5 Man Rotation Topic

Posted by DoctorKz on 2/22/2019 5:37:00 PM (view original):
Posted by point_piper on 2/21/2019 5:26:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bagchucker on 2/20/2019 4:01:00 PM (view original):
you love what i hate

the micromanaging, the shuttling up and down between AAA and the bigs

my favorite thing is to draft a ballclub and make NO CHANGES all season long

rarely happens of course

Yeah. When I used to run 15-20+ teams at a time I did try to figure out how to use advanced settings to minimize game-to-game tinkering. But I never really got it down so I spent waaaaaay too much time managing. Keeping it to 3-4 teams at once makes it marginally more sane.

Basically, if you like to micromanage you're going to do it as much as you want. (I.e. when I use tandems I switch the roles back and forth after every game. I hate it when you have one guy go like 2-24 and the other vultures his way to 40-8.) But on the original topic, the longer your rotation and the shorter your bullpen, the more you will be forced to nitpick.
Who cares who gets the wins? Recently in a theme I used Tommy John and Scott Garrelts in a tandem, out of necessity, to be my 3rd starter.... John got no wins, Garrelts got 28, all in relief. I don't think Tommy is gonna seek reparations. ..

In my OL experiment with 4 tandems, the B guys are a combined 28-6. Nobody's complaining...
See, that just disturbs my sense of . . . fairness? Symmetry? I don't know. The point was just gently to mock my own foibles. There is obviously no competitive reason for it, I'd have thought that went without saying.

And if they were complaining about it you wouldn't know, they'd tell their agents and union rep. You have to be realistic about this man.
2/23/2019 1:45 AM (edited)
P.s. Tommy doesn't need reparations, Scott bribed him with a share of the bonus his contract gave him for winning 25+.
2/23/2019 1:50 AM
heh

point_piper might be my favorite poster ever today

2/23/2019 2:17 AM
Day-to-day tinkering is half the fun. I like the mix-and-match rotation. Draft quality and value wherever you find it. Some can pitch every 2 or 3 games, some can pitch once every 8-12 games, and everything in between. You need to adjust your rotation every day or two early in the season, less often later. I also like part time hitters because the best ones salaries haven't exploded in the updates.
2/23/2019 11:19 AM (edited)
I remember doing better than .500 with a five man rotation a few times. Not any better than that.

The trick is to think of it the way you do a team of high proportion hitters - of Stan Musials with 350 AB hitting .375 or something.

So you want a bunch of good quality starters that are cost-effective with 150-180 IP. I think it could work.

3/15/2019 4:58 PM
The problem is that there aren't a huge number of options who have the appropriate number of innings at the appropriate quality with the necessary IP/G. At 80M or above, sim leagues are basically populated by All-Star or near All-Star caliber guys. Generally speaking, guys pitching at that level get to pitch deep into games and get to take a turn every 4 or 5 days throughout the season. There are some guys who fit the bill due to injury or mid-season promotions, but there's a limited pool to draw from.

Welcome back, btw.
3/15/2019 5:18 PM
There aren't a lot, but more than 5 worthy of using. Many that do fit the bill are underused and therefore have value...moreso if salaries weren't static. I see several under ERC# of 2.40. $28M would do it...

My 4 tandem OL team is 79-50, although I need to do a bit of juggling...next time I may go 3 tandems with a full time #1 starter, and an extra RP.
3/15/2019 8:51 PM (edited)
Posted by dahsdebater on 3/15/2019 5:18:00 PM (view original):
The problem is that there aren't a huge number of options who have the appropriate number of innings at the appropriate quality with the necessary IP/G. At 80M or above, sim leagues are basically populated by All-Star or near All-Star caliber guys. Generally speaking, guys pitching at that level get to pitch deep into games and get to take a turn every 4 or 5 days throughout the season. There are some guys who fit the bill due to injury or mid-season promotions, but there's a limited pool to draw from.

Welcome back, btw.
Thanks you and DoctorKz are right of course about the limited options. If it were possible to have 5 tandems it would be interesting.
3/18/2019 7:33 AM
13 pitchers max kills that idea. You gotta have enough options in the pen. 4 tandems is doable. Some of those starters need to be checked for relief duty, which means you gotta manage pitch counts closely. Fatigue hasn't been too much of a problem. In higher caps you could splurge on your pen to counter fatigue.
3/18/2019 9:37 AM (edited)
I'm going with a five man rotation is Doc's upcoming Cactus Grapefruit League

'97 Pedro Martinez
'18 Jacob deGrom
'97 Greg Maddux
'96 Kevin Brown
'11 Roy Halladay

Innings are all between 217 and 242. First time I've done one in quite a long time
3/18/2019 8:18 PM
Posted by ozomatli on 3/18/2019 8:18:00 PM (view original):
I'm going with a five man rotation is Doc's upcoming Cactus Grapefruit League

'97 Pedro Martinez
'18 Jacob deGrom
'97 Greg Maddux
'96 Kevin Brown
'11 Roy Halladay

Innings are all between 217 and 242. First time I've done one in quite a long time
Unless you set them to go deep into games, you're going to be wasting innings
3/18/2019 10:43 PM
At 32-33 starts each, they WILL be going deep into games...no reason not to.
3/18/2019 10:46 PM
Posted by DoctorKz on 3/18/2019 10:46:00 PM (view original):
You can get at least 10% extra out of a SP, so those 242 IP guys better be ready to throw 9 innings almost every time out
3/18/2019 11:00 PM
Posted by DoctorKz on 3/18/2019 10:46:00 PM (view original):
Yes and no. The IP/9 also factors in.
3/19/2019 10:48 AM
It would be really easy to limit their pitch counts in starts and then just allow the starters to enter in relief as well.
3/19/2019 10:52 AM
◂ Prev 1234 Next ▸
5 Man Rotation Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.