Lets debate! Topic

This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
As a libertarian, I want government out of my life completely. California is now requiring companies to have at least 1 woman on their board of directors by the end of 2019 and must have at least 2 by the end of 2021. Government should not be involved in companies decisions. This is major government overreach.
1/29/2019 1:44 PM
That law only applies to publicly traded companies based in California. If you don’t want women on your board, stay privately held.
1/29/2019 1:58 PM
And, since most companies are incorporated in DE, it’s not clear if the law will actually apply, since the state of incorporation determines the laws surrounding the board of directors, voting, etc.
1/29/2019 1:59 PM
Barefoot, pregnant, and in the kitchen cooking up a pot roast
1/29/2019 2:01 PM
Being publicly traded should in no way give the government say in how a company should be run. These decisions should be left to the stockholders. Government has WAY too much involvement in business and it's constantly expanding.
1/29/2019 2:02 PM
Posted by strikeout26 on 1/29/2019 2:02:00 PM (view original):
Being publicly traded should in no way give the government say in how a company should be run. These decisions should be left to the stockholders. Government has WAY too much involvement in business and it's constantly expanding.
Being incorporated and publicly traded absolutely gives the government say in how companies are run. That's just a fact of business, regardless of this specific law.
1/29/2019 2:04 PM
Explain why being publicly traded gives the government the right to interfere. You say it's a fact.

Also, do you believe government should be allowed to interfere in only publicly traded businesses or all businesses?
1/29/2019 2:08 PM
There are laws regulating how often boards have to meet, who can be on the board, who has to be present, what has to be disclosed, what has to be recorded, who can vote, how much notice has to be given to shareholders, etc.. And that's before we even get to the financials.

If you don't want the government having a hand in how your business is run, you have to avoid incorporating and you have to remain privately held.
1/29/2019 2:13 PM
Posted by strikeout26 on 1/29/2019 2:09:00 PM (view original):
Explain why being publicly traded gives the government the right to interfere. You say it's a fact.

Also, do you believe government should be allowed to interfere in only publicly traded businesses or all businesses?
Being incorporated grants a business a ton of legal protection. In exchange for that, the business gives up freedom.

Being publicly traded, gives a business access to capital they might not have otherwise been able to access. In exchange for that, the business gives up freedom.

That's life. This is just one more on the list.
1/29/2019 2:15 PM
We all have government protections. It doesn't give the government the right to intrude on our lives. It should work the same for businesses. It's the government's job to protect.

Okay, I agree that when businesses start taking handouts from the government they have now sold their sole and relinquished their freedoms. This creates crony capitalism and is very dangerous.

You didn't answer the last question.
1/29/2019 2:24 PM
Posted by strikeout26 on 1/29/2019 2:24:00 PM (view original):
We all have government protections. It doesn't give the government the right to intrude on our lives. It should work the same for businesses. It's the government's job to protect.

Okay, I agree that when businesses start taking handouts from the government they have now sold their sole and relinquished their freedoms. This creates crony capitalism and is very dangerous.

You didn't answer the last question.
We all have government protections but there are times when we waive our rights in exchange for something else.

For instance, when you open a bank (or other public accommodation), you give up the right to discriminate against your customers on the basis of religion.

Open a private club or church, feel free to discriminate. Open a bank, restaurant, etc., give up that right.

1/29/2019 2:27 PM
What if the only woman on the Board wants to identify as a man the day of the Board Meeting? Is the Company then in violation of the law?
Seriously, just crazy California once again proving how crazy it is.
1/29/2019 2:27 PM

Sorry, I thought my answer was clear. I think government has the right to regulate corporations, both public and private, though the level of regulation is much higher for public companies.

And it has nothing to do with handouts. For instance, I think state governments should require commercial general liability insurance (in addition to the already mandated workers compensation insurance) for corporations. That way, a company can't cause harm, get sued, and then liquidate to avoid paying damages. If you start a sole proprietorship, you wouldn't be able to vanish into thin air, why should a corporation?
1/29/2019 2:30 PM
Posted by all3 on 1/29/2019 2:27:00 PM (view original):
What if the only woman on the Board wants to identify as a man the day of the Board Meeting? Is the Company then in violation of the law?
Seriously, just crazy California once again proving how crazy it is.
Reverse that. One man can identify as a woman on the day of meetings. Hell, pay him enough and he will self-identify as a woman all year long. What about his wife...he is gay.

Law circumvented...
1/29/2019 2:32 PM
1|2|3...228 Next ▸
Lets debate! Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.