I really like that idea fermor. Being able to train a player as an individual rather than a position would be amazing.
2/15/2019 3:28 PM
Bulk Recruiting is nice will need to add percentages and tabs to bulk so you don't get the wrong recruit. I use Bulk Recruiting to organized and put tabs on people I will get later.
2/15/2019 3:30 PM
I haven't read through the thread, so I apologize if this has been mentioned already or if it is technically not a part of the conversation. My #1 wish since I have played this game has always been to have the ability to redshirt more than 3 guys. I would like to redshirt as many as would be allowed, provided we can field a team with at least enough to play the game. However, I would be happy if the redshirt amount was increased to 5, 7, 10, etc. or anything about the current 3.
2/15/2019 7:35 PM
Is there a way to show the amount of interest a recruit has in your school? Maybe by a percentage. 0% means he has no interest in going to your school. 100% (green) means he is willing to sign. During the recruiting process the percentage could change and allow you to know how much of an effect your efforts are having on him. Maybe show the top 3 - 5 schools he is interested in. If you spend a fair amount of effort on a guy and his percentage doesn't change then you might decide to give up on him and move on. If you could see his percentage of interest in other schools you might be able to make a better decision on wether or not you want to battle for him.
2/15/2019 8:49 PM
seble Thanks for letting us have this discussion.
2/15/2019 8:51 PM
5 redshirts would be ideal. I'm a little surprised that more people haven't brought up the redshirt issue.
2/15/2019 9:01 PM
I always thought the ideal recruiting session would be, if I could pick the guys I want first and then everyone else can go.
What-You think I'm kidding ?
2/16/2019 11:15 AM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Posted by mojolad on 2/16/2019 11:15:00 AM (view original):
I always thought the ideal recruiting session would be, if I could pick the guys I want first and then everyone else can go.
I remember one season I had targeted two top 5 recruits that were right in my backyard, and when recruiting started, they were already green to badaxe right from the start...
2/17/2019 11:01 AM
I posted this a little over a year ago:

I wish we could have a drop down choice on the recruiting search page to select the year after the current recruiting class. Too many times I've taken a player, like a QB, that I wasn't really that fond of but he was the best option. Then, when the recruiting ends and I can see the next year's recruits of course there are 2-3 stud QB's in my back yard. Having this option would allow us to plan out our recruiting better. Like, go easy on OL recruiting this year if we could see that the highly rated OL targets the next year will be plentiful. Thoughts?
12/21/2017 1:46 PM

Certainly a "pie in the sky" request as well, but it would really help plan a recruiting strategy. Most top level RL coaches recruit kids well before their SR year of high school. I know this isn't RL, but still.
2/17/2019 12:15 PM
I read through the entire thread again. I like a lot of these suggestions. Recruiting is what separates GD from other online sim football games.

1) Injuries: I'm probably in the minority but I think injuries would be a good thing. HBD injuries alters strategy and can sometimes bring life back to coaches that have given up. Would they think they had a chance if they were going up against the division powerhouse who was missing a few players fora couple games? I've had stud pitchers and my best bat go down with an injuries in the playoffs in HBD and it ended up being a lot of fun. I was managing a new team instantly. What if overuse of players increased injuries significantly?

Injuries are a major part of real-life football at any level. Losing your stud RB for a few games because he was 70% of your offense would make things interesting. It would cause frustration - but so do injuries in real life. I think it would cause coaches to game plan - and that is a good thing. Coaches would be looking at the other team's roster before a game to see who is out - and trying different game plans to exploit weaknesses.

This could have a major impact on recruiting. Do you avoid low durability guys? Do low durability guys become become cheap bargains - but if they are healthy at the right time can help/crush your postseason dreams?

I would highly consider not implementing Durability/Injuries until D2 or D1AA. Let new coaches learn to play without the added complications of injuries. As coaches progress to D1AA and D1A deepen their experience with some pain.

2) Formation IQ adjustment: Coaches that run more than one formation on each side of the ball are at a disadvantage versus the coach that uses all practice time on just one formation. This currently prevents coaches from using several formations - and isn't realistic. I think it would be better that if you practice offensive formations it increases all (or at least some) offensive formations, etc.

A formation IQ adjustment would alter recruiting by allowing more options. In seasons that there are a lack of RBs close you could plan on using Shotgun/Trips for a season or two without major long term impact. I know from running Pro Set/3-4 "forever" I need to recruit: 1QB/1RB/1WR/a TE every other season/2OL/1DL with 2 every other season/2LB/2DB/K or P every other season. There isn't a lot of flexibility if I am building a program long term. I'm not tweaking my practice plan because if I did I'd lose a lot of ground to all of the other coaches just practicing one formation every season.

It could be a nice change of pace for coaches to take whatever talent is close to them regardless of position and build a team out of it. Some years have 6 RBs and other seasons have 2. You could switch from Wishbone/NDBox for a season to Trips/Shotgun the next season with very little penalty from switching formations.

3) Redshirt: Increasing the number of Redshirt players would be great. I'd put the redshirt cap as high as possible at 6 or 8 at D1A. Maybe start at 3 for D3 and D2 as coaches learn the game. I'd also make the change that the NCAA recently made where a player can play up to 4 games in a season and still qualify for a redshirt.

2/17/2019 1:20 PM (edited)
Posted by scrodz on 2/17/2019 11:01:00 AM (view original):
Posted by mojolad on 2/16/2019 11:15:00 AM (view original):
I remember one season I had targeted two top 5 recruits that were right in my backyard, and when recruiting started, they were already green to badaxe right from the start...
Now you're making me nostalgic. Seriously, no kidding.
Boy we had a great crew of competing managers and a great bunch of guys in the PSAC. And Baddy was probably the best of our bunch.
2/17/2019 2:20 PM
On a players page, there are tabs for stats, recruit, history, etc... There should be a tab that sums up the info from your scouting report
2/17/2019 2:53 PM
I apologize in advance for bringing this thread back to Recruiting Ideas ...

If I want to offer the same thing to several players, eg. 2 Asst Coach Scouts and 2 Asst Coach Home Visits, it would be nice to be able to do it all at once.

Also, 6-hour cycles would be an immense improvement.
2/18/2019 5:20 PM
i wonder why 6 and not 8 12 or 24
2/18/2019 5:24 PM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4|5|6...8 Next ▸

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.