Random Stupid things about HD Topic

I strongly feel that it is STUPID that Five Star Recruits have any playing preference other then WANTS TO PLAY!
11/12/2018 8:44 AM
Even more to the point, what player doesn't want to play?
11/12/2018 9:52 AM
"Coach, let me sit out this rotation. I'll help you diagram some plays, keep some stats and maybe fill a couple of water buckets.Getting into the game has never been that important to me".
11/12/2018 10:57 AM
Yeah, the preferences are by and large a great and necessary gameplay addition, but they should be more intelligent. I agree with seble that there should be some exceptions and surprises, but 3-5 star recruits should *mostly* want playing time, want success, want strong conference, and should want to sign late; very few should want rebuild, or care about distance or offensive/defensive sets, or sign before EEs are announced, and before affected teams have the resources to extend decent effort toward them. He made some tweaks, so it’s better than it was in beta (when a 5 star recruit was just as likely to want a rebuild as wanting success). But it’s still a bit off, IMO.

I’d also just get rid of wants rebuild. It’s poorly worded and poorly executed, and causes confusion. Those players want to be the focus of a team - they want playing time promises. It should be like strong conference or long time coach, they either give an extra boost to recent success, or they don’t care.
11/12/2018 11:02 AM
I think of wants to play as an unusually high level of the preference that every kid has
11/12/2018 11:37 AM
I love the title! As far as what's being discussed, I agree with most. But why should they all have late signing preference? Some kids know they want to go to "X University" when they're still in high school. Not that they can't be persuaded. But I think early signing is just fine.
11/12/2018 12:00 PM
And I'll add that I hate the stupid foul outs in under 10 minutes. That's always goofy.

Another one is offering a start and 25 minutes to an ineligible to get a high "very good" preference at D1 or D2. When the kid knows damn well he ain't playing this season. But at least he feels better knowing that if he woulda hit the books, he COULD'VE been a big part of this season's plans!
11/12/2018 12:06 PM
Posted by shoe3 on 11/12/2018 11:03:00 AM (view original):
Yeah, the preferences are by and large a great and necessary gameplay addition, but they should be more intelligent. I agree with seble that there should be some exceptions and surprises, but 3-5 star recruits should *mostly* want playing time, want success, want strong conference, and should want to sign late; very few should want rebuild, or care about distance or offensive/defensive sets, or sign before EEs are announced, and before affected teams have the resources to extend decent effort toward them. He made some tweaks, so it’s better than it was in beta (when a 5 star recruit was just as likely to want a rebuild as wanting success). But it’s still a bit off, IMO.

I’d also just get rid of wants rebuild. It’s poorly worded and poorly executed, and causes confusion. Those players want to be the focus of a team - they want playing time promises. It should be like strong conference or long time coach, they either give an extra boost to recent success, or they don’t care.
I agree with most of this, except the rebuild, distance, and offensive/defensive set parts. Some players want to be the guys to fake fallen programs and make a tourney run. About distance, a lot of kids, especially lower divisions, want to play close to home. Even top recruits, some of them want to play close to home or in there hometown school. With offensive/defensive sets, players know which sets will produce their best success. An unathletic, slow shooter usually won’t want to play fast break/press, he’d produce better in motion, zone. Guys prefer certain sets.
11/12/2018 12:25 PM
Posted by Sportsbulls on 11/12/2018 12:25:00 PM (view original):
Posted by shoe3 on 11/12/2018 11:03:00 AM (view original):

I agree with most of this, except the rebuild, distance, and offensive/defensive set parts. Some players want to be the guys to fake fallen programs and make a tourney run. About distance, a lot of kids, especially lower divisions, want to play close to home. Even top recruits, some of them want to play close to home or in there hometown school. With offensive/defensive sets, players know which sets will produce their best success. An unathletic, slow shooter usually won’t want to play fast break/press, he’d produce better in motion, zone. Guys prefer certain sets.
Yeah, outside of “wants rebuild”, I’m not saying get rid of those things, just make them very rare for 3-5 star players. Shouldn’t be a concern for the vast majority of that group of players.
11/12/2018 1:00 PM
Random stupid things in HD.. This will be a long thread.
11/12/2018 1:02 PM
Posted by topdogggbm on 11/12/2018 12:00:00 PM (view original):
I love the title! As far as what's being discussed, I agree with most. But why should they all have late signing preference? Some kids know they want to go to "X University" when they're still in high school. Not that they can't be persuaded. But I think early signing is just fine.
They shouldn’t all have a late singing tendency, but most of them should at least be open to effort from the national champion who only had 2 scholarships in the first session, but lost 3 to early entry.

One thing I brought up in beta, but basically got lost amidst the blizzard of suggestions, was having players give “verbal” commitments once a team reaches a certain effort credit lead threshold, at which point “considering credit” might kick in, making it tough to pry him away unless he gets huge effort from a great preference match. But then make most (or all?) of those players - I’m thinking primarily the pool of players who may be early entry candidates, top 25 by position, starred players - wait to sign binding LOI in the late session.
11/12/2018 1:09 PM
I had a FR recruit that I gave a 10 minute promise to, and ended up Starting and playing 25+ per night. After the fifth or sixth game, I got a Assistant Caoch email that the player was complaining about TOO MUCH game time. First time I had ever seen such a thing.
11/12/2018 1:25 PM
Posted by wvufan76 on 11/12/2018 1:25:00 PM (view original):
I had a FR recruit that I gave a 10 minute promise to, and ended up Starting and playing 25+ per night. After the fifth or sixth game, I got a Assistant Caoch email that the player was complaining about TOO MUCH game time. First time I had ever seen such a thing.
I don’t know if this is the same thing, but I’ll occasionally get an email from the assistant about cutting back a players minutes, but because the player is looking tired or worn, or something along those lines. In that case, the player isn’t complaining about minutes, but the asst coach is advising that he’s playing a lot of minutes at tired or worse. This usually happens to me when I promise a freshman with low starting stamina a lot of minutes, and I am giving him 25+ per night.
11/12/2018 3:25 PM
Posted by topdogggbm on 11/12/2018 12:06:00 PM (view original):
And I'll add that I hate the stupid foul outs in under 10 minutes. That's always goofy.

Another one is offering a start and 25 minutes to an ineligible to get a high "very good" preference at D1 or D2. When the kid knows damn well he ain't playing this season. But at least he feels better knowing that if he woulda hit the books, he COULD'VE been a big part of this season's plans!
You’ve obviously never played basketball with me. I could foul out in 5 possessions.
11/12/2018 4:08 PM
MikeT..

..oh wait..he's gone..never mind
11/12/2018 4:28 PM
123456 Next ▸
Random Stupid things about HD Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.