Does anyone actually use them? My first D-2 season I used some to secure some recruits thinking it was just part of the game, only to be slapped with an investigation by the NCAA. I didn't realize it was that realistic! I wont use them again. Does anyone actually use them?
9/13/2018 3:05 AM
If we do, we wouldn't tell you.
9/13/2018 8:54 AM
Oh damn, I didn't realize it was that much of a secret. I guess I outed myself as a 1 season cheater
9/13/2018 3:32 PM
Sometimes you get caught, sometimes you don't. My understanding is that if you use booster gifts and they're accepted, you will get an email saying the NCAA is investigating. After that, you'll get an update and it'll say either they found no rules infractions or you'll get one that has the player suspended part of the season and program likely put on probation. I can't remember what the consequences are...possibly post season ban...maybe loss of scholarship(s). But you keep the player.

I successfully used them once but it was around 2010 or so. They may have totally reconfigured that aspect of the game since.
9/13/2018 5:11 PM
Posted by bigpoppa85 on 9/13/2018 5:11:00 PM (view original):
Sometimes you get caught, sometimes you don't. My understanding is that if you use booster gifts and they're accepted, you will get an email saying the NCAA is investigating. After that, you'll get an update and it'll say either they found no rules infractions or you'll get one that has the player suspended part of the season and program likely put on probation. I can't remember what the consequences are...possibly post season ban...maybe loss of scholarship(s). But you keep the player.

I successfully used them once but it was around 2010 or so. They may have totally reconfigured that aspect of the game since.
That makes sense. I imagine they don't really get used heavily until you're up in the D-1 range though?
9/13/2018 10:19 PM
Posted by rhoneunited on 9/13/2018 10:19:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bigpoppa85 on 9/13/2018 5:11:00 PM (view original):

That makes sense. I imagine they don't really get used heavily until you're up in the D-1 range though?
I don’t have much D1 experience. But it is rare to see programs investigated as far as I know. I would say there’s a time and place for everything though.
9/14/2018 6:03 PM
I've never used booster gifts, because I've never felt they are worth the risk. But now that I think about it more, maybe it would be worth the risk with my Hawaii team in Heisman if I thought that would get the program over the top for just one NC. Ummmm, never mind. Maybe I shouldn't have said that.
9/14/2018 6:57 PM
Posted by bjschumacher on 9/14/2018 6:59:00 PM (view original):
I've never used booster gifts, because I've never felt they are worth the risk. But now that I think about it more, maybe it would be worth the risk with my Hawaii team in Heisman if I thought that would get the program over the top for just one NC. Ummmm, never mind. Maybe I shouldn't have said that.
I successfully used it a long time ago (2009 ish?) to land a STL high WE RB (back when it was a running only game). He was a STUD. He was the #1 RB in the country as a RS-Sophomore, and really tore the D2 world up. My Morehouse program was investigated but NCAA found nothing....needless to say, it was well worth it. I’ve only been in a situation one other time where I felt it was worth a risk. Offered gift, recruit declined, and there was no investigation...I also did not end up with recruit though.
9/15/2018 11:08 AM
Used to love to use them when I had the opportunity. I was investigated maybe 3 or 4 times after using them at least 2 dozen times, think I was only put on probation once. The player had to be a difference maker, not worth it if you could get another player just as good. And he had to have two "greedy" comments in his scouting report.

Haven't used them in a long time.
9/26/2018 3:10 AM
I offered the lowest form of booster gift to all of my recruits one season.

No one accepted. I was investigated four times. Got caught and players were suspended for three of the four seasons. Rep took a hit of a whole letter grade. It said I was on probation but there was no loss of bowl game or anything else.

What I was told was that they can investigate you every season that you have a player on your roster that you offered a gift to.
9/26/2018 2:05 PM

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.