Knight D3 Non Conf Classic Topic

It's a little early but here we go.
  • Rules: Not many just be respectful to everyone and no crying .
Oh, and win more games than everyone else
  • Tie Breakers: All tie-breakers will be broken by head to head play and if for some reason more than two teams ( let's just say three teams finish 6-1 ) end the tourney tied for first place and head to head play can't determine a champ then of course no champion will be crowned and the gift certificate will stay in the kitty for next season. A 10$ gift certificate will be rewarded at the end of the tournament so if no champion is determined the winner of the tourney the following season will grab 20$.
  • Double Dipping: Double dipping occurs when the winner of this challenge also goes on to win the National tournament in the same year. For anyone who does win this challenge and the NT in the same year will receive a total of 20$ in gift certificates.
  • Scheduling: All teams will play one another for a total of 7 games. All teams each season while we are at 8 teams will have either a 4/3 or 3/4 split, so if this season's schedule has you playing 4 road games not to worry as those 4 games against the respected teams will be at home the following season. For now we will be doing all of our games in slots 1-7 so be careful not to schedule someone else Sportsbulls will be doing the schedules starting in season 127
Teams and coaches for season 126
  • Becker - Carlbuzz
  • Dickinson - mfnmeyers
  • New York - Trentonjoe
  • Nazareth - Sportsbulls
  • Ozarks - cwaldenj
  • Concordia, Moorhead - JamesPAn
  • Whittier - JLKennedy44
  • Franklin - taggl

Schedule for season 126...Again slots 1-7
Slot 1
Whittier at Franklin
Nazareth at Concordia
NYU at Dickinson
Ozarks at Becker

Slot 2
NYU at Concordia
Franklin at Dickinson
Whittier at Becker
Nazareth at Ozarks

Slot 3
Franklin at NYU
Dickinson at Whittier
Becker at Nazareth
Concordia at Ozarks

Slot 4
Ozarks at Franklin
Concordia at Becker
Dickinson at Nazareth
Whittier at NYU

Slot 5
Ozarks at Whittier
NYU at Nazareth
Becker at Dickinson
Franklin at Concordia

Slot 6
Dickinson at Ozarks
NYU at Becker
Franklin at Nazareth
Concordia at Whittier

Slot 7
Nazareth at Whittier
Concordia at Dickinson
Becker at Franklin
Ozarks at NYU

Guys, ask any questions you may have and if for some reason someone does accidentally schedule someone not in the tourney during these slots let us know here asap so we can maybe adjust somehow. Again just be careful doing your scheduling. Looking forward to competing with all of you and hoping I pay myself more than I pay the likes of any of you .
JLK is going to try to do a few things as well when the time actually comes
Feel free to express any ideas or thoughts
11/16/2018 6:05 PM
I am winning this ****.
11/16/2018 7:51 PM
The Golden Flyers are gonna be a team to watch in season 126. Not looking forward to that slot 2 matchup @ Ozarks though.
11/16/2018 8:55 PM
Looking forward to participating...
11/18/2018 3:24 AM
Sent out all scheduling requests.
11/29/2018 10:43 PM
Pre Tournament Review – Knight D3 NonConf Classic Season 126
Becker (Carlbuzz)
Knight World Knight World History:: 6x National Champion, 114th Consecutive Season Coaching at Becker. Hasn’t lost more than 10 games since Season 67. Early 2nd Round exit in last season’s NT and looking to redeem itself this season with a deeper run.
Team Review – Led by George Jefferson’s grandson, PG Jonathan Jefferson. Deadly outside shooter and great distributor, Becker’s offense will run thru him. Becker also sports a strong interior presence and will be difficult to stop once the ball gets into the paint. Centers Ross Bak, John Lee and PF Joseph Cooper and Allen Cottle will control the boards. Great team athleticism will keep it close in all games.

Dickinson (mfnmeyers)
Knight World History:: 2x National Champion, 53rd consecutive season coaching at Dickinson. Coming off two Elite 8 appearances in the last 3 years. The AD has trouble scheduling Tournament at the appropriate windows. Rumor has it that the Athletic Department is embroiled in a K-Pop scandal involving BTS and Seventeen – two boy bands that wish to have its members play US collegiate basketball. Coach mfnmeyers had no comment.
Team Review: Young team with not a lot of depth. This may hurt the team’s offensive prowess as there is not a lot of firepower in the starting 5 or coming off the bench. Athletically, the team is among the elite of the D3 though and that may be enough to provide the necessary wins for a run in the tournament. The over/under for 3 Pt FGs for the season is 20. The O/U for FTs is 35/game.

