Ask the 'Someone who isn't MikeT' thread. Topic

Posted by dedelman on 5/30/2019 6:03:00 PM (view original):
Couple more thoughts on a really interesting player (despite not being very good):
1) I was a little harsh; for the right team he's a credible bench player while he's cheap. A defensive replacement at SS who is only almost a total disaster offensively can play off the bench at $378K, assuming your primary SS is hitting-dominant.
2) I bet if you looked at all his doubles in the box scores, they'd be on (-) plays. Unfortunately you can't do that for past seasons, but if he ever hits a double again see if I'm correct.
Yeah. I don’t have good hitting SS. Probably my biggest problem. Was tempted to have McMicheal as my everyday SS but that is no good.

My other guy is https://www.whatifsports.com/hbd/Pages/Popups/PlayerRatings.aspx?pid=8469125

who is also no good with the bat.

And also coming up in AAA is

https://www.whatifsports.com/hbd/Pages/Popups/PlayerRatings.aspx?pid=9442024

who also isn’t much better.

5/30/2019 7:48 PM
Also some comparison for science. When I drafted McMicheal I thought he was going to be another Gregory Goodman.

https://www.whatifsports.com/hbd/Pages/Popups/PlayerStats.aspx?pid=8944499

one of the best leadoff men I have ever had. Also 0 power but fast as F. He isn’t much better for doubles or triples but he gets into scoring position pretty easily for my big bats. I guess power does play a pretty big role in extra base hits?
5/30/2019 8:00 PM
Tomas Abaladejo

Weirdest batter I've ever seen hands down.

Just TERRIBLE contact and splits but insane Power, Eye, Speed. He is actually above 700 (adjusted for steals) OPS for his career in Saint Louis no less. Also he's off to an 0-20 start this year for me.

Including Steals and Caught Steals his career OBP is .280 and his career SLUG is .446, in a pitchers park.
5/30/2019 10:19 PM (edited)
Just a couple of overall thoughts related to where this has been going:

1/ Power has long seemed to me to be a modifier on things. It's not just HRs. Kind of like Contact/Splits/Eye determine whether the player gets a hit; Power plays into what kind of hit. As such, when a player at the major league level has power lower than, say 30, it practically subtracts from his other ratings. That make any sense? It would make perfect sense that you'd find a guy like that who never hits doubles.

2/ cubcub113's guy is exactly the kind of player I look for at C / SS / CF. Assuming I can't find an all round superstar, I want a glove first and then a hitter who can do SOME kind of obvious categorical damage.

5/31/2019 7:04 AM
But the thing I find interesting is if you directly compare Jimmy McMicheal and Gregory Goldman to each other, Goldman has significantly more doubles per plate appearance (I did the math last night. I think its 2% vs 0.44%) then McMicheal. And what is even more staggering is the difference in triples. For that Goldman has 1% of his plate appearances currently turning into triples where as I doubt McMicheal will ever have a triple.
This is making me think that, although power has an effect on slugging that does not count as homeruns, speed may have a modifier as well to that point that an extreme difference (87 points of speed between the two) makes aproximatly a 1 to 1% difference in doubles and triples.

Edit: Now lets even go one step further and compare Goldman, someone who is fast with no power to someone who is all power and no speed.

(this is a little harder because Moore played in Portland before this but its the closest comparison I can find)

Max Moore has a power of 88 and a speed of 8. (Hold for update. I have to go to work). Pretty much though, until I can make my point check out Moore's doubles and triples per hit vs Goldman's doubles and triples per hit.
5/31/2019 7:27 AM (edited)
Interested in thoughts on how Player Profile: Dale den Dekker - Hardball Dynasty Baseball | WhatIfSports had such a good season this year. His low splits and pitches make him look like a pretty ordinary pitcher but he had a big year for me. How much of a factor does his 80 fly ball rating help playing in Florida?
5/31/2019 2:13 PM
He has less then a 1.30 whip in over 700 inning so id say that's what id except from him.
5/31/2019 2:50 PM
What!!! How is that guy 3.27 ERA.
5/31/2019 4:30 PM
A while ago I researched that 1 point of speed is worth 1/8 points of power, and 1 point of speed is worth 1/5 points of contact, where above 60 is adding and below 60 is subtracting. I'm going to conduct a MASSIVE statistical study this weekend. I can't wait to share my results.
5/31/2019 4:34 PM
Posted by cubcub113 on 5/31/2019 4:34:00 PM (view original):
A while ago I researched that 1 point of speed is worth 1/8 points of power, and 1 point of speed is worth 1/5 points of contact, where above 60 is adding and below 60 is subtracting. I'm going to conduct a MASSIVE statistical study this weekend. I can't wait to share my results.
I am not smart enough to even remotely calculate this but I do not believe this in even the slightest. Speed does not effect power or contact. It does affect what a player does after the hit is made but that is all. Prove me wrong please.
5/31/2019 5:01 PM
Posted by brianp87 on 5/31/2019 5:01:00 PM (view original):
I am not smart enough to even remotely calculate this but I do not believe this in even the slightest. Speed does not effect power or contact. It does affect what a player does after the hit is made but that is all. Prove me wrong please.
For slugging not counting homeruns I could totally see speed effecting power as cubcub mentioned. I always assumed contact and eye only effect if the ball was put into play or not and speed was only effecting after the ball was hit. But it will be interesting to see what your study shows.
5/31/2019 6:40 PM
How can speed effect power? It can only effect what happens once the guy makes contact with the ball that is all. The power with which the ball is hit has no bearing on how fast the player is. I have never seen anything to change that opinion. I am not a mathematics nerd who could calculate it but I am certain that it is not true from my personal experience and what I have seen. Id love to be proven otherwise but common sense says otherwise.
5/31/2019 7:00 PM
Posted by hockey1984 on 5/31/2019 6:40:00 PM (view original):
Posted by brianp87 on 5/31/2019 5:01:00 PM (view original):
For slugging not counting homeruns I could totally see speed effecting power as cubcub mentioned. I always assumed contact and eye only effect if the ball was put into play or not and speed was only effecting after the ball was hit. But it will be interesting to see what your study shows.
If cubcub is referring to the research that I think he is (which I helped provided some of the data for), then this information could prove to be of some use...if he's referencing different information, I just wasted my last five minutes putting this post together. Either way, I too will be interested to see the results. The following is a quick comparison of McMichael's career to date with the numbers thrown out above by both dedelman and cubcub:

dedelman's projection (neutral park) = .275/.320/.280 = .600 OPS
dedelman's projections for McMichael in SD = .250/.290/.255 = .545 OPS
cubcub's projection...adjusted for speed etc. as noted above (neutral park) = .269/.306/.251 = .557 OPS
McMichael's career so far (all in SD) = .242/.296/.246 = .542 OPS
5/31/2019 7:13 PM (edited)
You would be shocked by how much speed influences slugging. Especially in parks with a generous tripes/doubles compared to home runs.
5/31/2019 8:34 PM
I ran a multivariable regression today w/ data from 100 players. I calculated a projected slash line based on Con, Pow, VsL, VsR, Eye, Speed, and Handedness (S is best, then L, then R). Here are my results for projected slash lines for a couple example players:

All Blue Stats 70, Righty, 100 Speed: 271/339/468
All Blue Stats 70, Righty, 11 Speed: 265/333/438
All Blue Stats 70, Switch, 11 Speed: 282/351/460
All Blue Stats 70, Switch, 100 Speed: 288/356/492
5/31/2019 8:43 PM
◂ Prev 1...20|21|22|23|24...112 Next ▸
Ask the 'Someone who isn't MikeT' thread. Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.