IF you were to decide to go pass-only, what formation would you choose?

I have to assume the QB is the key with GI and TEC being the key/prevailing attributes?
6/14/2018 11:17 AM
You can pass only effectively in any formation... I've seen ND Box and Wishbone that worked. Crazy I know. I like to use Trips for passing only, but also use I-Formation just because I don't like Pro, reminds me of the 1986 Giants.

I prefer TEC, GI then STR in a QB.
6/14/2018 12:15 PM
Thoughts:

1. You can use any formation from which to effectively pass.
2. STR/GI/Tech are the key attributes. Coaches rate them differently. Most go GI/Tech/STR. I personally rate STR/GI/Tech. I run an isolation offense that only targets one player and STR is the determining attribute on whether a QB "forces" a pass or not. In short, I do not want to check down or have the AI pick the receiver, therefore STR is important for me to "force" the pass play I want the computer to simulate.
3. ELU/ATH are very important in avoiding sacks.
4. FIQ is a major, major factor in INT's (along with GI).
5. Personally, I do not believe pass only/medium depth works (at least for the last three/four seasons). My data shows a decline in completion % (10% to 15%) across the board on pass only/med depth gameplans.
6. There are probably variants of the pass only that work, but the popular pass only/med depth is off right now, at least according to my data.

Good luck.

nitros
6/14/2018 1:44 PM
Some great points from Nitros there!! The attributes that are most important for a QB will depend on how you want to run your offence. I value GI the most followed by Tech because of how I run my O. Nitros prefers STR because of how he runs his O. I will put a highlight on #4 point from nitros....FIQ FIQ FIQ matters ALOT for QB's. I run both the Iform and Pro set for pass only offences.
6/14/2018 1:53 PM
Formation IQ is very, very critical to avoid throwing interceptions!
6/14/2018 2:45 PM
Like others have alluded to, if you do want to run an all pass offense you should shoot to have a RS Sr. starter every year and also understand that your backup QB will play a lot of important snaps (read: redzone). I would ideally want my starter to have formation IQ around 90 and the backup to be at least high 70s.

Nitros, curious about your data regarding medium passing. When you say 10% do you mean a drop from 70% to 60% or a drop from 70 to 63%?

I had noticed swings like this before, as well. I generally have attributed lower completion percentages with lower technique at QB, better defenses, the random logic the game has sometimes and QB's playing below 95% effectiveness. I took a quick look around at some teams of coaches that I know are using the offense you mentioned and I don't see a significant difference. There are so many factors to consider (QB ratings, receiver ratings and defense ratings/alignment, pass rush) that it could be noise more than anything. Also, as passing becomes more and more prevalent it's possible there has been a natural adjustment by coaches to prioritize pass defense when it comes to recruiting/roster management. I'm currently experimenting with an all Nickel defense and maintaining an experienced secondary.

Here is one example: https://www.whatifsports.com/gd/TeamProfile/Stats.aspx?tid=54546
The completion percentage is good, which I would expect from QB's with excellent technique ratings. IMO he's leaving points on the field by playing his starting QB at 90% instead of 95% because the backup is more than serviceable and that would be my theory as to why the completion percentage falls in games versus humans. That and the skill position guys are not up to par.

I'm not currently playing at D1A, but my last stint there was 4 seasons ago and I found it still effective despite being generally out-manned talent wise.

6/15/2018 12:44 PM
"Nitros, curious about your data regarding medium passing. When you say 10% do you mean a drop from 70% to 60% or a drop from 70 to 63%?"

I do not see this, unless Nitros is comparing medium vs short.
6/15/2018 2:14 PM

Nitros, curious about your data regarding medium passing. When you say 10% do you mean a drop from 70% to 60% or a drop from 70 to 63%?

Using my ISO gameplan, I see a drop in overall average drop in completion percentage of about 10% against humans. Against "good" humans, I see about a 15% drop in completion percentage.

Sample size is too small to say with any certainty, but it is enough that I have changed my gameplan(s). I also understand that comp % has many compotent parts to it and this may just be a "weird" series of events.

nitros (James)

6/15/2018 3:18 PM

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.