Ask the 'Someone who isn't MikeT' thread. Topic

Anyone can ask, anyone can answer. Don't want to start a new thread for your question, ask it here. Hopefully someone who knows what they are talking about will answer.
1/16/2019 1:15 PM
Nice! ...asked this in another thread but I think it got lost in the shuffle.

I have the #1 pick on a team I took over and scouting budget isn't where I want it and don't like the guys I see so I'm taking the comp pick. Is the safest way to do that by putting the guy who "probably won't sign" at the top of my draft board with Very Aggressive setting? I believe some guys ask for way over slot right out of the gate, so I don't want to have to offer $8M if I don't need to. Is it random on what they will ask for, or does an "undecided" or "may sign if the deal is right" draftee ask for slot and come back with a higher number? ...if any of this makes sense!
1/16/2019 5:50 PM
Posted by mtanton07 on 1/16/2019 5:50:00 PM (view original):
Nice! ...asked this in another thread but I think it got lost in the shuffle.

I have the #1 pick on a team I took over and scouting budget isn't where I want it and don't like the guys I see so I'm taking the comp pick. Is the safest way to do that by putting the guy who "probably won't sign" at the top of my draft board with Very Aggressive setting? I believe some guys ask for way over slot right out of the gate, so I don't want to have to offer $8M if I don't need to. Is it random on what they will ask for, or does an "undecided" or "may sign if the deal is right" draftee ask for slot and come back with a higher number? ...if any of this makes sense!
If you have a "probably won't sign" guy at the very top of your board, with a conservative setting or anything more aggressive, you will draft him, and he really probably won't sign. I've done it before with the second overall pick in the first season taking on a new team when I didn't see any prospects I liked or didn't trust the rating enough anyway.

And, I can't tell you how much over slot he'll ask for, because it probably varies, but he very probably will not sign so long as you don't chase his offer. Meet his initial demands and don't pull that offer until he tells you that he's officially off the table. Then you can use that money on an international guy or whatever.
1/16/2019 6:02 PM
I think "probably won't sign" is the right move here. I've had "undecided" guys take the initial offer without asking for more.
1/16/2019 7:42 PM
You've got the right idea but unfortunately you will have to save between 8 to 10 million for the initial offer. If you can't match their first demand you don't get the comp pick.
1/17/2019 9:10 AM
I've got a question for everyone.

So I picked up a nice little IFA at the end of the season who I'm pretty sure will make my bigs at some point in time. Problem is he signed after the season ended for my minors. He's 18 right now and won't have a single game under his belt for his first season.

Will this effect his ratings growth at all? Can the game differentiate between an IFA who is 19 who is playing his first season but was signed at 18 vs a IFA who is 19 who ws signed at 19 playing his first season?
1/17/2019 1:04 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Posted by hockey1984 on 1/17/2019 1:04:00 PM (view original):

So I picked up a nice little IFA at the end of the season who I'm pretty sure will make my bigs at some point in time. Problem is he signed after the season ended for my minors. He's 18 right now and won't have a single game under his belt for his first season.

Will this effect his ratings growth at all? Can the game differentiate between an IFA who is 19 who is playing his first season but was signed at 18 vs a IFA who is 19 who ws signed at 19 playing his first season?
Only to the extent that the 3 or so points of development you didn't get that exact season are gone. He'll otherwise develop like an INTL signed at 18.
1/17/2019 2:33 PM
Posted by dedelman on 1/17/2019 2:33:00 PM (view original):

Only to the extent that the 3 or so points of development you didn't get that exact season are gone. He'll otherwise develop like an INTL signed at 18.
Thanks dedleman. That's what I figured. He should still be a great player with a little luck. Power in the mid 70's for an 18 year old is a great start.

Rafael Garrideo
1/17/2019 3:13 PM

I don't think it will affect him whatsoever if he is young (18 or 19).

He will show up next season with 0 years of pro service. So he'll get a FULL season of development at 0 pro years instead of a 3/4 like an amateur draft prospect. It'd essentially be like you got him at day one of ST, except he'll actually get to have that full ST development as well.
1/17/2019 7:35 PM
Does playing more demanding position. (Example SS vs 3B; C vs DH; CF Vs LF) improve defensive skills at a greater rate than player the less demanding one?
1/17/2019 11:10 PM
So is this thread really a thing? Random questions and answers people have to search through, instead of zeroing in on a specific question in a specific post? MikeT still lives, I guess. What a heel. (Lol I didn't say heel when I typed that.)
1/18/2019 12:04 AM
Posted by McGirkTheJer on 1/17/2019 11:10:00 PM (view original):
Does playing more demanding position. (Example SS vs 3B; C vs DH; CF Vs LF) improve defensive skills at a greater rate than player the less demanding one?
Many, many years ago the developers said it would-- but it apparently does not.
1/18/2019 6:25 AM
Posted by McGirkTheJer on 1/17/2019 11:10:00 PM (view original):
I've had many a DH/C who I started as DHs in the low minors and I've used as catcher later on - even in the majors. Their defensive ratings developed pretty much as projected despite not playing games in the field. That tells me the answer is No.

1/18/2019 7:00 AM
Posted by bjschumacher on 1/18/2019 12:04:00 AM (view original):
So is this thread really a thing? Random questions and answers people have to search through, instead of zeroing in on a specific question in a specific post? MikeT still lives, I guess. What a heel. (Lol I didn't say heel when I typed that.)
I always figure if you have a specific game related question, you're asking for considered analysis, and others can benefit from it, it deserves its own thread. This kind of thing is more like yelling across the bar in a room full of drunks.

1/18/2019 7:16 AM
1|2|3...112 Next ▸
Ask the 'Someone who isn't MikeT' thread. Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.