Ask the 'Someone who isn't MikeT' thread. Topic

After a trade is accepted, does re-signing someone in the trade long-term affect the deal at all? Dealing with the 1 day you have to re-sign before guys arb is frustrating
7/25/2019 12:45 PM
What is the general feeling on advanced scouting? I have traditionally had it at 0 and relied on HS/College ad international budgets to get an idea on players expectations. I recently took over for a successful coach who had it set much higher than I ever would.
8/1/2019 7:31 AM
Posted by gman981981 on 7/25/2019 12:45:00 PM (view original):
After a trade is accepted, does re-signing someone in the trade long-term affect the deal at all? Dealing with the 1 day you have to re-sign before guys arb is frustrating
As long as the new contract doesnt put the other owner over the cap, it will not affect anything...other than maybe your relationship with that other owner if he/she didnt know you were long terming the player.
8/1/2019 9:10 AM
Posted by jamier2003 on 8/1/2019 7:32:00 AM (view original):
What is the general feeling on advanced scouting? I have traditionally had it at 0 and relied on HS/College ad international budgets to get an idea on players expectations. I recently took over for a successful coach who had it set much higher than I ever would.
Hey Jamie- I think that advanced has a place when you are learning the game/development curve or are looking to make trades for prospects early in a season, but I am not sure the time it takes to get up to a meaningful amount makes sense. Once you have a couple of the ratings changes in a given season, you can make your own projections based on those and how many years time a player has. I am with you in the 0 advanced - the money can be better spent elsewhere. I see that the team was struggling for the past several serasons, I would be interested to see if that owner was also spending high in advanced during the time when he was winning 100+ games.
8/1/2019 9:43 AM
season 25 they peaked at $20MM in Adv Scouting and slowly dropped over the seasons to 0 in season 34. Eventually ramping back up to a healthy 18 the past 2 seasons. I have begun the slow drop back down. Season 25 was the first year above 90 wins and season 39 was the last season above 90. So it obviously corresponded to team wins but it seems like an easy thing to stick at 0 and let your money go elsewhere. I'm considering giving it an experiment though since it is already this high and seeing what I can do with it. I'll need to be very active in the trade market though.
8/1/2019 10:31 AM
Posted by jamier2003 on 8/1/2019 7:32:00 AM (view original):
Learning/new player pretty much. Once you've been around it gets easier to know how an 18 or 19 year old ratings will improve over the years based on current ratings. I use 0 advanced scouting as well.
8/5/2019 12:28 PM
Remind me how many HBD days take place between conclusion of WS and completion of rollover. Also between when budgets are due and opening day.
8/6/2019 10:59 AM
WS --> rollover = 3 real days, something like 110 HBD days (within a day or two).
Budgets --> Opening Day = 15 real days, or 46 HBD days since Opening Day occurs at the PM1 cycle.
8/6/2019 12:07 PM
When I started playing, it was with rebuilding teams, and I always had plenty of money in scouting for the draft. Now I'm easing off those scouting budgets as my teams become more veteran-laden and expensive. In one league I have 0 college scouting and only 12 high school, and I"m feeling really unsure of how much I can trust the 12 going into the draft.

How do you handle a draft when you haven't budgeted much for it? Just take the rating projections at face value and hope for the best?
8/14/2019 3:43 PM
Yes, for the most part. I do this from time to time. Ignore the college guys in the draft altogether. The 12 in HS is going to be unreliable, but you can pick through the ratings of guys and get a feel for what is unrealistic and more than likely wrong.
8/14/2019 3:56 PM
Bored at work so lets go down another rabbit hole.

Ever notice guys that spent their career playing for your team (usually in the minors) have higher loyalty when they become coaches for your team?

I wonder if this is purely coincidence or if they programmed this into the game.

Jacob Kim and Danys Sevet were career minor leaguers for SD and when I signed them on as coaches both have loyalty over 60. Crazy!
8/19/2019 11:25 AM
So i took a look at some of the higher loyalty coaches in rookie ball who were former players and sure enough they were with the same team most/all of their career. But..then I looked at 3 former player coaches with 0 loyalty and all three were with the same team their entire career. I guess most coaches tend to be career minor leaguers. And most career minor league type guys don't change teams too much (which I guess makes sense, nobody is trading for them, and a lot of them eventually either retire/ask for big league salaries (effectively retiring lol).
8/19/2019 5:07 PM
If I had to guess I'd guess coach ratings are generated entirely randomly. Every player I've ever had become a coach, I reacted with "Really? That guy?"

8/19/2019 5:27 PM
MikeT's favorite player, Jimmy Powell, became my rookie league PC when I took over his team. I thought that was cool. He's a HoF pitcher that was with the same team his whole career.

https://www.whatifsports.com/hbd/Pages/Popups/PlayerRatings.aspx?pid=4964724
8/19/2019 7:04 PM
So we are after the transaction deadline and I have been working on a trade for a reviler for some time. The owner just doesn't respond very much and isn't very engaged at this point, although he is a long time owner and is generally pretty good. He finally countered with a deal that would be worthwhile for me but his reliever hasn't even been posted to clear waivers. I've been trying to get him to do it so I could make a claim but we are now 2 real days out from setting the playoff roster and he wouldn't be able to be a part of the playoff run if he doesn't clear by tomorrow.

What would happen if I accepted the trade? would it be nullified because of the waiver issue? Does the player get put on waivers automatically? Am I just SOL?
8/23/2019 3:08 PM
◂ Prev 1...26|27|28|29|30...112 Next ▸
Ask the 'Someone who isn't MikeT' thread. Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.