Lets debate! Topic

Posted by bad_luck on 2/21/2019 12:52:00 PM (view original):
Also, weird theory that god will reach down and give us gills or sun-resistant skin.

Could you imagine? You wake up one day, struggling for survival against rising sea levels, wondering if today is the day the patches on your makeshift raft give out, when you reach up to scratch your neck and...flaps? Why do I have flaps on my neck? Are...are these gills? Can I breathe underwater now? Holy ****! Good lookin out, god!
LOL!! Great post.

To think God would allow us humans to just **** all over our own nest until we destroy it is kinda crazy. I never met a woman one who would stand by and allow us men to desecrate their home. Doubt that She's gonna start by allowing us to destroy her creation.
2/21/2019 12:59 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 2/21/2019 12:54:00 PM (view original):
Posted by strikeout26 on 2/21/2019 12:52:00 PM (view original):
Our government already brings in more than enough revenue. They have a spending issue.
The government is us not they. We are the government. We decide what happens.
You can keep saying this all you want. We are not the government. The government is a governing body of American citizens chosen by us. It is not us. Admittedly, we typically choose self-serving dumbasses and that is our fault.
2/21/2019 1:08 PM
Posted by strikeout26 on 2/21/2019 12:50:00 PM (view original):
Posted by wylie715 on 2/21/2019 12:37:00 PM (view original):
Posted by strikeout26 on 2/20/2019 7:46:00 PM (view original):
Posted by wylie715 on 2/20/2019 6:08:00 PM (view original):
Posted by strikeout26 on 2/20/2019 5:33:00 PM (view original):
Posted by wylie715 on 2/20/2019 4:44:00 PM (view original):
Posted by strikeout26 on 2/20/2019 1:12:00 PM (view original):
Posted by wylie715 on 2/20/2019 12:55:00 PM (view original):
Posted by strikeout26 on 2/19/2019 8:13:00 PM (view original):
If you are temporarily poor, it is misfortune and bad circumstances. If you are permanently poor, you are bad with money.
strikeout, while I agree many poor people are just bad with money, to lump all poor people like that is wrong. Some of them just don't have enough money to be bad or good with.
If they go through life without enough money to be bad or good with it then they didn't make choices that put them in a situation to earn money. America has more than enough opportunity to go around. People just have to take advantage of the opportunities.
I think it is not always that simple. Just my opinion. Not everyone has access to the same opportunities.
It's the rule. There are exceptions to every rule. I'm not talking about the exceptions. And you are right. Opportunity is not equal. I had the privilege of going to a very good prep school. I inherently had an advantage over the kids at the government schools. I'm not saying that getting rich is easy. I'm saying that not being permanently poor is easy. The opportunity is there for everyone to be rich. It's more easily obtainable for some than others, but the opportunity to not be poor is easily obtainable for everyone. It's all about making the right choices.
Strikeout, I am not saying you are wrong, but being that I am not poor, I really have no idea how easy or hard it is to not stay poor. Are you poor, or have you been poor? If not, you really don't know either. Its like CCCP saying a 2% consumption tax wouldn't make a difference to poor people. How could he possibly know? he isn't poor. You may very well be right, but since I have no idea, I won't say that. Like I originally said, it is not always that simple.
My parents made about $800 per month combined until I was about 13. There were weeks where we had hot dogs all 7 days because they were cheap at the time. I lived in a single wide trailer where our power was consistently being shut off. Yes, I have been poor.
Okay. How do you think your parents would have felt about a 2% consumption tax on everything they bought? According to cccp, 2% is no big deal. Do you thing 2% would have hurt your parents? How much did they spend out of that $800 on food, gas, clothing? Say they spent $300 total. You don't think paying another $60/month would have made a difference to them?
I'm confused. I never advocated for a higher consumption tax. I'm not advocating for any added taxes. I want our government shrunk and the budget drastically cut.
I know you never advocated about that. The whole reason I was posting about this was because CCCP (who does advocate a 2% consumption tax) said that another 2% would not hurt poor people. I said since he is not poor, he has no idea what will or will not affect poor people. My problem wasn't with you advocating any kind of tax. My issue is with cccp saying things like that.
2/21/2019 1:27 PM
Posted by strikeout26 on 2/21/2019 1:10:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 2/21/2019 12:54:00 PM (view original):
Posted by strikeout26 on 2/21/2019 12:52:00 PM (view original):
Our government already brings in more than enough revenue. They have a spending issue.
The government is us not they. We are the government. We decide what happens.
You can keep saying this all you want. We are not the government. The government is a governing body of American citizens chosen by us. It is not us. Admittedly, we typically choose self-serving dumbasses and that is our fault.
It's still us. When a politician says they'll lower taxes or expand medicaid or push policies to protect the environment or build a wall, and we elect them, we made a choice. We, as a whole, said, "yes, that is a policy we want."

