I have avoided other simulation games because they were too complex....too many moving parts...too much to learn....too much pain in the butt. This game got more complex with V3.0 but I think is still playable....especially with the "dumbed down" version of DIII.

The point here is that flexmagnum has it about right. Newbie comes in, gets smoked by long term D3 coaches or even SIMs....cannot figure out why....and then bails before he can figure out the game.....at $10 a season. What is the answer? I don't know....but I can describe the problem.....
6/2/2018 8:38 AM
I think giving 2-3 free seasons for new users would be a good promo for a while. Make it so that only works if you stay at DIII and then charge after that. I agree that recruiting and heck, even tweaking the dumbed down version of gameplanning takes more than 1 season. No one probably has enough fun or gets anything accomplished to be "invested" in a team after just 1 season... then at 10 bucks when you dont know what you're doing that's tough. Or just lower the price a couple of bucks too.

I tried to think what hooked me when I started, since it was the same way and all I can think is the community was bigger and conferences were full so you had a good experience.

I think a better rewards system could help as well to retain coaches. Or involve the WIS community from time to time. Offer up free seasons for participating in a pickem for each sport's real life season, or do a fantasy league and the top placed teams get some reward... something of that nature.

Maybe these suggestions aren't the best business model but let's be real. WIS used to be a gold mine and now it seems is probably barely makes a profit. You've gotta change something at this point to increase your customer base.
6/2/2018 9:34 AM (edited)
I was too proud to ask for help. It took me too damn long to shake failure.Like the guys before me, I don't have answers .
But the question is how do you get newby's to have an understanding of the game right away so at least they understand what to do and why.
One suggestion I do have is create a Tutorial Video or even multitple ones for each aspect of the game. While many guys won't read the posts in tutorial threads, they would(I believe) be more likely to watch tutorial. Pin them to the top of GD Forum.
6/2/2018 10:43 AM
Posted by flexmagnum on 5/31/2018 5:23:00 PM (view original):
Personally, I don't see much value for the average player at 10$ a pop for a season.

New player comes in, loses a lot, and then when prompted to re-up for another 10$, they say no thanks.

SportsHub would have to do the money analysis to see what the sweet spot would be to bring in more blood.

I don't see this game gaining much more population though with no changes.
I'd have to agree here. WIS has done a reduced amount for new players though right? I swear I remember my first season was a reduced price. Also, I do think there would be tremendous value to a revamped (yes I know everything could probably be touched up somehow) tutorial. I feel alot of the reason that new players don't "re-up for $10 a pop" has to do with simply having no idea how to play anyways. Losing never helps either even considering that losing is a part of coaching.
6/2/2018 10:45 AM
I'd have to concur with Mojo's post too.
6/2/2018 10:46 AM
I'm in the same line of thinking as hookem. Give new users three seasons for the price of one, or maybe five seasons for the price of two. If you give players an opportunity to get through the learning curve and build their team, they'll stick around and spend a lot more than the $20 or $30 you gave up front.

I also agree with the need for a better reward system. Really, I think there should be a loyalty reward, something like every fifth season is free. There's a reason so many businesses reward customer loyalty. Acquiring new customers isn't cheap; it's freaking expensive, in fact. So, giving your existing customers a reason to stick around is not just smart, it's essential.

Finally, an option to get more human coached teams in the worlds would be to offer players a discount on additional teams, something like play one and get the second team at half price.

These are all proven techniques used by virtually every type of business and criminal enterprise. No reason they shouldn't work for SportsHub. I mean, they already have sunk costs in just keeping the servers up and running. Those costs aren't likely to change significantly whether there are 1,00 players or 10,000. In fact, the economies of scale are likely to work in their favor if they just take action to get more players.
6/2/2018 1:05 PM (edited)
12 Next ▸
Where are all the NEW coaches ? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.