Ask the 'Someone who isn't MikeT' thread. Topic

I'm sure I've asked this more times then I like to remember and I don't know if anyone knows the answer.

Is there a way to prioritize coaches when you do coach hiring?

Offered 3+ million to a 87 rating fielding instructor and 2.5 million to a 80 rating fielding instructor. The 80 rating one decided to sign first. Things could be worse but I was leading on both. Would have really preferred the 87 rating as I budgeted 12 million for coaches this season and the 80 rating guy is 63.
1/4/2024 9:31 AM
Posted by hockey1984 on 1/4/2024 9:31:00 AM (view original):
I'm sure I've asked this more times then I like to remember and I don't know if anyone knows the answer.

Offered 3+ million to a 87 rating fielding instructor and 2.5 million to a 80 rating fielding instructor. The 80 rating one decided to sign first. Things could be worse but I was leading on both. Would have really preferred the 87 rating as I budgeted 12 million for coaches this season and the 80 rating guy is 63.
I would say about the only thing we know about coach signing is when they start to sign.
In your scenario, I spend the second day of coach signing evaluating where I stand with my top choices. If I'm not comfortable with the always possible second choice signing before my first choice, I'll just take #2 off the board and commit to #1.

1/4/2024 11:27 AM
Posted by damag on 1/4/2024 11:27:00 AM (view original):
Posted by hockey1984 on 1/4/2024 9:31:00 AM (view original):

I would say about the only thing we know about coach signing is when they start to sign.
In your scenario, I spend the second day of coach signing evaluating where I stand with my top choices. If I'm not comfortable with the always possible second choice signing before my first choice, I'll just take #2 off the board and commit to #1.

My concern for that is my #1 is always going to be the #1 on the board. So if someone comes in later and blows my offer out of the water with a $6 million dollar offer and my second choice has signed I may be SOL. Thats all part of the game though I suppose.
1/4/2024 12:02 PM
I personally only target 1 per open coach need. If I need a Low A Bench coach, I only offer to 1 coach. Then I see where it goes from there. I do the same for the ML coaches. I don't go after 3 for each opening but only 1. If I decide it is too much to spend, then I go after the next one I see in line.

I also only do the coach hiring for the ML staff on the last day of coach hiring. It saves at least half of what they are asking. There are always a few good coaches for each need. The only caveat is the FI. I offer those on day 1 and still only offer 1 coach. I usually budget $11 or $12M when I need to hire a FI.
1/5/2024 2:13 PM
What is the way to handle end-of-season minor league promotions for players on the AAA roster? I thought I could promote them to ML, get the promotion ratings bump, and then demote them without taking a ratings hit because the playoffs have started, but last year I tried that and my top prospect took a 2-point hit basically across the board. Do I promote them, leave them on the ML roster through rollover, and then demote in ST? Do coach ratings make a difference on offseason ratings bumps as well such that I'd be better off leaving them on the ML roster through rollover anyway? The guys in question would get called up at the 20-game mark next season so I'm not worried about them making ML salaries to sit in the minors, I just don't want them taking any demotion hits.
3/15/2024 1:02 PM
When did you do the transaction? I always wait until the ML LCS round of the playoffs before doing all my promotions. I've demoted and promoted tons of major league players with options left without seeing ratings dips (ML down to AAA and then immediately back to ML). Not sure if I've done AAA to ML to AAA again.

But yeah, in the future just leave them on ML in that case. I try to remember to keep any high end prospects at AA or lower before the start of ST because of this very situation.

AFAIK, the non-coachable ratings are the only ratings that make progress between seasons. I'm also of the (unproveable) belief that coaches only have a significant negative effect on ratings if they are abysmal in whatever rating their position affects.
3/18/2024 2:55 PM
◂ Prev 1...110|111|112
Ask the 'Someone who isn't MikeT' thread. Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.