gripe about opponent player ratings... Topic

When trading...would be nice if I could see how guys have progressed (guys who may not be done developing). I can only see current rating and projected. But say a guy's in year 3...I want to see the leap from year 1-2 and 2-3...

12/9/2018 6:17 PM
Someone correct me if i'm wrong, but I believe that is exactly why they did away with being able to see players on other teams progression. Development is too linear and predictable and advanced scouting became pointless for veteran owners. I believe it was an attempt to make advanced more necessary.
12/9/2018 6:34 PM
It's just kinda lame. As a fan I can follow development for free online (talking real baseball) so it shouldn't be "hidden" especially for the benefit of making trades...but I get they are trying to make people try to strategize with budgets, etc.

At the very least...you should be able to see a guy's initial score, current score, and whatever the projections are telling you (so like year one, year four, projected final ratings). I don't need to see 'em all...but it would be nice to see what a guy was drafted as, for example.
12/9/2018 6:47 PM
Also, I wish it said what you’re players were drafted as on their profile so you wouldn’t have to look at player development. It just says spring training numbers.
12/9/2018 6:52 PM
There is a whole draft section on each player's card with a wealth of info. If it doesn't have any info, he was likely an international free agent. That can be checked in the transaction history.
12/10/2018 12:03 AM
I think he means their ratings at time of signing. Those disappear after their first season.
12/10/2018 12:38 AM
Posted by strikeout26 on 12/10/2018 12:38:00 AM (view original):
I think he means their ratings at time of signing. Those disappear after their first season.
Yeah.
12/10/2018 7:19 AM
It used to be where you could see it from season to season. Its dumb that it is gone imo. I think they changed it when I was gone it really has not made adv necessary though.
12/10/2018 8:20 AM
More people spend $ on ADV than before the "fix".

You can't on the one hand not spend money on ADV and then complain that you don't know the history. ADV makes the history less important.

Saying that you can "definitely follow development" in RL is not really true, simply because in real life players don't have neat little concrete numbers for all of these categories. Real life is MUCH fuzzier...
12/10/2018 11:06 AM
Posted by Vitamin_C on 12/10/2018 11:07:00 AM (view original):
More people spend $ on ADV than before the "fix".

You can't on the one hand not spend money on ADV and then complain that you don't know the history. ADV makes the history less important.

Saying that you can "definitely follow development" in RL is not really true, simply because in real life players don't have neat little concrete numbers for all of these categories. Real life is MUCH fuzzier...
But in real life the info is there. Their ratings. Their stats (in this game the stats for prospects are less important to me than their ratings, though), scouting reports, and so on. There is a lot you can find out about players in real life.
12/10/2018 12:24 PM
In RL you often get 1st round busts and late round gems, which doesn't support the idea of "there is a lot you can find out about players in real life".
In HBD rarely does anyone drafted beyond the 5th round ever make the show, unless they are a DITR. This is primarily because ratings are much more concrete than "player evaluation" in RL.

In RL, a superstar HS talent may not pan out when he starts climbing through the minors, whereas in HBD a guy who reaches 70s across the board will be a decent BL player every single time. It is apples and oranges.
12/10/2018 1:14 PM
I'm in agreement with VitC. What about real life cases like Jose Bautista or more recently JD Martinez? Guys who were released and rebuilt their entire hitting approach? No provision for that. Also injuries are far less in this game than IRL.

12/10/2018 2:20 PM
* Guys who were released and started using performance enhancing drugs.

Fixed it for you.
12/10/2018 2:35 PM
My point is the info is always there. Yeah there are outliers, of course. But if I wanted to google a history of scouting reports and grades on JD Martinez, I could. Here, I can't. And here, things are not as up to chance as real life (in my opinion) as it's reliant on a computer simulation, ratings, etc. So to not have any access to how a guy you're trading for is developing (it's not an issue with guys who have maxed out already...but say I am trading a star for a guy in year 2, and two guys in year 3 of their careers)...I know nothing about them other than their current ratings and projected - but I can't see how his contact or power improved from year 1 to 3.

In real life...that info is available. And you can see guys improve or falter and those grades and expectations are adjusted.

It's not a big deal. Just can't tell me that more info wouldn't be available if I was the Red Sox trading JD Martinez for prospects...I'd know a lot about the prospects (and so would fans). If that info is so readily available, I'd think it would be in a simulation as well.
12/10/2018 3:01 PM
What I am saying is that the projections at 18 or 20 ADV would give you a better understanding of a players true potential than anything in real life. it isn't even close.

THAT is why the data you are wishing for doesn't exist. It is a sim and the two are only parallel as much as possible, but certain things are completely different and necessarily so for the end result to be similarity to real life.

The best way to get what you are advocating for is to also re-introduce the 1st round busts back into the game.
That was cried about much more loudly than this "issue".

The statement "Just can't tell me that more info wouldn't be available if I was the Red Sox trading JD Martinez for prospects...I'd know a lot about the prospects (and so would fans)." is just not factually correct. You could see stats of their minor league career thus far, just as you can in this sim, and that is about it.

If the above statement were true you wouldn't have so many example of BL squads trading superstars for a package of prospects who don't pan out. It happens OFTEN, which indicates that for all their "info" they are still just guessing and hoping. They have no quantifiable numbers like we do in HBD.
12/10/2018 5:09 PM
12 Next ▸
gripe about opponent player ratings... Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.