[CANCELED] Increasing Salary Draft, 2018 Topic

Posted by bothways on 11/11/2018 2:39:00 PM (view original):
Both of rbow923 and buddhagamer's ideas are good, and together they could work. Is it worth salvaging if the penalty points are reduced? Maybe just one point, so the earlier 15 point penalty is just 3 points, for example?
No rule changes in the middle it's not fair to those who played a solid strategy based on the original rules.
11/11/2018 3:10 PM
I’ll keep drafting my $120M team to the finish lol
11/11/2018 3:12 PM
Posted by ozomatli on 11/11/2018 2:07:00 PM (view original):
Ok, with some reticence, we’re going to cancel this. I’ll send out a sitemail and post a new theme tonight.

Thanks for bearing with me through this. This was not a guaranteed result but it was certainly, clearly, a possible result that we can no longer recover from.
I'm fine with this. It's always the commissioner's prerogative to do what has to be done, for the sake of the league. I don't think it should be kept as a seventh theme.

I do think that both deadlines should be pushed back.
11/11/2018 3:17 PM (edited)
Posted by ozomatli on 11/11/2018 2:40:00 PM (view original):
Posted by buddhagamer on 11/11/2018 2:19:00 PM (view original):
If you want an alternative to cancelling the whole damn thing ozo, just allow owners to pick any player they want that is remaining *AFTER* the draft is over with no penalty.
That would open up a whole other can of worms with regard to fair play and the purpose of the theme.

We’re going to cancel.
That's your call but I would suggest that you ask the owners to see if they're still interested in completing this draft as is as an extra theme since a lot of owners have already invested quite a bit of effort/research (you would have to figure out how we can fill in our rosters at the end though...). Hell you could even offer bonus playoff points for this theme (just no penalties).
11/11/2018 3:27 PM (edited)
As much as I want to play this theme out I would rather wait until after the deadline to finish the draft as it's too intensive to do along side of the other themes, and there's the potential for this draft to impact (I believe) at least one other theme in the finals.
11/11/2018 3:35 PM
There will be no bonus points for completing this league. We may do so after round 2 has begun.

Again, I will be sending out a sitemail tonight with all relevant details.
11/11/2018 3:39 PM
I think this theme could of worked, it we didn't allow in-draft trades (at least we could plan and if we got into trouble that's your own damn fault) or at least had some type of buffer (ex. no trades within 4 rounds of the present round) but in instances where you had a plan, went out in RL and away from the PC and came back only to find 3 of your rivals traded in front of you thus forcing you to accelerate your salary is kind of stupid.
11/11/2018 3:43 PM (edited)
Posted by buddhagamer on 11/11/2018 3:09:00 PM (view original):
Anyway, I'm willing to abide with whatever ozomatli decides is in the best interest for everyone involved including continuing this draft and playing it as an "extra" to the WISC if everyone is willing (ponying up for 7 teams instead of 6).
How are you going to do that fairly if penalty points no longer apply?
11/11/2018 4:43 PM
To answer the above question, if no one backs out of continuing this as an entirely separate league, penalty points would still impact playoff eligibility (they just wouldn't actually cause a WISC penalty).
11/11/2018 11:46 PM
Umm 1993 Tony Phillips $7,407,357 if this does get going again, lol
11/12/2018 2:01 AM
Posted by ozomatli on 11/11/2018 11:46:00 PM (view original):
To answer the above question, if no one backs out of continuing this as an entirely separate league, penalty points would still impact playoff eligibility (they just wouldn't actually cause a WISC penalty).
I'd continue my team with that approach. In which case...

1985 Pedro Guerrero $6,652,675
11/12/2018 6:31 AM
Posted by ozomatli on 11/11/2018 11:46:00 PM (view original):
ah, ok.
11/12/2018 7:35 AM
I think we should pause picks until everyone has confirmed their interest in continuing.
11/12/2018 9:00 AM
I would continue, though I will clearly need a bunch of penalty points to fill out my remaining hitter slots.

I do apologize for whatever role I played in making the debacle worse. I made 2 mistakes, one strategic and one tactical.

The strategic mistake was not realizing that rounds 5-15 would be basically all hitters, and we'd have a mad scramble to draft every single eligible hitter before the draft was halfway over. My plan was to mix a whole bunch of hitters and pitchers in the 7-9mil range. My assumption that other drafters would also mix their pitchers and hitters together was quite flawed.

The tactical mistake I made was taking Jack Clements instead of a full-time catcher. I knew the catcher cliff was coming. I thought I could still get a 2nd catcher for a reasonable price, but I was wrong. That forced me to jump higher than I wanted to snag Boudreau.
11/12/2018 9:35 AM
This draft gives me a headache. With the impending clusterf___ of penalty points, I have no interest in going forward for "fun". I've got better things to do with the holiday season approaching. Sorry guys, but I am out of this draft. I feel better already.
11/12/2018 9:54 AM
◂ Prev 1...53|54|55|56 Next ▸
[CANCELED] Increasing Salary Draft, 2018 Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.