Ask the 'Someone who isn't MikeT' thread. Topic

^ It does have something to do with competition for coaches. You might be in a world with a surplus of Major League coaches who've been pushed to the top level but can't get jobs. Maybe they sat out last season. Maybe your world is full of owners promoting their own lower level coaches.

Just note that lowballing coaches generally doesn't start to work until the morning of the last day of coach signing. Unsigned coaches' demands will have already dropped a lot by then. And I have no concrete evidence, but I also suspect maybe fewer remaining openings may increase the effect.

9/30/2019 8:00 PM
Posted by tlowster on 9/30/2019 7:25:00 PM (view original):
Posted by ramonshaw on 9/30/2019 2:02:00 PM (view original):
Coaching. What might the difference to expect from say a 90 rated PC compared to an 80 rated PC? Will I hamper my team so bad if I go for the 80 guy? Same for HC and BC. Thank you.
Depends on the pitching staff. If you have a bunch of 24 or younger and/or 34+ aged guys, I would definitely go with the 90 PC. However, if most of your guys are between 25-33 years of age, you should be fine with 80.

Same idea with hitting coach.

The way that I understand it is that young players need the best coaching possible to continue to develop. Older players need the best coaching possible prevent their [coachable] ratings from decreasing, but those guys that are in their prime (24-30 for position players; 26-32 for pitchers) don't need much coaching.
I appreciate that. Helps a lot Thank you.
9/30/2019 8:53 PM
Posted by brianplath on 9/30/2019 7:44:00 PM (view original):
Agree with tlowster, that coaches only matter for development or decline in my experience.

But an easy way to hedge is make it up by hiring a leftover PC in your BU slot for half their asking price at the end of coach hiring.

Also, I offer 1/2 asking salary for all my ML coaches and you'd be surprised how many top level coaches I sign, including top end PC's and HC's that sign in my BC, BU, 1B and 3B slots. Then again, maybe my league is just not that competitive in the coach hiring process.
Thank you. Sometimes I get a good coach like that as well. Generally the last day of hiring. Thank you for the insight.
9/30/2019 8:54 PM
I tend to think Coaching helps at least a little with performance as well (as opposed to just development). For instance, from the FAQ:
oaches Does a major league bench coach have any effect outside of when the manager is ejected? Bench coaches don't just have an impact when they take over for the manager (i.e. you). They impact all of the ratings and performance of the players.<br> <br> The main ratings that the bench coach has an effect on for position players are hitting, pitch calling, and base-running. For pitchers at the minor league level they take over (to a lesser extent) the bullpen coaches role.<br> <br> At the minor league level bench coaches play a role in all facets of player development. That is why they are one of the most desired and highly compensated components of your coaching staff.

Seems to me this says they affect both development & performance. In my limited experience, I feel like coaching does affect your performance somewhat, but I wouldn't dwell on getting the best coach at each spot. If you get an 80 PC, maybe supplement that with a bench Coach who has a good pitching rating.

I do get why people think they just affect development, especially since this is straight out of the players guide:

"At the big league level, you'll need a bench coach, hitting coach, pitching coach, bullpen coach, 1B & 3B coach. The 1B & 3B coaches contribute to the development of players' basestealing and baserunning. The hitting coach, with a little help from the 1B & 3B coach, contributes to the development of all hitting ratings. The pitching coach, with some help from the bullpen coach, contributes to the development of pitcher ratings. The bench coach takes over as manager after any managerial ejection."

No mention of performance makes it seem a little confusing to just how important coaches are.
10/1/2019 10:18 AM
I'm considering adding Player Profile: Joaquin Lunar - Hardball Dynasty Baseball | WhatIfSports to the playoff roster. He is not good enough right now to crack my starting rotation in the Majors but he is definitely one of my top 10 pitchers (I have him at #8 right now). So he would be in a Set up roll or maybe even a LRA or a tandem situation in the playoffs.

