Lost 4 flips in a row while up 70-30. Topic

Posted by Benis on 8/16/2018 3:47:00 PM (view original):
Posted by topdogggbm on 8/15/2018 9:41:00 PM (view original):
Posted by Benis on 8/15/2018 9:11:00 PM (view original):
Posted by topdogggbm on 8/15/2018 9:05:00 PM (view original):
Posted by Benis on 8/15/2018 12:57:00 PM (view original):
Posted by hulnder on 8/15/2018 12:29:00 PM (view original):
Posted by topdogggbm on 8/15/2018 4:23:00 AM (view original):
I have question that could have an impact on these rolls...

preferences... are they factored in to the percentages? Or are they factored in at the decision time?

Team A puts in 1000 points worth of effort and has all very bad preferences

Team B puts in 500 points worth of effort and has all very good preferences

is that a 67/33 split (1000/500) and THEN the recruit makes a decision, factoring in the preferences after the fact?

or is that more like a 60/40 or 55/45 possibility? Because the preferences are factored in from the beginning, and give somewhat of an overall boost to Team B because of the preference advantage, and then the decision is made by the recruit?
The bigger question is why would a kid even consider a school if all his preferences are bad? No matter who many attention points you dump on him, he shouldn't even be considering you IMO.
Let's say your preferences are

- wants rebuild
- perimeter offense
- motion offense
- press defense

Coach Cal and Kentucky come calling while running a LP focused offense in Flex/M2M, are you going to turn them down to go play at Maine Presque Island because their preferences match?
To me.... this answer is yes honestly.

I think the "rebuild" preference is goofy somewhat. But if I want to play for a rebuild, I don't wanna go to UK. Specifically. Because I want to play for a turd apparently. If I wanted to go to UK and play for a title, and a dominant historical team, my preference would say that I want success.

But I don't wanna play for a successful team. I'd prefer to play for Toilet Bowl U.

But I don't think "rebuild" should be a preference we see more that 10 out of 1000 recruits. Because that's not a realistic thing that kids want very often.
They're called preferences for a reason. It's not a requirement.
That's fair. But I just think if rebuild was a person's preference, that says a lot about the mindset or the intentions of a recruit. If he prefers to play for a school that's rebuilding (in comparison to just flat out being open to anything), he doesn't want to play for a winner.

At least that's the way i interpret it. Reading between the lines. If he was open to playing for a winner, there would be no preference.

But this is all based on mindset. Not actually the way this game is played
Its just one preference amongst many that a person may have. But its a soft point not a firm restriction.

Lets say I ask you what you want for dinner and you say you're in the mood for Mexican and taco bell sounds good. Then a friend calls you and says he will take you to Jeff Ruby Steakhouse and its his treat.

Most sane people will choose the $80 free steak dinner over Taco Bell even though TBell was your initial preference.

If you're vegan then you will turn down the steak outright. Because thats a hard point restriction, not just a preference.
If you were vegan, your chances of finding something good at Taco Bell would be less than moderate
8/18/2018 3:30 PM
Another spudism what an …..

https://youtu.be/ZZW7YcYnXvc
8/18/2018 3:30 PM
After reading the above posts, I will share my LAST experience. Every cycle I used the maximum amount of attention points available which resulted in 1740 attention points. Combined with 20 home visits, campus visit, 25 minutes guaranteed and starting spot offered. Needless to say I was very high for the entire recruitment period with nobody else higher than low.
Preferences were very good for playing time, success, and playing style. Good for conference strength.
As of 5pm, Syracuse hadn’t even offered scholly at moderate (which was first cycle anyone above low) and 11pm he signs with them with odds 76/24. Been a long run but needless to say I’m salty.
8/18/2018 11:17 PM
THAT......is brutal.
8/18/2018 11:20 PM
THAT.....is why I’m done. Total BS
8/18/2018 11:27 PM
Posted by xequte on 8/18/2018 11:27:00 PM (view original):
Agreed. Put considering credit more important, vh-vh only.
8/19/2018 7:50 AM
Posted by zorzii on 8/19/2018 7:50:00 AM (view original):
Posted by xequte on 8/18/2018 11:27:00 PM (view original):
Agreed. Put considering credit more important, vh-vh only.
There’s no “considering credit”; there’s only credit amassed, and that’s absolutely how it should be. In terms of credit, this was probably a ~62-38 battle. The credit leader is a lower mid level Big 6 conference team who went all in; the dark horse is high A+ Syracuse, with multiple national championships in recent years, who made a late push. The outcome is realistic and completely understandable.

