Ask the 'Someone who isn't MikeT' thread. Topic

I had 1 player get 2 recovery cycles. I also had another player only get 1 recovery cycle. They were both hitters in the minors in the same season, and I carried $20M in medical.
9/17/2019 2:17 PM
I want him off the DL because he is still getting better but I also want him to recover once more. I’m worried he won’t because his injury was 30+ days instead of the standard 5-10 day injury that gets 2 cycles from the 60 day dl
9/17/2019 2:20 PM
What is the maximum number of spring training games to wait for signing a free agent without him losing any ratings?
9/18/2019 12:33 PM
Posted by shobob on 9/18/2019 12:33:00 PM (view original):
What is the maximum number of spring training games to wait for signing a free agent without him losing any ratings?
After the 8th ST game, the 3 PM cycle is when all players' demands are reduced to one-season deals. After that cycle is when ratings decline can begin. Amounts are individual to the player, far as I know.

9/18/2019 1:32 PM
Thanks brother. You'd think I would know that one after all these years...
9/18/2019 2:08 PM
what is the general belief on coaches and ratings that impact development the most? I have a decent RL hitter that might turn into a ML player but his first development cycle after the draft was disappointing. His coach has a pitch IQ of 52 and a patience rating of 97. The Lo A coach has a hit IQ of 65 and patience of 62. Discipline is 36 and 67 respectively. I'm considering promoting the player to see if his next 2 development cycles can be improved with a better hitting coach. Is patience that important when developing a player or is the IQ for a specific need even more so?
9/26/2019 3:29 PM
I find that my draftees always disappoint with the first update after getting drafted. Both of those coaches should be effective.
9/26/2019 11:54 PM
Is he getting playing time? Make sure of that. Otherwise, yeah, just give it time.
9/27/2019 12:40 AM
Where is the best place to play one of these low-glove fielders? Player Profile: Pokey McMillon - Hardball Dynasty Baseball | WhatIfSports
9/27/2019 10:08 AM
Yeah I've definitely noticed the first cycle might not have much improvement. I wouldn't worry too much. Maybe the cycle came too quickly before your guy could play enough games. I wouldn't consider moving him unless the next cycle didn't have the improvement you expected.
9/27/2019 10:14 AM
Posted by mannytanner on 9/27/2019 10:08:00 AM (view original):
Where is the best place to play one of these low-glove fielders? Player Profile: Pokey McMillon - Hardball Dynasty Baseball | WhatIfSports
He is ideally a 1B, but you can play him in RF and be fine. He will drop a few fly balls, but RF doesn't get a lot of opportunities anyways so he won't hurt you too much. Those are the only 2 positions that you can safely play him.
9/27/2019 10:19 AM
Coaching. What might the difference to expect from say a 90 rated PC compared to an 80 rated PC? Will I hamper my team so bad if I go for the 80 guy? Same for HC and BC. Thank you.
9/30/2019 2:02 PM
Posted by mannytanner on 9/27/2019 10:08:00 AM (view original):
Ideally 1B. He'd be smoking there. Less errors, many + plays. Gold glove caliber.
9/30/2019 2:05 PM
Posted by ramonshaw on 9/30/2019 2:02:00 PM (view original):
Coaching. What might the difference to expect from say a 90 rated PC compared to an 80 rated PC? Will I hamper my team so bad if I go for the 80 guy? Same for HC and BC. Thank you.
Depends on the pitching staff. If you have a bunch of 24 or younger and/or 34+ aged guys, I would definitely go with the 90 PC. However, if most of your guys are between 25-33 years of age, you should be fine with 80.

Same idea with hitting coach.

The way that I understand it is that young players need the best coaching possible to continue to develop. Older players need the best coaching possible prevent their [coachable] ratings from decreasing, but those guys that are in their prime (24-30 for position players; 26-32 for pitchers) don't need much coaching.
9/30/2019 7:25 PM
Agree with tlowster, that coaches only matter for development or decline in my experience.

But an easy way to hedge is make it up by hiring a leftover PC in your BU slot for half their asking price at the end of coach hiring.

Also, I offer 1/2 asking salary for all my ML coaches and you'd be surprised how many top level coaches I sign, including top end PC's and HC's that sign in my BC, BU, 1B and 3B slots. Then again, maybe my league is just not that competitive in the coach hiring process.
9/30/2019 7:44 PM
◂ Prev 1...30|31|32|33|34...112 Next ▸
Ask the 'Someone who isn't MikeT' thread. Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.