Riddle Me This - "QB does not see..." Topic

So, if you have followed my posts, my entire offensive philosophy is isolation which means simply that i try to spot the weakness in the defense and run a play to exploit that weakness.

In this particular game, I wanted to throw a deep pass to my TE because I spotted an opportunity on a certain down against my opponent.

Question: Does anyone have a clue what causes a QB to "not see" the wide open receiver? I can understand every now and then based on the engine check, but almost every time? That stinks of a flaw in an attribute (at least to me).

Thanks for all input.

Defense lines up for a pass with a cover Medium. Brent Smith takes the snap and drops back to pass. The defensive line gets a good first step. Smith throws to the wide open Cooper at the OSU 27 (Deep). Cooper pulls in the catch. Ross gets a hand on Cooper to bring him down at the OSU 22. 53 yard gain.

Defense lines up for a pass with a cover Medium. Brent Smith takes the snap and drops back to pass. The offensive line gets the first step. Here comes that strong defensive line, they are starting to break through. Smith doesn't see the wide open Cooper at the UM 45 (Deep). Cooper (Gonzales) is covered at the UM 49 (Deep). Cooper (Gonzales) is covered at the OSU 46 (Deep). Smith throws to Taylor (Doss) at the UM 19 (Short). Taylor pulls in the catch. Taylor is tackled by Acevedo at the UM 24 . 8 yards on the play.

Defense lines up for a run. Blitz by Rogers. Brent Smith takes the snap and drops back to pass. The offensive line gets the first step. The defensive line has somehow broken through to get great pressure on Smith. Smith doesn't see the wide open Cooper at the OSU 35 (Deep). Smith throws to a covered Taylor (Acevedo) at the UM 29 (Short). Pass is knocked down by Acevedo.

Defense lines up for a run. Blitz by Rogers. Brent Smith takes the snap and drops back to pass. The offensive line gets the first step. The defensive line has somehow broken through to get great pressure on Smith. Smith rolls out of the pocket. Smith throws to Cooper (Flores) at the OSU 14 (Deep). Pass is overthrown. Incomplete.

Defense lines up for a run. Blitz by Rogers. Brent Smith takes the snap and drops back to pass. The defensive line gets a good first step. Smith doesn't see the wide open Cooper at the OSU 1 (Deep). Smith throws to the wide open Cooper at the OSU -4 (Deep). Cooper drops the pass.

Defense lines up for a run. Blitz by Rogers. Brent Smith takes the snap and drops back to pass. The defensive line gets a good first step. Smith can't get the pass off to Cooper (Flores) at the OSU 24 (Deep). Smith doesn't see the wide open Cooper at the OSU 16 (Deep). Smith throws to the wide open Cooper at the OSU 2 (Deep). Pass is thrown behind Cooper. Incomplete.

Defense lines up for a run. Blitz by Rogers. Brent Smith takes the snap and drops back to pass. Smith doesn't see the wide open Cooper at the OSU 30 (Deep). Smith doesn't see the wide open Cooper at the OSU 35 (Deep). Smith throws to a covered Taylor (Ross) at the UM 30 (Short). Pass is knocked down by Ross.

Defense lines up for a run. Blitz by Rogers. Brent Smith takes the snap and drops back to pass. The offensive line gets the first step. Here comes that strong defensive line, they are starting to break through. Cooper (Flores) is covered at the OSU 38 (Deep). Smith doesn't see the wide open Cooper at the OSU 41 (Deep). Smith throws to Wood (Doss) at the UM 24 (Short). Wood pulls in the catch. Ross gets a hand on Wood to bring him down at the UM 22. 2 yard gain.

Defense lines up for a run. Blitz by Rogers. Brent Smith takes the snap and drops back to pass. The defensive line has broken through. Smith rolls out of the pocket. Smith throws to the wide open Cooper at the OSU 32 (Deep). Pass is overthrown. Incomplete.

7/11/2018 10:59 PM
You think too much.
7/11/2018 11:05 PM
every time but one, the defensive line got the first step or broke through

seven of nine times they were in a run defense

whats his GI

too much pressure in too little time with maybe not a good enough quarterback is my guess

your choices are pass block better, quit huckin it long, or acquiesce
7/13/2018 1:00 PM (edited)

Pass depth will also play a key role in this equation, the longer you try to throw the longer the QB has to wait and with it being 2 RB's it will take a few steps more for them to get to that depth vs a WR. I wouldn't go further than medium, maybe do one short and the other 2 medium or vice versa.

+1 on time and distance points.

nitros (James)

well crap i just tol you what you tol the other guy

never mind

7/12/2018 5:54 AM
bagchucker - I think you are spot on in your analysis. STR - 67/GI - 70 which are not great for a 1A QB. FIQ is 84 which is good.

I suspect time was the main issue because of defensive rush. I think the "does not see" message is not accurate and the more accurate statement would have been "does not have time to pass to..."

I may change this play to force the throw to the TE and not leave the short outlet pass for the check down. If I keep both RB in to block, that might be helpful as well.

Of course, the GI may just be too low at 1A to "see" the wide open receiver in light of the rush.

nitros (James)
7/12/2018 10:06 AM
Maybe your QB is Colin Kaepernick....
7/12/2018 10:36 AM
How tall is he? :)
7/12/2018 10:51 AM
If he only had an eye-patch, he would have seen the receiver. Sigh.

nitros
7/12/2018 11:40 AM
Posted by nitros on 7/12/2018 11:40:00 AM (view original):
If he only had an eye-patch, he would have seen the receiver. Sigh.

nitros
But no depth perception - if the receiver's long, he would throw short and vice versa.
7/12/2018 12:36 PM
Riddle Me This - "QB does not see..." Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.