safety position by depth chart Topic

is it:

1. Free safety
2. Strong safety

or

1. strong safety
2. free safety
10/2/2018 12:07 PM
It doesn't matter. Safety defense against defense is zone, so the group is considered as a whole.

James
10/2/2018 12:49 PM
Thanks, James. So in yatzr's game analyzer when the coverage player comes up FS or SS do you think it's just randomly selected?
10/22/2018 10:31 AM
Posted by rdierkers on 10/22/2018 10:31:00 AM (view original):
Thanks, James. So in yatzr's game analyzer when the coverage player comes up FS or SS do you think it's just randomly selected?
I thought it was 1-FS and 2-SS. But you can find out for sure if you blitz a safety (before fatigue sets in).
10/22/2018 11:01 AM
The tackle or pass defender is randomly assigned within all defensive groups. So, if you are defending the deep pass to a WR, then the output on the play by play is randomly assigned to FS/SS. If a player breaks through the primary defensive group, the next closest group gets credit for the tackle (if made) and also randomly assigned.

This is why sometimes you will see a deep pass receiver sometimes tackled by a LB (or defended by a LB), since the LB group is the next closest group if WR are on short routes (thereby making the CB stay close to the line of scrimmage).

You should note I used the term "defensive groups". The random assignment of the tackle for example on an inside run is assigned to the defending group defending that play (which includes DL/ILB).

There are some threads on the assignment of sacks that is interesting if you want to pump up a players sack total if that twirls your ponytail FYI.

nitros (james)
10/22/2018 11:14 AM
Nitros is a beast at this game.
10/22/2018 1:13 PM

I thought it was 1-FS and 2-SS. But you can find out for sure if you blitz a safety (before fatigue sets in).

Darn great point bigpoppa. Assignment of FS/SS does matter if you are assigning blitzing players. Probably more so, it matters who the remaining defender is SS/FS for the deep zone.

Which makes me think of an interesting way to cover a RB/TE that is killing you in the short/med zone.

nitros (James)

10/22/2018 1:29 PM
safety position by depth chart Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.