New York (TrentonJoe)
Knight World History:: 2x National Champion 76th consecutive season at NYU. Ended last season with a Sweet 16 loss. A prolific poster on the Forum page – rarely stoops to the juvenile banter that eventually occurs in the more popular posts.
Team Review: Rivals Dickinson and Ozarks as one of the most Athletic teams in D3, led by 4 year starter SF Tommy Steptoe with Zhuang Chin and Bradley Brewster adding a strong inside presence will present problems to most opponents in controlling the boards. It is also one of the more experienced teams with 6 seniors. Feel good story: Has kept Charles Ibanez on the roster for 3 years now despite only playing in 2 games total for NYU. Certainly not a star player when recruited, Ibanez’ battle with palmar hyperhidrosis has made him a NYU fan favorite – although the court floor wipers would disagree.

Nazareth (Kevutz formerly Sportsbulls)
Knight World History: No Championships. Kevutz is the first year coach following Sportsbulls escape to sunny California. Team made the Final Four last year . Remains to be seen if Coach Kevutz will stay for more than a year though.
Team Review: 7 players stay for Nazareth, led by SF stud and 1st Team All-American Michael Bohner. Although a prolific outside threat, his teammate SG Joel Jones routinely beats Bohner in end of practice 3 point shooting contests. Both will be shooting from downtown this year. PF William Reid and C Charles Cross are both seniors and will pick up any loose rebounds for easy putbacks. Gotta play this team honest. Depth will be an issue as no one bothered to recruit any significant talent.

Ozarks (ab90 formerly cwaldenj)
Knight World History: 6x National Champion plus 3 runnerup finishes in 9 of the last 10 seasons. Getting bored with the same success year after year got to CW who made it known early that he was leaving the reins to ab90 and left for D2 land.
Team Review: 9 players return for Ozarks led by Thomas Woods - All-American Honorable Mention. He’ll be lighting up the 3 point line. Refs will have sore shoulders signaling all the 3s this guy takes. Not a large inside presence though. Ozarks plays lock down press defense that will create many turnovers. Very athletic team.

Concordia (JamesPan)
Knight World History: 7th season for Coach JamesPAn. Coming off a disappointing 1st round NT exit last season.
Team Review: No significant outside threats exist on this team, but woe is to the opponent that allows the ball to go inside the paint where Concordia dominates. Depth may be an issue as there is not a lot of talent on the bench especially in the backcourt. Hope PG Robert Ross and SG Burton Garibay don’t get into too much foul trouble.

Whittier (JLKennedy44)
Knight World History: 11 seasons and NO NT Tournament appearances. The tournament organizers sure fell asleep when they sent the invite out. (“Whittier? I thought we invited Whitman. Some intern is going to pay for this mistake!”)
Team Review: There is some size inside led by Seniors Tony Thompson, Mark Moss, and Joseph O’Bryon. No real outside presence though and an inexperienced backcourt will spell a 20+ loss season for sure. Maybe next year? Probably not…

Franklin (Taggl)
Knight World History: 3 consecutive NT appearances with a Final Four and Sweet 16 to show for it. Only 7 seasons at Franklin and the turnaround is complete. Coach Taggl is also our tournament’s illustrious host and prime organizer. Thanks for rounding up a tough Tournament field.
Team Review: Young team with only 2 seniors SF David Plourde and PG Timothy Teagle yet these two provide a powerful inside/outside game. Teagle is a strong court general and will control the tempo and dictate play as he is known for his sharp decision making skills.

Early Predictions:
New York 5-2
Becker 4-3
Nazareth 4-3
Ozarks 4-3
Concordia 4-3
Dickinson 3-4
Franklin 3-4
Whittier 1-6

OTHER NOTES:
8 Pre-season All-Americans are playing in the tournament, including two first teamers.
Team entrants have 16 NT Championship seasons. Some with different coaches.

