Ask the 'Someone who isn't MikeT' thread. Topic

Posted by jmarkey86 on 5/3/2019 8:42:00 PM (view original):
Haven't posted on here in a while. Game 7 NLCS. Player Profile: Richard Crane - Hardball Dynasty Baseball | WhatIfSports is supposed to start Game 7. His stamina is 75 (100). My understanding is that you typically want to have a player be at 100% stamina for at least one game to truly be at 100%. Player Profile: Ernest Schmidt - Hardball Dynasty Baseball | WhatIfSports is my #2 and his stamina is 79 (100). My first inclination was to start Crane on a reduced PC (like 75-80 target, 90 max) and put Schmidt as a SUA. Now, I'm thinking I should use them as tandem starters with target pitch counts of 75-80 and max of 90.

1. Which strategy do you like best?
2. If you go the tandem starter route, do you have any tips for tandem starters as I do not have much experience with it?

Franchise Profile: Baby Warriors - Hardball Dynasty Baseball | WhatIfSports - here is my team so you can see my bullpen options which aren't the best.
Both of em are righties so doing the tandem thing doesn’t work as well. I used to like doing it when I had a lecture and then a rightie to get a favourable matchup. Usually for tandems the first guy I would have on a pull rating of 5 so soon as he makes a mistake he would come out. With your two guys.... maybe a 4?
5/4/2019 4:04 PM
Posted by tlowster on 4/20/2019 10:13:00 AM (view original):
Hey, Loudawg10. How is playing in Albuquerque? I would think that signing/recruiting guys with high contact rates would be an inefficiency to take advantage of playing in that stadium. Usually many of those high contact guys can be found late in free agency because many owners devalue contact.

How have you built your team there?
Hey tlowster, apologies, I missed this.
I dont mind playing in Albuquerque, but I prefer playing in the higher offensive environments like Madison, Tucson and Santa Fe more. I find that the extremes offer more to a team than the down the middle parks, and as a former position player, I gravitate towards offense more than pitching.

For team building, I use the same general strategy I use anywhere else - get the best players . In truth though, I dont believe that contact does much in the engine other than add an opportunity for the defense to turn a batted ball out into a hit via a (-). That benefit is offset by the additional GIDP opportunities that hitting the ball more brings with it. If all other things are equal, then obviously I would prefer the guy with the higher contact, but that is rarely the case. For me, I lower my threshold on batting eye first down a bit, then I move into the vL/vR splits.

It really comes down to how you believe the engine works and what ratings tie to what outcomes. If you believe that contact ties to hits or something else, then contact would be a huge asset in a + stadium.
5/6/2019 5:14 PM
Posted by LoboOne04 on 5/3/2019 12:26:00 PM (view original):
It's time to call up Esteban Aguilera, but there is not an obvious spot in the lineup for him. Who should he replace? My gut is that he's my new everyday right fielder, but I am hesitant to lose Fergie Aplin and his power from the middle of the order.
No one have any better ideas?
5/9/2019 5:34 PM
Posted by LoboOne04 on 5/9/2019 5:34:00 PM (view original):
Posted by LoboOne04 on 5/3/2019 12:26:00 PM (view original):
It's time to call up Esteban Aguilera, but there is not an obvious spot in the lineup for him. Who should he replace? My gut is that he's my new everyday right fielder, but I am hesitant to lose Fergie Aplin and his power from the middle of the order.
No one have any better ideas?
I'd probably have him platoon between RF and 2B. That way each of your guys is still playing a good number of games and keeping fresh while having some decent D and good bat options to come in off of the bench. This is a good problem to have.

Me personally I'd be looking to move Jackson or Sadler and have Aplin starting at C each game, but I know you don't want to hear that.
5/10/2019 7:51 AM
Thanks Hockey! Yeah, he's helping me keep guys fresh, for sure. Interesting thought on Aplin v. Jackson. Jackson's defense is obviously better, and he has hit pretty well for me. I'm playing him vs. righties and Aplin against lefties. Sadler is a defensive sub.
5/10/2019 10:43 AM
Posted by LoboOne04 on 5/10/2019 10:43:00 AM (view original):
Thanks Hockey! Yeah, he's helping me keep guys fresh, for sure. Interesting thought on Aplin v. Jackson. Jackson's defense is obviously better, and he has hit pretty well for me. I'm playing him vs. righties and Aplin against lefties. Sadler is a defensive sub.
That is actually exactly how I would do it as well. If you run out of space on the 25 man roster i’d Shop around Stadler, but for now if you can platoon multiple players in multiple positions it’ll pay off late in the season and int the playoffs when your best guys are fresh.
5/10/2019 1:10 PM
Do you hate Brad Marchand as much as I do?
5/12/2019 5:59 PM
I hate everything Boston, so yeah.

5/12/2019 7:48 PM
Posted by genghisxcon on 5/12/2019 5:59:00 PM (view original):
Do you hate Brad Marchand as much as I do?
Maybe more so. That **** he got away with against Williams was rediculous.
5/13/2019 9:53 PM
A little question more about perhaps, owner style and preference than anything else.

By the time Rule 5 comes around I've made enough decisions that I pretty much know who's on my 25-man major league roster. Unless I find a real surprise, I usually sit out Rule 5. I lose more players than I select. In particular, it looks to me like all the DiTRs get snapped up. And there are always a lot of DiTRs in Rule 5.

Are there some of you who will pretty much always take a flier on an available DiTR, just to see if he ends up with a "special" development pattern?

5/14/2019 7:00 AM
damag - the default rankings look at projected ratings, and the DiTRs I have seen in R5 usually have high projections and mediocre currents. If you don't set the rankings manually and you do set to take someone in R5, there's a good chance you're going home with a DiTR.

As for R5 in general, I look at it as a way to get a free player and almost always leave a 40 man spot open unless I have 40 big league quality players with 4+ years of service time. There are almost always usable players available. There aren't superstars, or sometimes even starters, but there usually are defensive SS or CF, pitchers who are playable but flawed in some way or hitters with good power/eye combo but a bad split or splits. Those guys come in handy as cheap bench fillers or innings eaters, or, in some cases, final pieces of trades.
5/14/2019 8:58 AM
For R5 I look at it as ‘you get what you get’. The guy may get a point or two here or there but i’m Not expecting a lot of development.

UNLESS! I find a guy I can break (health under 50) then for me it’s a DiTR.

Rule 5 for me is for a defensive SS, C or a SuB bullpen piece for cheap.
5/14/2019 9:19 AM
Question regarding the recruitment of INTL prospects. Is the age always accurate? Right now I have 18 million in INTL budget and there is a decent player that I may offer a contract to. However, it shows that he is 23 years old. I wonder if any of you have seen a guy that shows one age during recruiting, but once he signs, he is a different age.
5/14/2019 6:36 PM
Age is always accurate.
5/14/2019 9:34 PM
Posted by dedelman on 5/14/2019 9:34:00 PM (view original):
Age is always accurate.
Thanks
just wondering because in real life sometimes these international guys get away with lying about their age. I thought maybe the coders put that in the game.
5/15/2019 4:05 AM
◂ Prev 1...18|19|20|21|22...112 Next ▸
Ask the 'Someone who isn't MikeT' thread. Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.