Posted by wylie715 on 4/29/2019 1:46:00 PM (view original):
Posted by gomiami1972 on 4/27/2019 10:57:00 PM (view original):
To honor the troll, I have come up with a Top 10 1970s soft rock list. I tried to make a distinction between soft rock and the adult contemporary sound so prominent in groups like America, Bread, The Carpenters, Firefall, etc., although the later into the decade you go, the more they start sounding the same.

On a morning from a Bogart mo-vie, in a country where they turn back time...

10. Rikki Don’t Lose that Number – Steely Dan
9. Love is Alive – Gary Wright
8. Miracles – Jefferson Starship

You go strolling through the crowd, like...Pe-ter Lor-re, contemplating a crime...

7. Right Down the Line – Gerry Rafferty
6. You Make Loving Fun – Fleetwood Mac
5. Beginnings (album version) – Chicago

She comes out of the sun in a silk dress run-ning like a watercolor...in the rain...

4. Peg – Steely Dan
3. One of These Nights – The Eagles
2. Night Moves – Bob Seger

Don’t bother ask-ing for...explanations, she’ll just tell you that she came...in the...
1. Year of the Cat - Al Stewart

just out of curiosity, what is the difference between soft rock and adult contemporary? I have no idea.
When you ask a music major this kind of question, you must expect some sort of technical answer. So, sorry in advance, lol.

OK. My answer is probably a little different than what wikipedia or some other Internet source may say. Popular music is based on a formula. Whether it is 40s standards, 50s easy listening, 60s pop (which is simply short for popular,) 70s adult contemporary, 80s dance, the structure of the music is substantially the same. Rock started off as a type of popular music but began to differentiate in the late 60 from pop until they became opposed to each other for a time. Rock was the 'alternative' to pop music.

Popular music uses a structure that can be oversimplified as follows - opening, verse, chorus (introducing elements of the hook,) verse, chorus, bridge, reprise verse or chorus, looped hook as a closing until fade-out. It sells time and time again and is still used today. Rock started to move away from this. Masters of rock, like The Beatles, laugh at the formula. While their early stuff is clearly popular music, songs like 'Happiness is a Warm Gun' has four distinct, unrelated verses and then finally introduces the chorus, bridge, reprise chorus and a relatively abrupt ending without a hook.

By the time the 70s came around, rock had splintered into those wanting to keep pushing the envelope into progressive, heavy metal, etc. and others who wanted to keep rock melodic but still contrary to the pop music formula, hence the birth of soft rock. Most of the songs on my list are true soft rock. Year of the Cat starts off with an opening, chorus, sung verse, chorus, sung verse, chorus, awesome instrumental variation verse, even more awesome instrumental bridge, another instrumental variation verse, sung verse, reprise chorus and a no-hook closing to fade-out. Incredible.

Most of the others deviate from the formula in some way - Beginnings and Miracles by a lot, Rikki, Peg, Night Moves, Love is Alive and Right Down the Line more subtly. Technically, One of these Nights follows the pop formula but is done so well and the Eagles as a whole are not a formula band, I included it.

I hope that made sense.
4/29/2019 11:09 PM (edited)
well then

what is the hook
4/29/2019 11:34 PM
Posted by bagchucker on 4/29/2019 11:35:00 PM (view original):
well then

what is the hook
I assume you are being sarcastic but just in case it was a real question...

Burt Bacharach's (Dionne Warwick) Walk On By is a classic formula song with a standard hook at the end. Some artists turn the hook into a variation of the main theme, like be The Carpenters Close To You or The Beatles Hello, Goodbye.
4/30/2019 10:13 AM
i never knew i could do it but im reading music.
4/30/2019 10:27 AM
Posted by gomiami1972 on 4/29/2019 11:09:00 PM (view original):
To honor the troll, I have come up with a Top 10 1970s soft rock list. I tried to make a distinction between soft rock and the adult contemporary sound so prominent in groups like America, Bread, The Carpenters, Firefall, etc., although the later into the decade you go, the more they start sounding the same.

You go strolling through the crowd, like...Pe-ter Lor-re, contemplating a crime...

She comes out of the sun in a silk dress run-ning like a watercolor...in the rain...

4. Peg – Steely Dan

Don’t bother ask-ing for...explanations, she’ll just tell you that she came...in the...

just out of curiosity, what is the difference between soft rock and adult contemporary? I have no idea.
When you ask a music major this kind of question, you must expect some sort of technical answer. So, sorry in advance, lol.

OK. My answer is probably a little different than what wikipedia or some other Internet source may say. Popular music is based on a formula. Whether it is 40s standards, 50s easy listening, 60s pop (which is simply short for popular,) 70s adult contemporary, 80s dance, the structure of the music is substantially the same. Rock started off as a type of popular music but began to differentiate in the late 60 from pop until they became opposed to each other for a time. Rock was the 'alternative' to pop music.

