Pro Set Pass Question Topic

Does this make sense to do so: out of the Pro Set, create a formation that places my two best 'possession" RBs in the backfield and set the pass distribution 33/33/34 to the two of them and my TE? I am aware that I am not leaving a FB in to block, but does the impact of having two targets coming out of the backfield present some type of advantage over the defense?

I have a Pro Set formation that I used last season to solely passed to either the RB or the TE (left FB in to block) and it was my most successful formation in regards to percentage of passes caught and average yards per catch. So, I was wondering if adding a third target - the second possession RB - would somehow overload the LBs on defense.
7/11/2018 6:58 AM
You might be vulnerable to better pass rushing teams. One thing about GD - very little is certain. Only one way to know for sure and that is to try it., especially against those teams with great pass rush and see if it works.
7/11/2018 9:11 AM
Posted by mojolad on 7/11/2018 9:11:00 AM (view original):
You might be vulnerable to better pass rushing teams. One thing about GD - very little is certain. Only one way to know for sure and that is to try it., especially against those teams with great pass rush and see if it works.
That makes sense...I'll give it a try and see what the end result is...thanks!
7/11/2018 12:12 PM
Pass depth will also play a key role in this equation, the longer you try to throw the longer the QB has to wait and with it being 2 RB's it will take a few steps more for them to get to that depth vs a WR. I wouldn't go further than medium, maybe do one short and the other 2 medium or vice versa.
7/11/2018 10:09 PM

Does this make sense to do so: out of the Pro Set, create a formation that places my two best 'possession" RBs in the backfield and set the pass distribution 33/33/34 to the two of them and my TE? I am aware that I am not leaving a FB in to block, but does the impact of having two targets coming out of the backfield present some type of advantage over the defense?

No advantage in my opinion. I can make a credible argument it puts you in a disadvantage.

Assuming you have them at the same distance and you have 100% allocated to pass at that distance, I believe the computer will pick RB1 33% of the time, RB2 33% of the time and TE 34% of the time. I also believe the defense will be the same LB or S group (depending on distance) modified by the next closest group every time, no matter which of the three receivers the computer picks.

IMO a waste of:

1. A potential blocker.
2. Stamina of 2 of the 3 receivers.

The above analysis is my opinion on how the engine works, so it could be wrong.

nitros (James)

7/11/2018 11:17 PM

Pass depth will also play a key role in this equation, the longer you try to throw the longer the QB has to wait and with it being 2 RB's it will take a few steps more for them to get to that depth vs a WR. I wouldn't go further than medium, maybe do one short and the other 2 medium or vice versa.

+1 on time and distance points.

nitros (James)

7/11/2018 11:23 PM
Pro Set Pass Question Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.