Question is- Do I need a higher durability guy? I have other pitchers that can take his place and he would be one of 6 SP types on my roster AND I won't have anyone with a durability rating higher than 41. I normally put 10 pitchers and 15 hitters on my playoff teams but I might consider 11 pitchers if Lunar is one of them and add my best higher durability guy, which is either Player Profile: Julian Reed - Hardball Dynasty Baseball | WhatIfSports or Player Profile: Benji Alou - Hardball Dynasty Baseball | WhatIfSports, both of whom have outstanding ERAs and WHIPs this season. And both of whom made the playoff roster last season. Alou got rocked while Reed was a solid contributor.
10/2/2019 4:15 PM
Posted by jamier2003 on 10/2/2019 4:15:00 PM (view original):
I'm considering adding Player Profile: Joaquin Lunar - Hardball Dynasty Baseball | WhatIfSports to the playoff roster. He is not good enough right now to crack my starting rotation in the Majors but he is definitely one of my top 10 pitchers (I have him at #8 right now). So he would be in a Set up roll or maybe even a LRA or a tandem situation in the playoffs.

Question is- Do I need a higher durability guy? I have other pitchers that can take his place and he would be one of 6 SP types on my roster AND I won't have anyone with a durability rating higher than 41. I normally put 10 pitchers and 15 hitters on my playoff teams but I might consider 11 pitchers if Lunar is one of them and add my best higher durability guy, which is either Player Profile: Julian Reed - Hardball Dynasty Baseball | WhatIfSports or Player Profile: Benji Alou - Hardball Dynasty Baseball | WhatIfSports, both of whom have outstanding ERAs and WHIPs this season. And both of whom made the playoff roster last season. Alou got rocked while Reed was a solid contributor.
For the playoffs you should be fine. If it was regular season I'd be concerned. Playoffs and having all the days off taking the best arms is more important.
10/7/2019 3:07 PM
Here's a question I've never seen asked. Has anyone ever found a remotely usable player in the tryout camp list? Like why does this even exist?
10/9/2019 10:30 AM
Posted by Bbeebe17 on 10/9/2019 10:30:00 AM (view original):
Here's a question I've never seen asked. Has anyone ever found a remotely usable player in the tryout camp list? Like why does this even exist?
Sometimes your draft goes wonky and you end up short pitchers or position players for your rookie team. These guys are filler. Some of them turn into DiTRs down the road.

10/9/2019 12:00 PM
Tryout camp is the very cheapest way to fill your minors to avoid fatigue... no signing bonus at all.
10/9/2019 12:10 PM
Oh yeah, I've used quite a few at rookie level. Was just curious if anyone ever had one turn into a usable ML player
10/9/2019 1:50 PM
Posted by Bbeebe17 on 10/9/2019 1:50:00 PM (view original):
Oh yeah, I've used quite a few at rookie level. Was just curious if anyone ever had one turn into a usable ML player
As stated above, some of them might get ditr and become somewhat useful.

Player Profile: Jose Perez - Hardball Dynasty Baseball | WhatIfSports
Player Profile: Addison Gearrin - Hardball Dynasty Baseball | WhatIfSports
Player Profile: Hernan Lopez - Hardball Dynasty Baseball | WhatIfSports
Player Profile: Turner Titan - Hardball Dynasty Baseball | WhatIfSports
10/9/2019 4:02 PM
Quick question: for my Texas team, there are a bunch of minor league moves I want to make, but every time I hit the "submit pending moves" button it tells me that there is a database error and to contact WIS if it happens again. However, I've also been having trouble submitting a support ticket so I was hoping someone out there might be able to tell me what the issue is so I can get my rosters all set before the season gets going. Thanks in advance!
10/14/2019 3:06 PM
Posted by bruinsfan911 on 10/14/2019 3:06:00 PM (view original):
Quick question: for my Texas team, there are a bunch of minor league moves I want to make, but every time I hit the "submit pending moves" button it tells me that there is a database error and to contact WIS if it happens again. However, I've also been having trouble submitting a support ticket so I was hoping someone out there might be able to tell me what the issue is so I can get my rosters all set before the season gets going. Thanks in advance!
Jesus. I'm not sure. Maybe the system is starting to break down. : /
10/15/2019 11:01 AM
I had this happen to me a while back. I think it just went away over the course of a day or two. Hopefully you have the same result
10/15/2019 11:39 AM
Posted by hockey1984 on 10/15/2019 11:01:00 AM (view original):
Jesus. I'm not sure. Maybe the system is starting to break down. : /
Quick update on the situation: lost in the myriad of moves was the fact that they would put my AA roster at 26 active players. Since I discovered this fact, I have added a 78th move to inactivate a AA player and tried again...it worked. Moral of the story: the system might not be breaking down, but my IQ might be
10/22/2019 7:12 PM
◂ Prev 1...31|32|33|34|35...112 Next ▸
Ask the 'Someone who isn't MikeT' thread. Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.