The frustration stems from a fundamental misunderstanding of how the game works. No B level prestige team should ever feel “safe” when an A+ is lurking. If Syracuse matches effort, those odds are reversed, if Penn State can even hang in there (it would be close). High A+ teams can get into a battle and get into signing range on just about anyone not locked in by another high prestige team.
8/19/2018 8:39 AM
Posted by xequte on 8/18/2018 11:17:00 PM (view original):
After reading the above posts, I will share my LAST experience. Every cycle I used the maximum amount of attention points available which resulted in 1740 attention points. Combined with 20 home visits, campus visit, 25 minutes guaranteed and starting spot offered. Needless to say I was very high for the entire recruitment period with nobody else higher than low.
Preferences were very good for playing time, success, and playing style. Good for conference strength.
As of 5pm, Syracuse hadn’t even offered scholly at moderate (which was first cycle anyone above low) and 11pm he signs with them with odds 76/24. Been a long run but needless to say I’m salty.
You should have used Spud's cheat code so you could put in more than 20 Home Visits.
8/19/2018 8:51 AM
Posted by Benis on 8/19/2018 8:51:00 AM (view original):
You should have used Spud's cheat code so you could put in more than 20 Home Visits.
...Or... as a B level team chasing a top 5 overall in the country player, with a late signing preference, he should have understood that it was *very likely* that a higher prestige team was going to make a late run - possibly with funds from an early entry - and adjusted his expectations accordingly. B prestige reaching up that high is a huge risk. Risks have consequences.

Or to use the stupid analogy somebody else brought up earlier, that friend offering a trip to Jeff Ruby Steakhouse called. It was a tough call, because the #4 overall recruit in the country had been thinking Taco Bell all day for some reason. But better reason took hold, and he went with the wagyu and truffles instead.
8/19/2018 9:19 AM (edited)
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Posted by topdogggbm on 8/16/2018 9:24:00 PM (view original):
Posted by Benis on 8/16/2018 3:47:00 PM (view original):
Posted by topdogggbm on 8/15/2018 9:41:00 PM (view original):
Posted by Benis on 8/15/2018 9:11:00 PM (view original):
Posted by topdogggbm on 8/15/2018 9:05:00 PM (view original):
Posted by Benis on 8/15/2018 12:57:00 PM (view original):
Posted by hulnder on 8/15/2018 12:29:00 PM (view original):
Posted by topdogggbm on 8/15/2018 4:23:00 AM (view original):
I have question that could have an impact on these rolls...

preferences... are they factored in to the percentages? Or are they factored in at the decision time?

Team A puts in 1000 points worth of effort and has all very bad preferences

Team B puts in 500 points worth of effort and has all very good preferences

is that a 67/33 split (1000/500) and THEN the recruit makes a decision, factoring in the preferences after the fact?

or is that more like a 60/40 or 55/45 possibility? Because the preferences are factored in from the beginning, and give somewhat of an overall boost to Team B because of the preference advantage, and then the decision is made by the recruit?
The bigger question is why would a kid even consider a school if all his preferences are bad? No matter who many attention points you dump on him, he shouldn't even be considering you IMO.
Let's say your preferences are

- wants rebuild
- perimeter offense
- motion offense
- press defense

Coach Cal and Kentucky come calling while running a LP focused offense in Flex/M2M, are you going to turn them down to go play at Maine Presque Island because their preferences match?
To me.... this answer is yes honestly.

I think the "rebuild" preference is goofy somewhat. But if I want to play for a rebuild, I don't wanna go to UK. Specifically. Because I want to play for a turd apparently. If I wanted to go to UK and play for a title, and a dominant historical team, my preference would say that I want success.

But I don't wanna play for a successful team. I'd prefer to play for Toilet Bowl U.

But I don't think "rebuild" should be a preference we see more that 10 out of 1000 recruits. Because that's not a realistic thing that kids want very often.
They're called preferences for a reason. It's not a requirement.
That's fair. But I just think if rebuild was a person's preference, that says a lot about the mindset or the intentions of a recruit. If he prefers to play for a school that's rebuilding (in comparison to just flat out being open to anything), he doesn't want to play for a winner.

At least that's the way i interpret it. Reading between the lines. If he was open to playing for a winner, there would be no preference.

