Round 2 Themes, 2018 Topic

Will get to all of these tonight... on a flight with terrible wifi
9/24/2018 3:38 PM
Posted by schwarze on 9/21/2018 5:46:00 PM (view original):
I don't think in game play should ever be dictated. Set whatever roster rules you want but once we have our roster we should be able to use guys however we want. Also, too much of a headache to police.
I will post this again. I think you should modify the rules of this theme so no game play rules are dictated. I should be able to play anybody I want at any position I want. The WIS Championship is and always has been about roster construction, not about who I can start and at what positions.
9/24/2018 3:56 PM
Posted by redcped on 9/23/2018 9:08:00 AM (view original):
$130M - Does the "whose salaries are above 500k" apply only to the hitters, or also to the pitching staff?

$200M - Is SP/RP determined by how WIS lists them, regardless of IP or how you use them? For example, 88 Milacki counts as a SP only, but you can use him in the bullpen?
130M -- Both

200M -- WIS listings. You can use them however you want
9/25/2018 1:33 AM
Posted by discodemo on 9/22/2018 10:59:00 AM (view original):
90M question:

Does the player season you select have to correlate to the qualifying franchises? Taking your example of the 5 teams, let's say I want to select Joe Morgan. He played for the Giants and Astros, so he is eligible to be picked. But I want to use one of his Reds years. Is that allowed?
Only if the Reds are another one of your chosen franchises and you are using him to fill either the Reds/Astros or Reds/Giants roster spot. The cannot twist players to seasons of theirs when they were on teams you did not select.
9/25/2018 1:34 AM
Posted by brianjw on 9/22/2018 7:18:00 AM (view original):
Posted by rbow923 on 9/21/2018 6:12:00 PM (view original):
I use pinch hitters and pinch runners in DH leagues. One solution is to take DH's out of PH rotation and uncheck PH / PR for them. But only if everyone does it. I don't want to be the only one playing with that limitation.
I agree this needs to be made clearer. Which of these are allowed?

1. Platoon DHs
2. 3 DHs, a platoon plus pinch runner?
3. Platoon DHs but drafting 900 PA so they can also PH for C/SS?

I pretty much always do 1, and often 2 or 3 if the theme allows in DH leagues. Will these be legal strategies?
All three are legal strategies.

To clarify -- you are drafting players based on their primary positions. You can use them however you want. To avoid confusion (and simplify things for my sake), I am changing the DH rule to simply be that you must use players from any of your chosen years to act as your DH. Any years not chosen in the draft will simply go unused.
9/25/2018 1:51 AM
My travel schedule (surprise business trip to NYC) has put me a bit behind on doing the mock draft to confirm there are no competitive balance issues with this structure for the 200M league, but I will have time tomorrow night after work to do so. Appreciate the patience.
9/25/2018 2:04 AM (edited)
One thing I did have time for, though, was creating a roster checking tool for the 100M blacklist league.

To use the tool, paste your roster in Cell A1 of the designated sheet. Then, enter your stadium where it is listed. If your roster is legal, it will say so. If not, it will show you which players are illegal. The entire blacklist is also listed.

I would obviously recommend deleting your roster after using it, or just making a copy of the tool in the first place.
9/25/2018 11:39 AM (edited)
That blacklist is intimidating. Am I the only one who thinks this 100M league is the nefarious work of an evil genius? Talk about leaving your comfort zone ...
9/25/2018 10:22 AM
So for the 90m, let's say I pick Yankees, Mets, Giants, Dodgers, and I dunno, Rays.

If I use a Darryl Strawberry season on the Mets, and he played for the Dodgers/Giants/Yankees/Mets... I can use Straw as either a Met/Dodger, a Met/Yankee or a Met/Giant, right?

But conversely, I would assume, I can't draft a Straw season on the Mets and use him as a Giant/Dodger?
9/25/2018 10:28 AM
Posted by redcped on 9/25/2018 10:22:00 AM (view original):
That blacklist is intimidating. Am I the only one who thinks this 100M league is the nefarious work of an evil genius? Talk about leaving your comfort zone ...
If you think this is bad, you should have done "The Chain" last year. That thing was miserable to put together
9/25/2018 11:40 AM
Posted by jfranco77 on 9/25/2018 10:28:00 AM (view original):
So for the 90m, let's say I pick Yankees, Mets, Giants, Dodgers, and I dunno, Rays.

If I use a Darryl Strawberry season on the Mets, and he played for the Dodgers/Giants/Yankees/Mets... I can use Straw as either a Met/Dodger, a Met/Yankee or a Met/Giant, right?

But conversely, I would assume, I can't draft a Straw season on the Mets and use him as a Giant/Dodger?
Yep, exactly.
9/25/2018 11:42 AM
I spent a few hours going through a pseudo draft of sorts last night and now feel that, while not certain, it is possible for there to be competitive balance issues unless we play around with the order of the following rounds (even if we assume all drafting decisions will be rational). It's tough to gauge exactly what the right configuration would be, so we are going to replace this with my backup option for a draft league. I will post the new league tonight (it's arguably more fun anyway).

Thanks for those who made this callout (rbow923, mildnhazy, brianjw, schwarze, etc.).

I still think this would be a fun theme and will run it sometime in the next few months, but maybe not for Round 2 of the WISC due to the uncertainty.
9/26/2018 3:50 PM (edited)
I just posted the new draft theme on page 1.
9/27/2018 2:41 AM (edited)
Love the new theme.
9/27/2018 3:44 PM
For the 90 mil theme - using Harry Brecheen as an example - we can only use him if we select both the St. Louis Cardinals and St. Louis Browns as two of our 5 franchises?.....also, are the Browns considered the Orioles for the purpose of this theme?
9/27/2018 11:01 PM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4|5|6...10 Next ▸
Round 2 Themes, 2018 Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.