Round 2 Themes, 2018 Topic

Posted by rbow923 on 9/21/2018 2:23:00 PM (view original):
$200M. Just to be clear, we draft players at their primary position designated by WiS but can use them any way we want? except for DH.
We don't have complete control over how Sparky uses the bench and this could result in some DH rule violations.,
The DH rule is only for the player who starts the game, because of potential incidental violations otherwise. There's an expectation of best effort to ensure the DH rule is respected later in games as well but I won't enforce forfeits unless it's clear the owner is trying to get around the rule.

As for player use, I realize my wording left things ambiguous. Let me adjust in a bit.
9/21/2018 4:08 PM
100% agree in the problem of the 200M draft. First thing I thought of when I read the description. Picking in the bottom 10 or so of the first round is going to be very unfair.
9/21/2018 4:13 PM
I'm clearly not one of the better owners, but what makes picking in the bottom of the first round unfair? The "worse" owners will be picking at the top - maybe they make poor choices. Plus, whichever position group they go for, the better owners will have their pick of prime years for other positional groups. Given quality of competition, and how strong the top 10-12 owners are likely to be, I think the advantage to picking early in the first round is a bit overstated.
9/21/2018 4:39 PM
Posted by ozomatli on 9/21/2018 4:08:00 PM (view original):
$200M. Just to be clear, we draft players at their primary position designated by WiS but can use them any way we want? except for DH.
We don't have complete control over how Sparky uses the bench and this could result in some DH rule violations.,
The DH rule is only for the player who starts the game, because of potential incidental violations otherwise. There's an expectation of best effort to ensure the DH rule is respected later in games as well but I won't enforce forfeits unless it's clear the owner is trying to get around the rule.

As for player use, I realize my wording left things ambiguous. Let me adjust in a bit.
Makes sense so far. What about pinch hitting? There's no way to designate the DH only pinch hit for DH, and vice versa. is using pinch hitters ok or against the spirit of the rules?
9/21/2018 4:59 PM (edited)
Posted by Jtpsops on 9/21/2018 4:39:00 PM (view original):
I'm clearly not one of the better owners, but what makes picking in the bottom of the first round unfair? The "worse" owners will be picking at the top - maybe they make poor choices. Plus, whichever position group they go for, the better owners will have their pick of prime years for other positional groups. Given quality of competition, and how strong the top 10-12 owners are likely to be, I think the advantage to picking early in the first round is a bit overstated.
I would imagine a legitimate concern could be that "all" the "good" years of, say, deadball SP could be gone in the first 20 picks. I mean, if your entire rotation has to come from a year, that does tend to restrict options. Is there enough advantage in picking your infield season to make up for what you miss out on? I haven't looked closely, nor am I anything close to assured even being in the second round, but I also trust that ozo has thought this through to keep it fair.
9/21/2018 4:51 PM
Posted by rbow923 on 9/21/2018 4:59:00 PM (view original):
Posted by ozomatli on 9/21/2018 4:08:00 PM (view original):

Makes sense so far. What about pinch hitting? There's no way to designate the DH only pinch hit for DH, and vice versa. is using pinch hitters ok or against the spirit of the rules?
Yeah, that's essentially what I meant by an expectation of best effort. Pinch hitters are fine in general but don't set it in a way to try to get around the rules. I also wouldn't expect the DH to be the guy who gets pinch hit for very frequently. For me, personally, I typically don't do any pinch hitting in DH leagues.
9/21/2018 5:01 PM
Posted by mildnhazy on 9/21/2018 4:13:00 PM (view original):
100% agree in the problem of the 200M draft. First thing I thought of when I read the description. Picking in the bottom 10 or so of the first round is going to be very unfair.
Worst case scenario, I have a few other good draft themes in my back pocket that I was debating between. I'll follow up at the end of the weekend with what I find in doing the full mock draft.
9/21/2018 5:02 PM
I don't think in game play should ever be dictated. Set whatever roster rules you want but once we have our roster we should be able to use guys however we want. Also, too much of a headache to police.
9/21/2018 5:45 PM
I use pinch hitters and pinch runners in DH leagues. One solution is to take DH's out of PH rotation and uncheck PH / PR for them. But only if everyone does it. I don't want to be the only one playing with that limitation.
9/21/2018 6:12 PM (edited)
I hope I'm in the top ten. If so, hell, I won't give a $h!t who people pick. I'll build a good team. I doubt I will be but I wouldn't care. I think it's a good theme.
9/22/2018 2:00 AM
Posted by rbow923 on 9/21/2018 6:12:00 PM (view original):
I use pinch hitters and pinch runners in DH leagues. One solution is to take DH's out of PH rotation and uncheck PH / PR for them. But only if everyone does it. I don't want to be the only one playing with that limitation.
I agree this needs to be made clearer. Which of these are allowed?

1. Platoon DHs
2. 3 DHs, a platoon plus pinch runner?
3. Platoon DHs but drafting 900 PA so they can also PH for C/SS?

I pretty much always do 1, and often 2 or 3 if the theme allows in DH leagues. Will these be legal strategies?
9/22/2018 7:18 AM
90M question:

Does the player season you select have to correlate to the qualifying franchises? Taking your example of the 5 teams, let's say I want to select Joe Morgan. He played for the Giants and Astros, so he is eligible to be picked. But I want to use one of his Reds years. Is that allowed?
9/22/2018 10:59 AM
Posted by brianjw on 9/22/2018 7:18:00 AM (view original):
Posted by rbow923 on 9/21/2018 6:12:00 PM (view original):
I agree this needs to be made clearer. Which of these are allowed?

1. Platoon DHs
2. 3 DHs, a platoon plus pinch runner?
3. Platoon DHs but drafting 900 PA so they can also PH for C/SS?

I pretty much always do 1, and often 2 or 3 if the theme allows in DH leagues. Will these be legal strategies?
I was thinking more of the usual mishmash
4. Use the whole bench, both DH and position players. It's not possible to designate who they can replace, otherwise I would.
9/22/2018 11:36 AM (edited)
$130M - Does the "whose salaries are above 500k" apply only to the hitters, or also to the pitching staff?

$200M - Is SP/RP determined by how WIS lists them, regardless of IP or how you use them? For example, 88 Milacki counts as a SP only, but you can use him in the bullpen?
9/23/2018 9:08 AM
You should add this link to the Pentagon page:

https://www.baseball-reference.com/friv/multifranchise.cgi
9/24/2018 2:23 PM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4|5...10 Next ▸
Round 2 Themes, 2018 Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.