Now, maybe the politician that won isn't who you voted for and their policies aren't what you'd prefer, but that doesn't change the fact that government is us.
2/21/2019 1:42 PM
All3's logic doesn't even hold up in biblical terms. God put us on the earth to be stewards of the earth, not to destroy it and hope God bails us out.
2/21/2019 1:55 PM
I'm not sure why this is a hard concept. We elect representatives to govern the country with policies and laws. The government has powers that general public does not. Our founders put into place restrictions on those powers (which many of our leaders have chosen to ignore). We select our government, but we are not the government.
2/21/2019 1:58 PM
If you are temporarily poor, it is misfortune and bad circumstances. If you are permanently poor, you are bad with money.
strikeout, while I agree many poor people are just bad with money, to lump all poor people like that is wrong. Some of them just don't have enough money to be bad or good with.
If they go through life without enough money to be bad or good with it then they didn't make choices that put them in a situation to earn money. America has more than enough opportunity to go around. People just have to take advantage of the opportunities.
I think it is not always that simple. Just my opinion. Not everyone has access to the same opportunities.
It's the rule. There are exceptions to every rule. I'm not talking about the exceptions. And you are right. Opportunity is not equal. I had the privilege of going to a very good prep school. I inherently had an advantage over the kids at the government schools. I'm not saying that getting rich is easy. I'm saying that not being permanently poor is easy. The opportunity is there for everyone to be rich. It's more easily obtainable for some than others, but the opportunity to not be poor is easily obtainable for everyone. It's all about making the right choices.
Strikeout, I am not saying you are wrong, but being that I am not poor, I really have no idea how easy or hard it is to not stay poor. Are you poor, or have you been poor? If not, you really don't know either. Its like CCCP saying a 2% consumption tax wouldn't make a difference to poor people. How could he possibly know? he isn't poor. You may very well be right, but since I have no idea, I won't say that. Like I originally said, it is not always that simple.
My parents made about $800 per month combined until I was about 13. There were weeks where we had hot dogs all 7 days because they were cheap at the time. I lived in a single wide trailer where our power was consistently being shut off. Yes, I have been poor.
Okay. How do you think your parents would have felt about a 2% consumption tax on everything they bought? According to cccp, 2% is no big deal. Do you thing 2% would have hurt your parents? How much did they spend out of that $800 on food, gas, clothing? Say they spent $300 total. You don't think paying another $60/month would have made a difference to them?
That's a nice rant, but 2% of $300 is $6, NOT $60 dollars.
Also, at least under my proposal, they would be saving much more than $6 by not paying income taxes.
2/21/2019 2:05 PM
Posted by strikeout26 on 2/21/2019 1:58:00 PM (view original):
I'm not sure why this is a hard concept. We elect representatives to govern the country with policies and laws. The government has powers that general public does not. Our founders put into place restrictions on those powers (which many of our leaders have chosen to ignore). We select our government, but we are not the government.
OK, I see the problem. You're being exceptionally literal.