Hope to get some Game Recaps in as the Tournament progresses over the next few days. Thanks for letting me be a part of it!
12/30/2018 11:30 PM
Thanks for organizing this, taggl.

Also, I didn't realize JLKennedy wrote the writeup, I was like damn Taggle is just straight up crushing this guy! I thought you must be his brother in law or something. GL, man, you are gonna need it.

FYI, Ibanez is a Sr. transfer. HIs palmar hyperhidrosis seems to be under control but he is still suffering from olfactory astigmatism. We thought we would give him a chance.
12/31/2018 11:30 PM
Slot 1 results
Whittier 72 vs #10 Franklin 92
#11 Nazareth 83 vs #5 Concordia, Moorhead 63
#20 Ozarks 62 vs #15 Becker 53
#3 NYU vs Dickinson - Moved to slot 9

Slot 2 results
#2 Franklin 78 vs Dickinson 48
#19 NYU 70 vs #25 Concordia, Moorhead 51
#1 Nazareth 59 vs #9 Ozarks 61
Whittier 66 vs Becker 98

Slot 3 results
#1 Franklin 52 at #11 NYU 67
Dickinson at Whittier - moved to slot 8
#22 Becker 82 at #14 Nazareth 75
Concordia 60 at #5 Ozarks 90

Slot 4 results
#2 Ozarks 70 at #13 Franklin 62
Concordia 71 at #19 Becker 89
Dickinson at Nazareth - W - Dickinson forfeit due to scheduling conflict
Whittier 69 at #5 NYU 86

Slot 5 results
#1 Ozarks 82 at Whittier 63
#3 NYU 88 at Nazareth 91 - OT
#10 Becker 94 at Dickinson 66
#22 Franklin 85 at Concordia 71

Slot 6 games
Dickinson at #1 Ozarks
#10 NYU at #7 Becker
#17 Franklin at #16 Nazareth
Concordia at Whittier

Franklin 3-2
NYU 3-1
Dickinson 0-3
Whittier 0-4
Becker 4-1
Nazareth 3-2
Concordia 0-5
Ozarks 5-0

1/3/2019 4:02 AM (edited)
Nice preview JLK.

Still working on next season so again everyone just hold tight on scheduling
1/2/2019 1:31 AM
I can't believe I lost to NYU - must be something wrong with the HD server tonight.

Also feel free to write away JLK.....I'm sure any recaps you do would be very good reads! I'm thinking I'll try to run a poll for an "All tournament team"....maybe a little incentive there too for any team who has a player place in one of those five slots

Only need 1 more team to commit for next season now
1/2/2019 3:18 AM (edited)
Maybe it's just me but I would love to see a write-up on the complete *** kicking NYU laid down on Franklin last night.
1/2/2019 8:06 AM
TJ, I wish I could've made the trip mostly to shake hands and have a beer afterward but unfortunately, I got sick and the Franklin assistant sucked it up bad enough that I'm replacing him before our home game today against some team called Ozarks(never heard of 'em). Just hired former Franklin Women's HC Jennifer Temple Lodge to become our new assistant. I think her coaching skills will have a big impact going forward.
1/2/2019 9:30 AM
AFTER 1, 3 or 4 GAMES:
New York U. has gone 3-0 in its tournament run. Impressive 15 point victory against then #1 Franklin. Balanced scoring led by SG Harvey, SF Steptoe and C Brewster. Quality points are also coming from PF Chin and PG Braman. Team is not afraid to share the ball – averaging 13.5 assists a game. Now ranked #3 in D3 Knight.

Becker (3-1) lost its opening game against Ozarks but reeled off 3 wins in a row including a nice 7 point win against Nazareth and a 18 point win against Concordia. Becker is being led by PG Jefferson who is averaging 16 PPG. Solid performances by C Bak, and PG Auer as well as points off the bench by SF Lucchesi (7.5 PPG) makes this a tough team to defend. Now ranked #10.

Nazareth is 1-2 with a 20 point win against Concordia and with losses against Becker and Ozarks. Losing by 2 against Ozarks was tough as the game was tied with a minute to go before PG Woods puts up a fadeaway jump shot with 3 seconds left to win it for Ozarks. Nazareth’s big 3 performers are SG Jones (16.0 PPG), PG Stephenson (15.0 PPG) and SF Bohner (19.3 PPG). Stop these 3 and you’ve stopped 57% of the team’s scoring. Don’t count on it though.

