3 Man Cheese Staffs? Topic

I spent some time trying to figure out why my teams are so bad. I noticed my teams give up a lot of home runs although I did have a team that has given up the least amount of home runs in the league and they still suck.

Instead of looking at my teams I started looking at the teams with the best record. I noticed nearly all of them have 3 man, 350 inning pitchers from like 1910. Same teams seem to use a lot of 1910-1920 hitters as well.

I wish I didnt have to build a team like that because it seems cheesy.

I wish they could tweak it a little so that isn’t such a go to crutch for teams. I seem to gravitate to players from like 1970 on. I’m sure there is more to it and I will probably make a cheese team to see if I could have the same success.
6/27/2018 4:18 PM
It's certainly possible to build good teams using players from all eras. The reason that older players have been more popular is that the older pitchers are particularly good at suppressing homers. When the deadball pitchers are so ubiquitous, it ends up not being very effective to go for the big home run hitters, which, of course, are more prevalent in the modern era, so people lean to the older hitters who specialized more in doubles and triples. Keep experimenting, and don't give in to the pressure to make a cookie-cutter team!
6/27/2018 5:01 PM
That's why I tend to gravitate towards theme leagues that have rules that restrict the number of Deadball Era pitchers you're likely to see.
6/27/2018 5:34 PM
I hate using the same deadball pitchers in every open league but when you need innings for your starters, they’re primarily the ones to go to. Most are good at suppressing homers like mattedesa said, but when you factor in normalization some of them give up the long ball as much as some modern pitchers. I also join theme leagues now and then which either limit or completely restrict any pitchers (or any player at all)from the dead ball era and it is fun to see more pitchers from the 60’s-present.
6/27/2018 6:36 PM
Deadball pitchers can be beaten. There are many good modern pitchers, and some are good values. They can be effective at any cap, in any park.

Determine what you are willing to spend, and find those bargains!
6/27/2018 6:41 PM
Another option is to play progressives. I haven't played an open league or a theme in almost ten years. But, if you want to keep doing so, progressives will acquaint you with different players from different eras.

Also, try to pick parks that have a favorable pitcher rating. Among my leagues, I've used South End Grounds, Braves Field (Boston), Shea, and Yankee Stadium. Also had some success in Dodger Stadium.
6/27/2018 6:47 PM
Sure, but modern pitchers can win at Coors, Hilltop, any hitter's park. You don't have to suppress offense...I see it just the opposite. Good enough pitching will suffice if you score enough runs!
6/27/2018 6:52 PM
Agreed, Doc. I definitely bias towards using offensive parks. Probably around 80% of the time. Don't forget about defense. Defense is more important in hitter's parks
6/27/2018 7:01 PM
Correct! And Mikey doesn't like it when I limit a league to a neutral park!
6/27/2018 7:06 PM
Test your theories. I just created a league using 1945-2017 pitching seasons...the ad is up...
6/27/2018 7:56 PM
Posted by DoctorKz on 6/27/2018 7:06:00 PM (view original):
Hate it lol
6/27/2018 8:50 PM
Posted by ozomatli on 6/27/2018 8:50:00 PM (view original):
Hate it lol
But it IS a challenge...even WaitNSee struggled a little...there were no .600 teams!
6/27/2018 8:55 PM
Posted by DoctorKz on 6/27/2018 8:55:00 PM (view original):
Posted by ozomatli on 6/27/2018 8:50:00 PM (view original):
Hate it lol
But it IS a challenge...even WaitNSee struggled a little...there were no .600 teams!
Yeah it's tough. Takes away a differentiator. Have been thinking about how to make the best use of it for the WISC actually, either this year (Round 2) or next...
6/27/2018 9:03 PM
3 man staff is straight cheese. We want deadballers to give up more dongs, but the way the price updates are now, they’re the best value. There might be better $/IP guys, but the way I’m thinking, it’s better to draft 3 guys and have 1 clanker vs. having 2 guys, and one ends up sucking, or drafting 4 guys and hoping 3 of them do good
6/28/2018 12:46 AM
Posted by d_rock97 on 6/28/2018 12:46:00 AM (view original):
3 man staff is straight cheese. We want deadballers to give up more dongs, but the way the price updates are now, they’re the best value. There might be better $/IP guys, but the way I’m thinking, it’s better to draft 3 guys and have 1 clanker vs. having 2 guys, and one ends up sucking, or drafting 4 guys and hoping 3 of them do good
How does this have anything to do with the price updates? Deadballer pitchers have been the best value on this site since I joined in 2004.
6/28/2018 3:37 AM
12 Next ▸
3 Man Cheese Staffs? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.