Where are all the NEW coaches ? Topic

If I was a new guy I would see the BCS era setup as a red flag.

Were playing an old game. One that has not aged well.

Some of the things that we accept as part of the game turns off new people.

Only having 50 players. Not having 25 scholarships per season. No athletes to recruit. Injuries broke so durability is broke. Only 3 redshirts. No playoff. Inaccurate conferences.

I know its unrealistic but a small update every year (12 seasons) would have made this game sustainable.

6/2/2018 12:41 PM
Posted by chrondon84 on 6/2/2018 12:41:00 PM (view original):
If I was a new guy I would see the BCS era setup as a red flag.

Were playing an old game. One that has not aged well.

Some of the things that we accept as part of the game turns off new people.

Only having 50 players. Not having 25 scholarships per season. No athletes to recruit. Injuries broke so durability is broke. Only 3 redshirts. No playoff. Inaccurate conferences.

I know its unrealistic but a small update every year (12 seasons) would have made this game sustainable.

I agree with Chrondon. While I love this game, I can see why things like those he mentions would be head-scratchers for new guys.

I think the new owners need to take a risk, and invest back in the game. Sure, some changes will be met with hostility and maybe drive some away. But, doing nothing will just continue the erosion of customers over time.
6/2/2018 11:46 PM
Posted by mojolad on 6/2/2018 10:43:00 AM (view original):
I was too proud to ask for help. It took me too damn long to shake failure.Like the guys before me, I don't have answers .
But the question is how do you get newby's to have an understanding of the game right away so at least they understand what to do and why.
One suggestion I do have is create a Tutorial Video or even multitple ones for each aspect of the game. While many guys won't read the posts in tutorial threads, they would(I believe) be more likely to watch tutorial. Pin them to the top of GD Forum.
I took you up on that. If you watch it please let me know your thoughts. I've never done anything like that before so IDK what possessed me to try. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMRj376wzxY&feature=youtu.be
6/3/2018 12:24 AM
Posted by hookemhorns7 on 6/3/2018 12:24:00 AM (view original):
I was too proud to ask for help. It took me too damn long to shake failure.Like the guys before me, I don't have answers .
But the question is how do you get newby's to have an understanding of the game right away so at least they understand what to do and why.
One suggestion I do have is create a Tutorial Video or even multitple ones for each aspect of the game. While many guys won't read the posts in tutorial threads, they would(I believe) be more likely to watch tutorial. Pin them to the top of GD Forum.
I took you up on that. If you watch it please let me know your thoughts. I've never done anything like that before so IDK what possessed me to try. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMRj376wzxY&feature=youtu.be
Good stuff.

There are many good coaches out there. Some are willing to help, and some aren't. It would be good to reinforce and update a list of people willing to help new coaches. Each level is different, so even better if there were mentors for each division.

Sure changes would be great, but like someone mentioned, sometimes changes hurt more than help. As much as I would like to see the game engine tweaked that might take more resources then WIS has available. Enhancing the current game would be easier and just as welcome to both old and new coaches. Even just adding to and improving the stat keeping would be a very nice addition.
6/3/2018 3:29 AM
Hookem, first let me say that overall I was very impressed by how much info you presented.
A few things I would have done differently:
Realizing that most of these guys we're trying to educate have almost or no knowledge of what makes GD tick, I would have spoken slower and spend more time on pages that would help intitially. Like Players Guide, Coaching 101 and Faqs.
That's all I can think of but others might see other things.
Thank You for doing the work on this !
6/3/2018 3:44 AM
One of the suggestions I made years ago, that I still think would be helpful -- free to play "starter worlds". Maybe limit it to 30 or so teams. The worlds would reset every year, with every school needing 7-12 recruits. It would be a streamlined experience, lasting at most two weeks. During each phase (recruiting, practice / game planning, games) the "Assistant Coach" would guide you through the process, explaining attributes, and rosters, and competing with other players & sims for recruits, etc.
6/3/2018 8:51 AM
An excellent idea BH.
6/3/2018 10:04 AM
Posted by bhazlewood on 6/3/2018 8:51:00 AM (view original):
One of the suggestions I made years ago, that I still think would be helpful -- free to play "starter worlds". Maybe limit it to 30 or so teams. The worlds would reset every year, with every school needing 7-12 recruits. It would be a streamlined experience, lasting at most two weeks. During each phase (recruiting, practice / game planning, games) the "Assistant Coach" would guide you through the process, explaining attributes, and rosters, and competing with other players & sims for recruits, etc.
This is a great idea

im betting Sportshub will dismiss it lol
6/3/2018 2:43 PM
Posted by hookemhorns7 on 6/3/2018 12:24:00 AM (view original):
enabling new coaches to cheat????? (sarcasm)
6/3/2018 3:04 PM
I finally took the plunge in February I think. This will be my fourth season with my first team and then there I have two others that are almost as old. I've been playing Goalline Bliitz since season 1 and it has a lot of the same problems with a dwindling base. The game itself is pretty cool, though I'd played enough to know there are parts of game planning that I don't understand yet. I feel I've had pretty decent success, but that's due to a lot of SIM team more than talent. I think one thing that discourages new owners is that when you sign up you may be waiting almost a week with absolutely nothing to do. If signing up is an impulse, waiting to recruit can kill it.
6/3/2018 4:45 PM
◂ Prev 12
Where are all the NEW coaches ? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.