Craziest 4th quarter ever? Topic

Had 3 onside kicks recovered on me in a row (including an onside safety punt apparently?) and a 70 yard walk off rushing TD to finish me off. I'm Northwood

https://www.whatifsports.com/gd/GameResults/PlayByPlay.aspx?gid=6887058&quarter=4

Pretty heated after this one. I'm fairly certain that the other team getting the ball after the punt is a glitch in the game that needs fixed.
6/15/2018 2:58 PM
The onside kick coding definitely needs to be fixed. Way too many of them being recovered by the kicking team.

Not sure what you are talking about with the punt.
6/15/2018 3:47 PM
The game engine has been broken for a long time but this looks like a new low lol
6/15/2018 4:05 PM
I think he's right about the "onside punt". At the 9:40 mark in the 4th, Northwood tackles WSSU for a loss for a safety. The ensuing play is an onside kick, which was recovered by WSSU. I'm guessing technically a team can do an onside punt, right?

6/15/2018 4:14 PM
The team has the option of punting or placekicking off a tee. And an onside punt or kick is legal after a safety.
6/15/2018 5:17 PM (edited)
I've watched a lot of football and have never seen it. I'm sure it's legal, just the way that it was presented in the play by play didn't make it seem like it really even took into account that there was a safety the play before. I could be biased though as it was the reason I lost the game.
6/15/2018 5:23 PM
Rule-wise, it was legal and all. But there certainly seems to be an issue with how often the kicking team recovered the onside kicks. And that was definitely the craziest quarter I've seen here.
6/16/2018 1:29 AM
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1994_John_Tyler_vs._Plano_East_high_school_football_game

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2744056-high-school-team-earns-comeback-win-with-3-touchdowns-in-final-minute
6/16/2018 9:41 AM
Posted by bjschumacher on 6/15/2018 5:17:00 PM (view original):
The team has the option of punting or placekicking off a tee. And an onside punt or kick is legal after a safety.
The option is to punt or placekick without a tee (you need someone to hold the ball). Onside kick is legal but risky because you are further back toward your own goal.

Nonetheless, 3 in a row is ridiculous as the odds just don't favor that at all.
6/17/2018 9:14 AM
Was there a significant special teams IQ difference here? I’ve often wondered how the AI selects players on special teams plays. Could a situation occur where you get a bunch of linebackers or DLs with poor hands ratings but high ST IQ on the kick off return play? Does the computer think to put in the hands team? I’m guessing probably not.
6/17/2018 9:31 AM
One of the many flaws with the game.
6/18/2018 7:08 PM
Craziest 4th quarter ever? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.