Popular music uses a structure that can be oversimplified as follows - opening, verse, chorus (introducing elements of the hook,) verse, chorus, bridge, reprise verse or chorus, looped hook as a closing until fade-out. It sells time and time again and is still used today. Rock started to move away from this. Masters of rock, like The Beatles, laugh at the formula. While their early stuff is clearly popular music, songs like 'Happiness is a Warm Gun' has four distinct, unrelated verses and then finally introduces the chorus, bridge, reprise chorus and a relatively abrupt ending without a hook.

By the time the 70s came around, rock had splintered into those wanting to keep pushing the envelope into progressive, heavy metal, etc. and others who wanted to keep rock melodic but still contrary to the pop music formula, hence the birth of soft rock. Most of the songs on my list are true soft rock. Year of the Cat starts off with an opening, chorus, sung verse, chorus, sung verse, chorus, awesome instrumental variation verse, even more awesome instrumental bridge, another instrumental variation verse, sung verse, reprise chorus and a no-hook closing to fade-out. Incredible.

Most of the others deviate from the formula in some way - Beginnings and Miracles by a lot, Rikki, Peg, Night Moves, Love is Alive and Right Down the Line more subtly. Technically, One of these Nights follows the pop formula but is done so well and the Eagles as a whole are not a formula band, I included it.

I hope that made sense.
didn't know you were a music major! I have a question for you. Just want your opinion. I used to have this argument with my father (when he was still alive. Not so often since he passed). My contention was that since there a limited number of musical notes, there can only be so many chords and thos notes can only be arranged in so many different ways. So, I told my dad that I felt that every combination had already been used, and the only thing that made songs different was tempo, beat, lyrics...that kind of thing. Thoughts? Anyone can chime in. Not just gomiami.
4/30/2019 1:12 PM
today's greatest movie of all time

SOLDIER IN THE RAIN
music by henry mancini
comedy / drama buddy movie - steve mcqueen & jackie gleason with tuesday weld.
you will never forget this movie.
5 star general
5/1/2019 11:25 PM
Posted by wylie715 on 4/30/2019 1:12:00 PM (view original):

4. Peg – Steely Dan

I hope that made sense.
didn't know you were a music major! I have a question for you. Just want your opinion. I used to have this argument with my father (when he was still alive. Not so often since he passed). My contention was that since there a limited number of musical notes, there can only be so many chords and thos notes can only be arranged in so many different ways. So, I told my dad that I felt that every combination had already been used, and the only thing that made songs different was tempo, beat, lyrics...that kind of thing. Thoughts? Anyone can chime in. Not just gomiami.
I have an answer, wylie...I'm just trying to figure out how I want to phrase it. Answers to good questions should involve some thought.
5/1/2019 11:41 PM
Posted by dino27 on 5/1/2019 11:25:00 PM (view original):
today's greatest movie of all time

SOLDIER IN THE RAIN
music by henry mancini
comedy / drama buddy movie - steve mcqueen & jackie gleason with tuesday weld.
you will never forget this movie.
5 star general
lol, my favorite Mancini movie score is The Pink Panther.

My favorite movie score of all time is probably Lawrence of Arabia.
5/1/2019 11:48 PM
Posted by gomiami1972 on 5/1/2019 11:41:00 PM (view original):

4. Peg – Steely Dan

I hope that made sense.
I have an answer, wylie...I'm just trying to figure out how I want to phrase it. Answers to good questions should involve some thought.
that was a good question?
5/1/2019 11:50 PM
Posted by wylie715 on 5/1/2019 11:50:00 PM (view original):
Posted by gomiami1972 on 5/1/2019 11:41:00 PM (view original):

4. Peg – Steely Dan

I hope that made sense.
that was a good question?
Yes, a very good one...one I heard discussed at the Conservatory a few times back in the day. Good questions don't have a readily apparent answer and make you think.
5/1/2019 11:57 PM
no 2 faces are the same or fingerprints
or snowflakes ( dont get me started )
5/2/2019 12:08 AM
Posted by dino27 on 5/2/2019 12:09:00 AM (view original):
no 2 faces are the same or fingerprints
or snowflakes ( dont get me started )
?
5/2/2019 8:27 AM
So, every musical plagiarism lawsuit should be thrown out?
5/2/2019 8:30 AM
That case against george harrison was ridiculous...i cant believe they won....
5/2/2019 12:05 PM
Posted by bronxcheer on 5/2/2019 8:30:00 AM (view original):
So, every musical plagiarism lawsuit should be thrown out?
probably. Can't tell you how many times I've heard a song and thought "that sounds like...."
5/2/2019 1:14 PM
◂ Prev 1...54|55|56|57|58...83 Next ▸

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.