Not a new player, but have hit a wall. I've built up this team for a while. I was losing consistently in the early years, but was patient b/c the talent just wasn't there. I thought I would break out this year, but we have been unimpressive, esp. this game:

Hoops Dynasty – College Basketball Sim Games - Game Boxscore - Saint Louis vs. George Washington

Why did I lose to a much less talented team by so much? Was it just a fluke or am I missing something?? Any advice would be appreciated.
6/13/2018 6:21 PM
IQ.
6/13/2018 7:09 PM
I don't get why you turned ball over that much against zone. You distro is out of wack for motion. Looks like you only use 2 players with high distro. I would of played 3-2 -2 or -3. They have high IQ a lot of upperclassmen. I might not of went uptempo. Their bench destroyed yours. Even out your distro.
6/13/2018 7:22 PM
Posted by zorzii on 6/13/2018 7:09:00 PM (view original):
IQ.
IQ are even, that's not issue
6/13/2018 7:23 PM
First of all... why is Gerow even allowed to come and practice with the rest of the team. That guy is awful! I know he's not really playing.. but still. My eyes are burning!

I agree with Terps. You're going 3-2 against teams without terribly scary Per shooters. Go minus if you're gonna play 3-2 against those teams.

Remember - with zone, you don't NEED to have 12 guys on your team. Stop filling out your roster with mediocre players and take walk ons.
6/13/2018 8:39 PM
I would increase distro on Asher. Especially when you don't start him. He could be your best scorer off the bench. It would help even out the distro somewhat.
6/13/2018 8:52 PM
Thanks, guys. What position(s) should be responsible for scoring in motion?
6/14/2018 5:10 AM
The conventional wisdom with motion has always been it works best when you’re spreading scoring out evenly. No one position benefits the most from added distribution. However, aejones won like 20 titles and exclusively ran motion and almost always had someone (usually a guard) average 20+ppg. He strongly advocated for just giving the ball to the guys that can score and let the engine figure it out.

6/14/2018 7:30 AM
I agree with terps and benis, and zorzii. Not just to agree, but the 3-2 and fast tempo really killed you. Your starting five was superior when rested, but they played too many minutes getting tired against his bench. You are correct, you SHOULD have won that game with your talent. D1 really requires Coaching game by game.
6/14/2018 9:23 AM
I’m not seeing a problem with tempo and fatigue in the box score or pbp. I’d have gone -1 against this particular team, but other than that, I think the settings were fine.

Motion and FB seem to have a lower threshold triggering an overuse penalty. In flex and triangle, I generally go by the 50% distribution rule of thumb - no player set to take more than 50% of the shots among the players on the floor (10-6-4-1-1, or 11-4-4-4-0, etc). For motion and FB, I use 33% instead (8-7-5-3-2, or 7-7-6-2-0). Curry, Asher, Phelps, and Wright could all be nudged up, from what I can see in this box score, and it *may* have helped your efficiency.

Caveat is, of course, sometimes you just get a bad sim. If what you have been doing has been working well, or as expected, basing changes on a single game result is usually not a great idea. So I definitely wouldn’t go overboard on any kind of correction.
6/14/2018 9:52 AM
Posted by wvufan76 on 6/14/2018 9:23:00 AM (view original):
I agree with terps and benis, and zorzii. Not just to agree, but the 3-2 and fast tempo really killed you. Your starting five was superior when rested, but they played too many minutes getting tired against his bench. You are correct, you SHOULD have won that game with your talent. D1 really requires Coaching game by game.
This makes a lot of sense. Thanks!
6/14/2018 10:07 AM
Great advice from all.. I should have asked this question months ago.
6/14/2018 10:10 AM
Honestly if you account for his 2 walk-ons the overall talent was near equal. Your starting 5 was better but his bench players were superior to yours. Never judge a team on OVR only. Agree with the others that you should have gone slow-down.

And it can be ok to only have 2 scorers, but you have to be willing to move them around your lineup so that opposing coaches have more of a game-planning challenge. If they knew your only scorers were going to play the 2 and 5, that's too easy to plan for.
6/14/2018 12:16 PM
I would have went 2-3 against this SLU team and put heavy distribution on your bigs and cut down on the 3s. Still don’t understand why the rebounding margin was pretty much even..maybe it’s possible to be successful in HD without having a true center
6/14/2018 12:22 PM
Also I have been on auto pilot this initial season. No game planning or roster changes at all. Maybe slowdown would have been a better tempo option for this matchup to give your starters more time on the court.
6/14/2018 12:26 PM
12 Next ▸

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.