Just wanted to take a moment to say goodbye for a bit. I am stepping away from GD and going to pickup HD for a while. I still think this is the best college football sim on the market and I have really enjoyed my time with the game. I have some ideas (which I outline below) to the extent anyone cares to pick those up.

A particular thanks to various coaches that I have enjoyed playing against:

panthsho - a Wilk icon and a great conference-mate. I was so, so very happy to see him knock off jddriscoll and win his first NC in Wilk recently.
1lanceman - I think he realizes he is not the best coach in GD, but he is a gamer and sticks with it. A long-standing conference mate that is always "up" and never a downer.
cjsweat/husker/truedevil/chetty - Content, content...they kept me in the game. Also, to the other content contributers in Wilk...thank you for keeping my interest.
pete - for teaching me how to recruit
lyonzfan - for mentoring me and teaching me how to be a winning coach. He originated the ISO gameplan...I just tweaked it and passed it along

For other coaches that I have not mentioned, I have enjoyed most everyone in the game.

Why I am leaving:

1. Frankly, I am bored. I believe I understand the engine to a point where I can replicate success at most every level except Div 1 and the fascination has worn off.
2. There are some frustrating, little changes that I would hope could be fixed...maybe they will in the future.
3. I want to dedicate my attention to a different sim challenge. HD is the target right now.

Things I would change:

1. FIQ in relation to INT's for QB. Fumbles and INT's are out of whack.
2. More information from the PBP. The things some coaches understand about the engine are critical to overall success. A regular coach should be able to learn these things from the PBP. They cannot right now...or not very easily I should add.
3. Make a better recruiting interface that shows information like YATZR. I would not touch recruiting, it is really good IMO. But, the effort to recruit is way too time consuming IMO.

All of that being said, it is still a really enjoyable game and I hope everyone gets as much enjoyment from it as I have over the years. I suspect I will be back, but need to go try something different for a bit.

On a side note, I am probably more proud of my mentoring than I am of any person success as a coach. I hope that I helped a few coaches get over the hump or at least given them good ideas. I also must end with commending lyonzfan for his mentorship of me and taking the time.

Thanks owners, staff of the game and coaches.

nitros (James)

P.S. I am running out my final season in Wilk kinda on auto-pilot.
10/30/2018 3:58 PM
Be well and have a good life !
10/30/2018 5:20 PM
Hope to see you back soon
10/30/2018 6:02 PM
Best of luck in HD. I wish you the best. Hopefully, you will return one day to find an improved and challenging product.
10/30/2018 6:33 PM
Nitros, you can't leave Wilk, buddy! I still owe you for tearing my heart out in that NC game many moons ago, where you came from 21 down to beat me, lol.
10/31/2018 12:12 PM
thanks for all your input, nitros.
11/2/2018 11:41 AM
Thanks for all your high-quality contributions to these forums nitros. All the best.
11/2/2018 12:32 PM
It has been great playing against you in Warner, hope to see you back soon.
11/3/2018 8:26 AM
Nitros, I gotta say.. I was hoping you would still be around when I got FIU to winning. Well, it makes the path a little easier. Not sure when this team will be ready, but the grind is on.

I appreciate your approach, a coach with plenty of titles, with no ego, and knows what he's talking about. When you had something to say, I was listening.

I hope you make your way back to Wilk at some point. Until then, good luck in HD. Nothing but respect.
11/14/2018 10:04 PM
Nitros
Thank you for all your mentoring and helping me learn the game! I never would have won a National Championship without your mentoring!! I dropped out a while ago but I still hang around the message boards waiting for some changes!! Best of luck to you in HD!!
Coachoatie (Bradley)
11/15/2018 3:50 PM

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.