I'm sure there's a thread in here somewhere, but how long do I have to coach D2??

I don't want to spend a lot of time with a team/teams I don't want to coach long term.

Just want to try d1 for the first time. Thanks.
6/13/2018 1:00 PM
From my experience, if you make the NT three times in D2, then you will qualify for around a dozen D-minus teams in weaker conferences in Div-1. I think 2 NT's and 2 PIT's will also work.

I had three NT's, lost in the first round of each, and qualified. Good luck!
6/13/2018 2:31 PM
Plus jumping around from team to team doesn't help your loyalty.

6/13/2018 2:49 PM
I qualified for D1 after 3 D2 seasons (2 NT & 1 PI Championship). The key is definitely picking a D2 team that can have success right away.
6/13/2018 2:55 PM
I made it from D2 to low-D1 with two straight NT round 1 losses.
6/13/2018 4:18 PM
Posted by pallas on 6/13/2018 4:18:00 PM (view original):
I made it from D2 to low-D1 with two straight NT round 1 losses.
Well you had 4 total seasons at D2. Even the seasons without NT bids help.
6/13/2018 8:40 PM
Posted by npb7768 on 6/13/2018 2:31:00 PM (view original):
From my experience, if you make the NT three times in D2, then you will qualify for around a dozen D-minus teams in weaker conferences in Div-1. I think 2 NT's and 2 PIT's will also work.

Not exactly true. I had three straight NTs (Tarkanian 93-95) at Montana State-Billings, including an at-large bid and a 2nd round appearance, went 73-15 and still did not qualify. I dumped Tark after that. It all depends on how bad your resume is prior to making the NT streak.
6/13/2018 9:30 PM
Posted by gomiami1972 on 6/13/2018 9:30:00 PM (view original):

Not exactly true. I had three straight NTs (Tarkanian 93-95) at Montana State-Billings, including an at-large bid and a 2nd round appearance, went 73-15 and still did not qualify. I dumped Tark after that. It all depends on how bad your resume is prior to making the NT streak.
thanks miami, i didn't realize this.
6/14/2018 4:06 PM

I think if your seasons coached + NT wins equal five(maybe 6) or more you will qualify.
6/14/2018 4:56 PM
Looking at your resume, I would not be surprised if you could go from D3 Macalester to a D- prestige D1 at the end of this season. You're almost certainly going to have another NT appearance. In Tark, I went straight from D3 Bridgewater State to D1 D- Miami of Ohio with a resume similar to yours at Macalester.
6/14/2018 5:29 PM
Posted by grimacedance on 6/14/2018 5:29:00 PM (view original):
Looking at your resume, I would not be surprised if you could go from D3 Macalester to a D- prestige D1 at the end of this season. You're almost certainly going to have another NT appearance. In Tark, I went straight from D3 Bridgewater State to D1 D- Miami of Ohio with a resume similar to yours at Macalester.
Yes, but I love my Macalester team and plan on keeping them. Wanted to try a D1 with a second team.

You guys were right. The dude said I should try a D1 school but they all don't like my Loyalty. Time to find a D2 school and keep it a few season or I'll get bored and stay with one team.
6/15/2018 2:30 PM
Posted by brett3154 on 6/15/2018 2:30:00 PM (view original):
Posted by grimacedance on 6/14/2018 5:29:00 PM (view original):
Yes, but I love my Macalester team and plan on keeping them. Wanted to try a D1 with a second team.

You guys were right. The dude said I should try a D1 school but they all don't like my Loyalty. Time to find a D2 school and keep it a few season or I'll get bored and stay with one team.
If your only goal is to make it to D1 as fast as you can, then cherry-pick a high-prestige D2 team and stay there the minimum amount of time. I did that in Phelan. I was returning to that world and needed one more D2 NT appearance to qualify for D1. I picked the highest prestige D2 team I could find, took them to the Sweet Sixteen and then bolted for D- Manhattan. I barely knew anything about my team and had no emotional investment in them, but it was a means to an end.
6/15/2018 3:06 PM
I did this in Tark. Took over at Ashland and went PI Champs, 2nd round NT, 2nd round NT and left for a brutally awful High Point squad. Only took 3 seasons in D2.
6/16/2018 8:45 AM
Posted by Trentonjoe on 6/14/2018 4:56:00 PM (view original):

I think if your seasons coached + NT wins equal five(maybe 6) or more you will qualify.
Unfortunately, this is not true. I reached the Championship game and lost in year 2 at D2 (after 1 season in D3). The first season I went to NT but lost first game. I'm NQ for any D1 job, so it appears (barring a Championship win?) that three seasons in D2 is a must.
6/22/2018 10:23 AM

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.