Who should I start? Topic

I have two stud catchers, one will be starter and the other my DH. I have a top 5 type defense and mostly groundball pitchers. Who should I start? I normally like the higher Pitch Caller but his other defensive stats are a little bit of a liability.

Catcher 1:
Range 16
Glove 25
Arm Strength 77
Arm Accuracy 68
Pitch Calling 53

Catcher 2:
Range 3
Glove 21
Arm Strength 63
Arm Accuracy 58
Pitch Calling 71
10/13/2018 9:41 AM
A 53 PC is a little low for me. But if Catcher 1 has a much better bat, I might go with him.
10/13/2018 10:30 AM
If you have the time and energy:
C1 catches (and C2 DHs) vs. teams that run
C2 catches (and C1 DHs) vs. teams that don't run much or well

Also, they have 70 and 78 DUR, so you'll need to rest them some. You could rest them instead of playing them at DH-- or you could carry a defensive 3rd catcher, give him about 40-50 starts against teams that run well, and just use C2 as the primary defensive catcher.

10/13/2018 1:48 PM
Catcher 1 is substantially better than catcher 2
10/13/2018 2:42 PM
Thanks for the input
10/15/2018 7:59 AM
Pitch calling is #1 for me, then the catchers arm. Their stick comes last, especially if it's an AL team...
10/17/2018 9:49 AM
Too many people vastly underestimate the importance of arm strength and range/glove

Arm strength correlates directly to SB attempts against per game, in a directly linear relationship. Teams with bad catchers will always be at the bottom of this list. The lower this number, the more guys who can successfully test you by default, and the more bases you concede

Glove directly correlates with passed balls (which are tracked on the personal player card) and also wild pitches which are not tracked personally but are tracked for team. And errors of course

Range also correlates with wild pitches, and plus/minus plays

They definitely add up over time, and every advantage/disadvantage matters, no matter how small it seems. Championships are often decided by the slimmest of margins.

The overall impact of catcher 2's negative profile outweighs the 18 point difference in pitch calling. That one attribute is super important but it's not the end all be all. Those other attributes also make an impact on your overall expected runs against. Therefore, they can make the difference between winning and losing multiple games per season.
10/17/2018 5:07 PM (edited)
He needs to link the players and his team. There is more to it for me then what he posted for me to decide.
10/17/2018 6:00 PM
How come? He said they're "both stud hitters" (assuming both are 80-80-80-80 or whatever) where one is going to play C every day and one will play DH every day, so to me it was entirely a question of which guy should play which position.

What else is there to the decision besides the green attributes
10/17/2018 7:25 PM
First if he wants help then make it easier for the guys to help by linking the guys in question. What he thinks is a stud hitter could be a dud for me or you. I do not see there durability listed, how they bat, how they throw. Chit if his team was linked I might be able to say use one in rf and bench the other for his aaa guy. Or if there durabilty sucks or one only hits vl good platoon them. To many variables I cannot see on what he provided for me to give a good answer. Which one is better depends on his team as well in my opinion.
10/17/2018 7:51 PM
I am having issues inserting the players to the forum. I keep trying to add the player to the clipboard but when I paste to the forum it keeps putting a player profile for someone not on my team.
10/17/2018 8:49 PM
https://www.whatifsports.com/hbd/Pages/Popups/PlayerRatings.aspx?pid=8802595
https://www.whatifsports.com/hbd/Pages/Popups/PlayerRatings.aspx?pid=8591400
https://www.whatifsports.com/hbd/Pages/Popups/FranchiseRatings.aspx?fid=4293
Not sure if pasting web addresses works but here is a try.

10/17/2018 8:52 PM
Assuming the bats are equal, C1 looks like a league average catcher with weaker pitch calling. C2 is a poor catcher (lots of passed balls) with only decent pitch calling - 71 isn't great by any means, and 53 won't kill you. I've used a C with 47 Calling in a pitcher's park and he did fine.

10/17/2018 10:28 PM
Posted by yumen442 on 10/17/2018 8:49:00 PM (view original):
I am having issues inserting the players to the forum. I keep trying to add the player to the clipboard but when I paste to the forum it keeps putting a player profile for someone not on my team.
There's a separate clipboard for forum than for world chat. The little + next to their face is for pasting into WC. For forum, go to the last tab labelled "Share" and there is a link to save to forum clipboard
10/18/2018 9:47 AM
Thanks
10/18/2018 12:03 PM
Who should I start? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.