When you say "the government has a spending problem," I see that as you saying something along the lines of, "hey, this other entity that we have no say in is ******* **** up."

In reality, and obviously with some exceptions, the things the government does--spending, taxing, etc.--are the things we asked it to do. We as a whole want things like Medicare or a strong military or whatever. That's what the government is spending money on. So when you say, "the government has a spending problem," you're really saying "WE have a spending problem." Because if we really didn't want the government to spend our tax dollars (or dollars we loan it through treasury bills) a certain way, we would elect politicians pushing policies to change that. But we don't, so we don't.
2/21/2019 2:07 PM
Posted by wylie715 on 2/21/2019 12:42:00 PM (view original):
Posted by all3 on 2/21/2019 10:16:00 AM (view original):
When God wants to end life on this planet he will do so, regardless of what we do to destroy or save it in the interim.
Till then, he will adapt our body's capabilities enough to allow us to remain.
In other words, we should be responsible, but not fanatical - just as we should with everything.
and what if there is no God? Who will be adapting our bodies then?
Isn't that exactly what you and everyone else was claiming happened with evolution? Living beings adapted to better cope with their surroundings? I just believe God was responsible, and some some incredible stroke of luck. Same moving forward.
2/21/2019 2:08 PM
Posted by all3 on 2/21/2019 2:05:00 PM (view original):
Also, at least under my proposal, they would be saving much more than $6 by not paying income taxes.
Someone who makes $9600 a year already doesn't pay federal income tax.
2/21/2019 2:08 PM
Posted by all3 on 2/21/2019 2:08:00 PM (view original):
Posted by wylie715 on 2/21/2019 12:42:00 PM (view original):
Posted by all3 on 2/21/2019 10:16:00 AM (view original):
When God wants to end life on this planet he will do so, regardless of what we do to destroy or save it in the interim.
Till then, he will adapt our body's capabilities enough to allow us to remain.
In other words, we should be responsible, but not fanatical - just as we should with everything.
and what if there is no God? Who will be adapting our bodies then?
Isn't that exactly what you and everyone else was claiming happened with evolution? Living beings adapted to better cope with their surroundings? I just believe God was responsible, and some some incredible stroke of luck. Same moving forward.
Wow. No. That's not what anyone says evolution is.

Were you homeschooled?
2/21/2019 2:09 PM
Here's the thing, B_L. If our government turned tyrannical (which is more like than not to happen at some point), it would not be the American people turning tyrannical. It would our government against the people. Hence, we are not the government.
2/21/2019 2:11 PM
Posted by all3 on 2/21/2019 2:05:00 PM (view original):
math never was my strong point!!! some might even say I don't have one!!
2/21/2019 2:22 PM (edited)
Posted by bad_luck on 2/21/2019 2:07:00 PM (view original):
Posted by strikeout26 on 2/21/2019 1:58:00 PM (view original):
OK, I see the problem. You're being exceptionally literal.

When you say "the government has a spending problem," I see that as you saying something along the lines of, "hey, this other entity that we have no say in is ******* **** up."

In reality, and obviously with some exceptions, the things the government does--spending, taxing, etc.--are the things we asked it to do. We as a whole want things like Medicare or a strong military or whatever. That's what the government is spending money on. So when you say, "the government has a spending problem," you're really saying "WE have a spending problem." Because if we really didn't want the government to spend our tax dollars (or dollars we loan it through treasury bills) a certain way, we would elect politicians pushing policies to change that. But we don't, so we don't.
I can't argue with this response. You could say that I am advocating for us to elect representatives that are willing to shrink government and cut spending. Our founders new the dangers of giving our government too much power. Yes, you are right. We have given them the excessive power.
2/21/2019 2:14 PM
Lol, Wylie. I wish my bank would make the same mistake with my savings account and turn the 1% interest into 10% interest.
2/21/2019 2:16 PM
◂ Prev 1...118|119|120|121|122...229 Next ▸
Lets debate! Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.