Ask the 'Someone who isn't MikeT' thread. Topic

Is there a threshold for patience rating where they are guaranteed to resign? I kind of always thought it was 50 or above, but then I traded for a guy in his contract year whose patience was 53 and he said he’s going to file for free agency no matter what.

Has anyone found there to be like a specific number where they will re sign?
5/19/2019 8:33 PM
Posted by kartchy on 5/19/2019 8:33:00 PM (view original):
Is there a threshold for patience rating where they are guaranteed to resign? I kind of always thought it was 50 or above, but then I traded for a guy in his contract year whose patience was 53 and he said he’s going to file for free agency no matter what.

Has anyone found there to be like a specific number where they will re sign?
Nothing is certain. Best way I can describe it is imagine you have 100 ping pong balls in a lotto machine. The players patience rating is how many of them say he will resign. When it is time for the player to resign you draw 1 ping pong ball to determine it so even if you had a player with 98 patience it’s possible to have them not resign. I’ve had guys as high as 68 leave for FA on me. It sucks.
5/20/2019 6:28 AM
Nothing is certain, indeed. I know this isn't an apples to apples comparison, but I just arb'ed a player for the third time, his Patience rating is only 58, yet it turns out he's willing to re-sign long term next season. Never thought it possible.

5/20/2019 8:57 AM
I traded for a player once to be my future CF. Excellent player in his last year, but he wouldn't resign with me even though he had 98 patience.
5/21/2019 12:48 PM
What allows my guy to leg out more singles and ground into fewer double plays: speed, base-running or a combination? If a combo, what’s the order or importance?
5/24/2019 9:50 PM
Speed. BR plays a role once they reach first.
5/24/2019 9:56 PM
Posted by hockey1984 on 1/17/2019 3:13:00 PM (view original):
Posted by dedelman on 1/17/2019 2:33:00 PM (view original):
Posted by hockey1984 on 1/17/2019 1:04:00 PM (view original):
I've got a question for everyone.

So I picked up a nice little IFA at the end of the season who I'm pretty sure will make my bigs at some point in time. Problem is he signed after the season ended for my minors. He's 18 right now and won't have a single game under his belt for his first season.

Will this effect his ratings growth at all? Can the game differentiate between an IFA who is 19 who is playing his first season but was signed at 18 vs a IFA who is 19 who ws signed at 19 playing his first season?
Only to the extent that the 3 or so points of development you didn't get that exact season are gone. He'll otherwise develop like an INTL signed at 18.
Thanks dedleman. That's what I figured. He should still be a great player with a little luck. Power in the mid 70's for an 18 year old is a great start.

Rafael Garrideo
Fingers crossed he is a great player
5/25/2019 7:18 PM
I must have a terrible eye for talent. Looking at https://www.whatifsports.com/hbd/Pages/Popups/PlayerRatings.aspx?pid=9117866 Jimmy Mcmicheal shouldn’t he be hitting at least .250 against right handed pitching (I only let him hit against righties) last 2 seasons he has been horrible.
5/30/2019 3:13 PM
His speed it to low he will never hit for chit
5/30/2019 3:45 PM
I do not think I have seen a guy with 0 before I wonder if he can even walk
5/30/2019 3:46 PM
Posted by hockey1984 on 5/30/2019 3:13:00 PM (view original):
I must have a terrible eye for talent. Looking at https://www.whatifsports.com/hbd/Pages/Popups/PlayerRatings.aspx?pid=9117866 Jimmy Mcmicheal shouldn’t he be hitting at least .250 against right handed pitching (I only let him hit against righties) last 2 seasons he has been horrible.
Wow, I learned a TON about the engine from seeing my first player with 0 speed AND 0 power.

This guy does not hit doubles, basically, at all; he has 4 in 900 major league PA. I had always assumed that splits turned singles into doubles, but now it would appear they don't. Speed apparently does, and so might power (although power might only turn hits into HR).

I see him at about .275/.320/.280 playing full time in a neutral park; .250/.290/.255 playing half his games in SD. I'm sure he gets about 15% of his PA against LHP even though you're trying not to-- blowouts, etc.-- and he would get about 30-35% against them if you weren't platooning, so I'd only bump him up a little bit based on your usage.

.236-- what he hit last season-- is well within annual random variation of those projections, and his career line of .242/.297/.247 is right in line with those projections. 2-14 this season is a small sample size.

I'm not sure you can play him despite the borderline Gold Glove-- he NEVER advances another runner more than 2 bases, and he clogs up the bases something awful. I think he may be an even worse offensive player than his OPS indicates.

5/30/2019 3:49 PM
Posted by dedelman on 5/30/2019 3:49:00 PM (view original):
Posted by hockey1984 on 5/30/2019 3:13:00 PM (view original):
Wow, I learned a TON about the engine from seeing my first player with 0 speed AND 0 power.

This guy does not hit doubles, basically, at all; he has 4 in 900 major league PA. I had always assumed that splits turned singles into doubles, but now it would appear they don't. Speed apparently does, and so might power (although power might only turn hits into HR).

I see him at about .275/.320/.280 playing full time in a neutral park; .250/.290/.255 playing half his games in SD. I'm sure he gets about 15% of his PA against LHP even though you're trying not to-- blowouts, etc.-- and he would get about 30-35% against them if you weren't platooning, so I'd only bump him up a little bit based on your usage.

.236-- what he hit last season-- is well within annual random variation of those projections, and his career line of .242/.297/.247 is right in line with those projections. 2-14 this season is a small sample size.

I'm not sure you can play him despite the borderline Gold Glove-- he NEVER advances another runner more than 2 bases, and he clogs up the bases something awful. I think he may be an even worse offensive player than his OPS indicates.

This is super insightful and actually way more of an answer then I expected. Thank you so much for this dedleman.

I always figured speed just had him clog up the bases and not have him leg out double plays but you are totally correct. The 0 speed and 0 power mean he is probably never advancing someone more then one base. The eye means I can’t have him lead off and the contact/eye/speed combo means he is probably hitting into a ton of double plays. It’s a shame. Thought I lucked into a gem in a mid round pick. I’ll probably hold him for a bit until he asks for too much in Arb then let him go.
5/30/2019 4:30 PM
Trade him for someone useful
5/30/2019 5:40 PM
Couple more thoughts on a really interesting player (despite not being very good):
1) I was a little harsh; for the right team he's a credible bench player while he's cheap. A defensive replacement at SS who is only almost a total disaster offensively can play off the bench at $378K, assuming your primary SS is hitting-dominant.
2) I bet if you looked at all his doubles in the box scores, they'd be on (-) plays. Unfortunately you can't do that for past seasons, but if he ever hits a double again see if I'm correct.
5/30/2019 6:03 PM
My question... why in center. At all. If you're going to play him make sure it's at SS haha
5/30/2019 6:13 PM
◂ Prev 1...19|20|21|22|23...112 Next ▸
Ask the 'Someone who isn't MikeT' thread. Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.