Changing the offense and defense on a new team Topic

If I become a coach of a team and I want to change the offense and defense they run, what's the best way to go about doing that? Or should I run what the team is already running? I looked through some of the other threads, but couldn't find anything on this.
6/13/2018 7:06 AM
This is just me maybe, but run the new offense and defense right away, and practice at least 25 minutes in each. I'll concede that the first year at a school will be a struggle. Your Athletic Director will make some sarcastic comments but i just ignore him.
6/13/2018 7:44 AM
Thanks. That's kind of what I was thinking.
6/13/2018 7:54 AM
Any time I've switched I start putting minutes (25/25 for the first season) in the new O/D immediately. If I'm starting a bunch of upperclassmen, I'll generally use the old O/D in games until the last few games of the season.
6/13/2018 10:36 AM
Posted by mbriese on 6/13/2018 10:36:00 AM (view original):
Any time I've switched I start putting minutes (25/25 for the first season) in the new O/D immediately. If I'm starting a bunch of upperclassmen, I'll generally use the old O/D in games until the last few games of the season.
This.

I changed defenses recently with one of my teams, and this is basically how I handled it. I think I actually switched to the new D at the start of the conference tournament.

Timing counts, so your best time to switch might be a season where maybe you have a bunch of incoming freshman and are expecting to have a transition (i.e. "down") season anyways. Switching O/D will make the transition even more severe, but at least you're containing it to a season where you weren't expecting to be competitive.

My transition season, I went 6-21. In the 1+ seasons since, I've gone 27-11 playing in a very competitive conference.
6/13/2018 1:15 PM
I ALWAYS spend one entire season practicing the new offense and running the old offense. I then switch for the following season. Even a few games of practice isn't going to make your players any better for that season. Low iq leads to a lot of turnovers.

6/16/2018 3:56 PM
yeah, unless you have basically all freshman, you should run the old O/D for that first season. running the new O/D is just doubling down on how bad that first season hurts your prestige.
6/16/2018 4:22 PM
Posted by Arfy on 6/16/2018 3:56:00 PM (view original):
I ALWAYS spend one entire season practicing the new offense and running the old offense. I then switch for the following season. Even a few games of practice isn't going to make your players any better for that season. Low iq leads to a lot of turnovers.

That makes sense. I was trying to figure out the best way to about doing the change.
6/19/2018 7:52 AM
Changing the offense and defense on a new team Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.