CRASH!!! Topic

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/23729870/real-not-chris-davis-worst-season-all

Cant wait to see how much his SLB salary will be.
6/8/2018 4:23 AM
He might make our all-time worst list for the progressive league!
6/8/2018 12:41 PM
The Orioles should get a pro-rated refund.
6/8/2018 1:11 PM
The Orioles should have their heads examined for signing him in the first place.
6/8/2018 3:42 PM
Posted by wylie715 on 6/8/2018 3:42:00 PM (view original):
The Orioles should have their heads examined for signing him in the first place.
While this may be true, I don't think anyone saw this kind of collapse. I anticipated .230ish, 75 walks and 30-40 homers a season, which, while not worth his contract, is eons better than the production he's giving.
6/22/2018 10:19 AM
pretty much anything is better than what he's been giving. They never should have signed him in the first place. For that mony they could have gotten more.
6/22/2018 12:13 PM
The Orioles don't apply much logic when it comes to spending money. They cheap out on good players and waste money elsewhere. They don't seem to realize that all the money spent on retreads, AAAA players, etc. adds up. Heck, they've already committed more money to Mark Trumbo than they refused to give Nelson Cruz, and Cruz has been infinitely more productive.
6/22/2018 1:04 PM
Ok, I agree with the sentiment of what you're saying, but a couple of things:

1) Cruz got more years and a higher AAV than Trumbo; not sure what you're asserting that they "refused to give" him, but his market was clearly higher
2) Trumbo was younger

If it had been up to me, the O's would have passed on both. Yes, in this case Cruz has probably already hit enough to validate his contract. Good for Seattle. That still doesn't mean I'm going to go out and gamble on 4+-year deals for hitters in their mid-30s with no real tools except power.
6/25/2018 4:38 PM
I had the wrong number in my head for Cruz. I thought he signed for 4/$44M, but it was 4/$52M. But regardless, the O's have committed $47M to Trumbo, through the end of his current contract. The difference between Cruz and Trumbo has been greater than $5M.

Also, comparing the two is ridiculous. Trumbo has one tool. Cruz can hit for a decent average and get on base too. Trumbo has OPS'd over .800 twice in his career. When Cruz left the Orioles, he'd already OPS'd over .800 5 times in full seasons (including over .900 once). His career average is also 26 points higher than Trumbo's.

When Cruz became a FA, he was a question mark. Trumbo had failure written all over him.

Either way, I don't begrudge people if they were uncomfortable giving Cruz a contract, but what I don't get is this team refusing to re-sign guys like Cruz and Markakis, then blowing their wad on Davis and Trumbo. Or refusing to spend big money on Miller, and then giving huge money to O'Day.

Everyone always says the O's are cheap. I wish that was the case because then we'd at least be void of the awful contracts too. This team has no problem spending, they're just totally clueless as to what they're spending on.
6/26/2018 10:11 AM
CRASH!!! Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.