Ozarks is 4-0 and tearing up the tourmanment with impressive wins against Franklin and a 30 point win against Concordia. Whittier is next on the list tonight. Yikes! These four wins have propelled Ozarks to a #1 D3 Ranking. Ozarks big 3 contributors match Nazareth’s point for point SG Jones (13.5 PPG), SG Woods (17.5 PPG) and PG Carpenter (10.5 PPG and 4 APG) coming off the bench. Certainly underestimated this team and Coach ab90 has this team firing on all cylinders.

Concordia is 0-4 so far and has not played well at all so far in the tournament. It is shooting only 43.5% overall and 24% behind the arc. Turnovers are killing this team as is its high propensity to foul. Opponents do get easier on the back half of the tournament with Whittier and Dickinson. It will have its hands full with Franklin.

Dickinson is 0-1 due to some scheduling issues mentioned earlier. A 30 point loss to Franklin must have Coach mfnmeyers up at night figuring out what to do. Interestingly, in that game, the starters only scored an abysmal 7 points.

Franklin is 2-2 with a 20 point win against Whittier and the 30 point shellacking mentioned above against Dickinson. Certainly not impressive wins and has dropped Franklin in the polls to #22. The dynamic duo of PG Teagle and SF Ploude lead the way for Franklin with 19.8 PPG and 18.8 PPG respectively. Franklin needs to cut down on the fouls in order to have a chance against the elite teams coming up in its schedule.

As expected, Whittier is 0-3 and still looking for its first tournament win. 20 point loss against, Franklin, 32 point loss against Becker and a 17 point loss against NYU all point to the fact that Whittier just isn’t ready for Prime Time. Points are coming easily for Whittier’s big men C Moss (15 PPG) and PF O’Bryon (18 PPG). It is getting no help from Freshman PG Smith who is shooting 20% overall.

This tournament roster is proving tough and I can certainly see one of the participants taking it all in the NT. Double dip anyone?
1/2/2019 8:02 PM
So excited to get in this next year.
1/2/2019 10:42 PM
AFTER 5 or so GAMES:
Team Early Predictions Current Record
NYU 5-2 3-2
Becker 4-3 5-1
Nazareth 4-3 3-3
Ozarks 4-3 6-0
Concordia 4-3 1-5
Dickinson 3-4 0-4
Franklin 3-4 4-2
Whittier 1-6 0-5

NOTES:
Ozarks and Becker continue to steamroll through the Tournament. Becker’s only loss is against Ozarks in the first game. Becker’s last game is against Franklin. Oddmakers have it as a Pick’em, but bet the farm on Becker for this one.

Ozarks last game is against NYU. NYU lost its most recent game against Becker after a heartbreaking OT loss to Nazareth. This is after NYU thrashed then #1 Franklin by 15. What gives? Coach TrentonJoe: “My team is weak mentally and unable to play consistently. Wins go to our head too easily and losses are taken way to seriously. We plan to have a “mary jane” party prior to our Ozarks game so that we’ll be loose.” Arena officials are ordering extra nachos for the expected second half concession run.

Nazareth is still whooping it up in Rochester after its thrilling OT victory against NYU. It has an easy opponent in Whittier coming next. “Finishing 4-3 is a great showing in the Tournament. We’ll see all these teams again in the NT”, says Coach Kevutz. “Well all of them except Whittier.”. Whittier officials had no comment.

Concordia’s disappointing 1-5 record seems to indicate that changes are coming. Team officials hope that the last win against Whittier and upcoming patsy Dickinson will create some needed momentum entering league play.

Franklin’s 4-2 record portends well for its regular season and expected run in the NT Tourney. “We’ll be fine as long as we don’t play Becker”, says Coach Taggl. When informed that Franklin’s next game is against Becker, Coach Taggl and his staff immediately left the press area with stunned looks on their faces.

It appears that Dickinson and Whittier will be playing for their first tournament win. Game was rescheduled due to lack of ticket sales.
1/3/2019 4:33 PM (edited)
1|2|3...20 Next ▸
Knight D3 Non Conf Classic Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.