But this is all based on mindset. Not actually the way this game is played
Its just one preference amongst many that a person may have. But its a soft point not a firm restriction.

Lets say I ask you what you want for dinner and you say you're in the mood for Mexican and taco bell sounds good. Then a friend calls you and says he will take you to Jeff Ruby Steakhouse and its his treat.

Most sane people will choose the $80 free steak dinner over Taco Bell even though TBell was your initial preference.

If you're vegan then you will turn down the steak outright. Because thats a hard point restriction, not just a preference.
I guess it depends who you are.... if I say I want mexican and I want taco bell, that's what I want. I'm fully aware that steak is out there. And it's an option to begin with. I wasn't completely oblivious to the fact that steak exists on earth. I just didn't want it.

Whether my friend buys, or I buy, is irrelevant. If I want Mexican, I don't want it ONLY if steak isn't available. If I want rebuild, I don't want it ONLY if success isn't available. I had all those choices to begin with.

but that's just me!
I would say you are FAR more resolute than most 17 year olds.
8/19/2018 10:26 AM
Hey, some 17 year olds can be stubborn. Then again, so can some 37 year olds!
8/19/2018 1:00 PM
Posted by shoe3 on 8/19/2018 9:19:00 AM (view original):
Posted by Benis on 8/19/2018 8:51:00 AM (view original):
...Or... as a B level team chasing a top 5 overall in the country player, with a late signing preference, he should have understood that it was *very likely* that a higher prestige team was going to make a late run - possibly with funds from an early entry - and adjusted his expectations accordingly. B prestige reaching up that high is a huge risk. Risks have consequences.

Or to use the stupid analogy somebody else brought up earlier, that friend offering a trip to Jeff Ruby Steakhouse called. It was a tough call, because the #4 overall recruit in the country had been thinking Taco Bell all day for some reason. But better reason took hold, and he went with the wagyu and truffles instead.
Is there any way I can agree with shoe while disagreeing with Spud at the same time?
8/19/2018 3:29 PM
Posted by topdogggbm on 8/19/2018 1:00:00 PM (view original):
You are definitely more resolute in your preferences than I am!

Last food analogy thing.. Every morning before I leave for work I decide whether I want to bring my lunch or whether I want to go out to lunch. I always make a PB&J when I decide to bring my lunch.

Sometimes someone will ask if I want to go to LaRosa's or something else that's mediocre and I will say "nah, I have this delicious PB&J calling my name".

However, sometimes someone will ask if I want to go get Wings & Rings or something else that's delicious (maybe it's Taco Bell!) and I say "to hell with my ****** PB&J, that sounds way better".

My preference in the morning was to eat a PB&J for lunch. But by lunch time, something better popped up and I chose to do that instead.
8/19/2018 4:47 PM
Posted by Benis on 8/19/2018 4:47:00 PM (view original):
Posted by topdogggbm on 8/19/2018 1:00:00 PM (view original):
You are definitely more resolute in your preferences than I am!

Last food analogy thing.. Every morning before I leave for work I decide whether I want to bring my lunch or whether I want to go out to lunch. I always make a PB&J when I decide to bring my lunch.

Sometimes someone will ask if I want to go to LaRosa's or something else that's mediocre and I will say "nah, I have this delicious PB&J calling my name".

However, sometimes someone will ask if I want to go get Wings & Rings or something else that's delicious (maybe it's Taco Bell!) and I say "to hell with my ****** PB&J, that sounds way better".

My preference in the morning was to eat a PB&J for lunch. But by lunch time, something better popped up and I chose to do that instead.
Right, but recruiting preferences don't change. If A+ D1 school throws effort, the preference still says rebuild. So if Duke starts off, sure I'd consider. But when Toilet Bowl U comes calling with equal effort, i'm jumping in the toilet immediately. Because for some strange reason, that's what I wanted.

I understand both sides of our discussion. I really do. But my point is, these players know that success schools are out there from the get go. Just like you know steak is out there all the time. But if you wanted steak today, you wouldn't pack a PB&J.

The players that I feel like you are defending, are the ones that don't have a preference for success. You're argument is exactly right for those players.

If you packed a PB&J, and you're open to steak, then you really don't prefer PB&J. You just packed it because a man's gotta eat something to survive.
8/19/2018 7:10 PM
◂ Prev 12345 Next ▸
Lost 4 flips in a row while up 70-30. Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.