Anybody have any experience with using these? Thinking of making some kind of combo D with them. I know about the passing hole in the 5-2 and the deep pass fault in the 4-4 but I still want to experiment with it.
11/15/2018 7:06 PM
Not to say there are not faults in this game with passing being the thing that most people win with, I believe this game also is similar to the real life game. If you have better players, you will win 9 out of 10 times regardless of what scheme you are using.

I applaud you for going against the grain and wanting to figure out how to use other schemes and make them work for you.

I am not gonna lie, I have done what "everyone" else has done scheme wise at D3 and I have won 3 Natty's that way. But at the same time, when I have won, my players have been better and I think that matters more when you play people who have talent that is similar to yours.

With my experience with actual "real" football coaching one thing I have been told on several occasions when asking other coaches about "How do I stop the wing T" or how do I stop the "veer option." They say, "Have better players." I think this game is similar in that way
11/15/2018 7:22 PM
frmrd3coach I agree with everything you said..... its all about talent...but damn it Im tired of 4-3 nickel defense on EVERY team!!! Or pro set ...good lord , like 85% of teams run pro set it seems. I run Notre Dame Box with my Wayne State team in Stagg and I have for about 20 seasons now and I LOVE IT! I run a base 3-4 as my D and Im just looking to change things a little in regards to the run D. Been reading everything I can about 4-4 and 5-2 D online, although Im not really sure if ANY of it applies in this game...but Im gonna find out. Thanks for your comments.
11/15/2018 7:52 PM
Posted by raginirish on 11/15/2018 7:06:00 PM (view original):
Anybody have any experience with using these? Thinking of making some kind of combo D with them. I know about the passing hole in the 5-2 and the deep pass fault in the 4-4 but I still want to experiment with it.
Could you explain what you mean by faults and holes? I use a 4-4 at times. Never ran a 5-2 because I don't see any advantage to it, and it hamstrings your options imo
11/15/2018 9:30 PM
I won some NC's with the 5-2 / NI back when the running game was prevalent. Used 5-2 against run & NI against pass.
11/15/2018 10:30 PM
Won my first NC with a 5-2 and Nickel D. Course that was many moons ago with Beloit D3 in Stagg. Still , I agree it's mostly talent. But I am also convinced that if you have the talent then you have to learn best way to use your formations. Best way to recruit for them.
Currently use 3-4 and Nickel. Used to use just 3-4 and won my share of NC's with it . But still convinced that adding Nickel has helped me.
I would think with a mostly or all 4-4 that you would want fast LB's since you will never get the extra db in the game.
11/15/2018 10:30 PM
4-4 with 2 lb's on line, 2 convert db's as outside lb's, and blitz FS.... it could be nasty. You've got me wanting to try it.
11/15/2018 11:54 PM
Realist....the 5-2 has a natural "passing hole" that is to say because your missing a linebacker in the middle of the field you have a "hole" that a team that short or medium passes alot can exploit. The 4-4 is a great D for pressure but if the qb has time you only have 3 db's to defend the deep pass , thus the "fault" in the defense . Again I have no idea if ANY of this applies to this game...these are real life examples.
11/16/2018 8:12 AM
Posted by raginirish on 11/16/2018 8:12:00 AM (view original):
Realist....the 5-2 has a natural "passing hole" that is to say because your missing a linebacker in the middle of the field you have a "hole" that a team that short or medium passes alot can exploit. The 4-4 is a great D for pressure but if the qb has time you only have 3 db's to defend the deep pass , thus the "fault" in the defense . Again I have no idea if ANY of this applies to this game...these are real life examples.
Alright, I thought you were talking about the game flaws and exploits. Real football theory doesn't really apply here.

11/16/2018 1:08 PM

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.