Blue Earth Classic 108 Topic

Huh?

I think I'll just try and win and hope the rest sorts itself out.
1/13/2019 4:22 PM
I guess I'll be a SIUE fan tonight then, I think
1/13/2019 6:08 PM
Always room for more on the SIUE bandwagon!
1/13/2019 7:30 PM
My attempts to simplify sound like they poured gasoline of fire. A condensed and modified version is here...

Note, 1 and 2, are just standard tie-breaker rules, #3 gets into the tiebreaker if there is a 3-way split, like we potentially have if all three teams at the top win tonight. I tried to break down what it means, but that probably complicated more than helped.

A. If two teams are tied from regular season conference play,
tiebreaker procedures will be:
1. Head to head
2. If three teams are in a three-way tie from regular season
conference play, tie breaker procedures will be: Head-to-head
competition. If one team has been defeated by one of
the other teams twice, they would be eliminated. The two
remaining teams would go to step two listed above for two
teams that are tied. If step two does not break the tie, step
three would follow, then step four.
3. If three teams are tied and each team has split (or a perfect
triangle), tiebreaker procedures will be: Margin of victory in
all conference games, with a maximum of 20 points per
game.
4. After tabulating the sum of the winning margins, all teams
except the two with the greater sum shall be eliminated and
the selection process shall begin again with paragraph (A).
1/13/2019 9:31 PM
STANDINGS
Tiffin 4-1
West Ga 4-1
Texas A&M, Kingsville 3-2
S Illinois Edwardsville 3-2
Augustana 1-4
San Francisco St 0-5

ROUND FOUR RESULTS

West Ga 108 @ Augustana 61

Key Stat: Defensive pressure from West Ga all night was a critical factor. West Ga collected twice as many steals as Augustana (16 to 8) and also forced an impressive 31 turnovers compared to 13.
Key Moment: With an 8-point lead in the early second, West Ga went on two separate runs of 10 points and 9 points in the early second to crush any chances Augusta had of making this into a game.
Key Performance: While UWG’s Dana Lawrence again off the bench had the game high of 24 points, Billy Ahart’s 22-pont performance was impressive enough to win POG with his 6 assists and 3 steals.

Tiffin 79 @ San Francisco St 58

Key Stat: Tiffin was efficient from behind the arch, going 8 of 19, while San Francisco St didn’t have a perimeter game. Also, Tiffin had a much better assist/turnover ratio (+2 to -10).
Key Moment: After holding a 1-point halftime lead, San Francisco St opened the second half cold out of the gates, going over 5 and a half minutes before their next score, while Tiffin had an 11-point run to make it a double-digit deficit for San Francisco St.
Key Performance: Tiffin’s Justin Coyle was named POG with a game high 19 points, but his fellow post player Joseph Shepardson quietly had a great game. Despite only 5 points, he grabbed 6 offensive boards, 13 rebounds overall and 3 blocked shots.

Texas A&M Kingsville 59 @ S Illinois Edwardsville 61

Key Stat: With a lot of categories very close, the one area that allowed SIUE to prevail was the high efficiency from the floor. Despite Kingsville taking 12 more shots (55 to 43), Edwardsville matched the 23 shots made and a much higher shooting % (.535 to .418), enough to edge by Kingsville. Worth mentioning, Kingsville dominated on the boards, getting twice as many offensive boards (12 to 6) which in part allowed them so many more shots.
Key Moment: Quite simply, after getting the ball back down by two with 22 seconds left, Kingsville missed a dunk with one second left, their chance to tie and send the game into OT.
Key Performance: While points off the bench seems like a non-factor, Kingsville outscoring Edwardsville 15 to 17, the Edwardsville bench collectively, hitting 75% of their shots, where the Kingsville bench wasted a lot of opportunities, shooting 35%.

As it so happens, we don’t need the 3-way tie-breaker after all. With SIUE defeating Texas A&M, Kingsville in a tight one, the only two teams tied at the top are West Ga and Tiffin. With a standard tie-breaker, Tiffin beat West Ga head-to-head on the opening night of the tournament and therefore wins this season’s Blue Earth Classic. Congrats to BergPride on the auto rolling invite back into the Classic whenever you so choose. You can come back in the first chance in a couple of seasons, or there are plenty of other good teams in the NAAA that could play if you wanted to wait. This is the second year in a row the NAAA has won and the first conference to win this twice. West Ga is 8-2 overall in the Classic, but both have now resulted in 2nd place finishes. I appreciate everyone taking part in the tournament and hope we get everyone back again before long. Good luck in the NT!
1/14/2019 5:41 AM
Ayyyy good work bhbum! I knew me handing each of the refs a 20 before your game would do the trick to tip the scales in your favor haha.

Thanks for putting this together long!
1/14/2019 7:39 AM
Congrats Bergpride! This was a lot of fun. Great writeups Long! I really enjoyed them!
1/15/2019 12:06 AM
Thanks Long! Always enjoy being in The Blue Earth Classic!
1/15/2019 7:14 PM
Thanks fellas, always a fun tourney to run. For those interested, these are the schools in the Classic next season, the first time we will have 2 defending champs returning the same season.

Coker
Alaska Fairbanks
Pittsburgh, Johnstown
CSU, Stanislaus
Dowling
Lewis
1/15/2019 10:35 PM
Coker will hold it down for the "forever boring CVAC" next season!

So the way you worded things, there hasn't been a 2 time Blue Earth champion "Team" yet? So myself and whomever the 2nd defending Blue Earth champ was that you mentioned, have a chance at Classic history? Is that what I'm understanding?
1/18/2019 5:50 AM
The normal way of having an auto-invite would have 1 defending champ back for a given season. Since we have rolling auto-invites, where teams can elect to return whatever season they so choose, you could potentially have more than one DC in the same tourney. Next season with Coker and Alaska Fairbanks that is the case.

To your point, though, there has not been a 2-time champ yet. NAAA is the first conference to win it twice. If Tiffin elects to play in season 110, we could again have 2 DC's in the same Classic, (as MSUM will be back that season). Below is the history of champs. I should probably start tracking wins loses, post-season results, coach records, team records, conference records, etc before it becomes too massive of a task.

103: Abilene Christian
104: Seattle
105: Coker
106: Minnestoa St., Mankato
107: Alaska Fairbanks
108: Tiffin
1/18/2019 7:52 AM
Here are how the teams from the Classic fared this post-season. Overall, it was a great year for Classic teams with 3 teams in the F4 and a Blue Earth rematch in the finals. Congrats to kevo on the NT title!

Tiffin: 1-seed, S16
West Ga: 2-seed, NT runner-up
Texas A&M, Kingsville: 4-seed, NT champ
S Illinois Edwardsville: 5-seed, F4
Augustana: No post-season
San Francisco St: PI-3rd round
2/17/2019 9:41 AM
Thanks long_ge! Hopefully I'll be in the classic again soon!
2/19/2019 8:40 PM
◂ Prev 12
Blue Earth Classic 108 Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.