Rule V Leg #61 Draft Thread Topic

Padres
10/9/2018 9:17 AM
Alignment options:

If we leave the Astros in the AL West, only makes sense to shift Rays into the NL Central like the last time and move two teams in NL Central to the NL West (Brewers, Reds based on previous alignments).

Alternatively, if we shift Astros back into the NL West, then we could move the Rays into the AL Central and shift the Twins? into the AL West and only have to move 1 team from the NL Central to the West (again one of Reds or Brewers).
10/9/2018 9:57 AM
Geographically the Jays make some sense in the AL Central. Could move the Astros and Reds to the NL West (historical affiliation) and move the Royals to the AL West.

edit: Or get Real Weird and try to go as geographically proximate as possible. Something like:
Mariners/As/Padres/Dodgers
Pirates/Jays/Tigers/Indians
Mets/Yanks/Sox/Os
Astros/Rangers/Royals/Reds
Brewers/Cubs/Cards/Twins
Marlins/Rays/Braves/Nats
10/9/2018 10:11 AM (edited)
I think the "easiest" route is to move the Reds to the West for historical alignment reasons, and then also toss the Rays into the NL West since they have historically been a floater for us. That minimizes the amount of shifting that needs to be done to just those two teams and everyone else stays put. So it'd be:

Red Sox / Yankees / Jays / O's
Indians / Twins / Tigers / Royals
Astros / A's / Mariners / Rangers

Braves / ExpoNats / Mets / Marlins
Brewers / Cubs / Cards / Pirates
Dodgers / Padres / Reds / Rays

Personally, I'd be down to try something weird like murph's strictly geographical divisions. I wouldn't be opposed to adjusting our division alignment rules writ large and this could be a chance to try out something new, but I get it if the group wants to stick closer to what we've done historically.
10/9/2018 10:42 AM
Going strictly by geography Kansas City is the 8th furthest west followed by Minneapolis. and Cleveland is further east than Atlanta. But none of that makes sense historically.
10/9/2018 11:01 AM
Here's my crack at alignment:

NL East: Mets, Braves, Marlins, Nats/Expos
NL Central: Cubs, Cardinals, Pirates, Brewers
NL West: Padres, Dodgers, Astros, Reds
AL East: Yankees, Red Sox, Orioles, Blue Jays
AL Central: Tigers, Indians, Twins, Rays
AL West: Royals, Mariners, A's, Rangers

Rationale: The Astros spent a long time in the old NL West, as did the Reds. The Rays are the farthest west of the AL East teams. The Royals are the farthest west of the AL Central teams, and also have a lot of history in the old AL West. Kind of a mix...more history in the NL, more geography in the AL.
10/9/2018 12:08 PM
How about putting the Rays in the AL Southeast, a division of one team, with the divisional champ making the playoffs?
10/9/2018 12:58 PM
Feels weird to have to break up Tigers/Royals/Twins/Cleveland but as long as my AL Central team doesn't get paired with the freaking Astros for a second leg in a row I guess I'll consider myself lucky. I think sinfonian's proposal is workable for a weird set of teams.

How do we stand on keepers?
10/9/2018 1:39 PM (edited)
I'm fine with sinfonian11's suggested alignment. I guess my Dodgers will have to get a wildcard spot.
10/9/2018 1:41 PM
Posted by schwarze on 10/9/2018 1:41:00 PM (view original):
I'm fine with sinfonian11's suggested alignment. I guess my Dodgers will have to get a wildcard spot.
No offense but we're talking about spoonfed and tridentric here
10/9/2018 1:51 PM
Posted by buddhagamer on 10/9/2018 1:51:00 PM (view original):
Posted by schwarze on 10/9/2018 1:41:00 PM (view original):
No offense but we're talking about spoonfed and tridentric here
Thanks Buddhagamer...I appreciate the nod to my ineptness...I would say I will make you eat those words, but I can face reality, I just hope to compete lol
10/9/2018 1:55 PM
pretty sure schwarze was talking about my Padres, come on now.
10/9/2018 2:00 PM
I really don't care what division my Royals are IN, as long as the're not in the NL?

Are we close to having to send are protected players in?
10/9/2018 6:22 PM (edited)
A lot of folks have already submitted their keepers. The sooner they all get in, the sooner we can get to drafting.
10/9/2018 6:36 PM
Posted by good_beef on 10/9/2018 6:22:00 PM (view original):
I really don't care what division my Royals are IN, as long as the're not in the NL?

Are we close to having to send are protected players in?
Send them ASAP, good_beef. I should get tridentric’s tomorrow. Then we’ll be ready for the first round.
10/9/2018 9:04 PM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4|5|6...19 Next ▸
Rule V Leg #61 Draft Thread Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.